Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

VINE VOICEon June 28, 2008
I own this product and have used it 3 times so far. I hate coloring my hair but refuse to pay to have my hair colored at the salon. This Colorjoi is the only product on the market (AFAIK) that helps with home hair coloring.

This product is not complicated to use. Just load the chamber with your mixed hair color then press the button to advance the hair color out of the prongs. Brush your hair with the device (like using a bulky hair brush) while holding the button down and the hair color is distributed to the root and along the length of your hair.

The Colorjoi works quite well and is much easier than sectioning hair into tiny lines and squeezing hair color along each part then combing through. I would recommend doing the back of the head separately first (the instructions only say to do that for long hair, but I think it would work best for all lengths), to make sure that the hair underneath is completely covered with hair color. I have shoulder-length hair and section the back into two sections (top of back and bottom of back) then section the front/top into right and left sides. When using the Colorjoi, I am careful to cover all areas of my head and I use a comb after putting on the color to better distribute to the ends of my hair.

The Colorjoi comes with two types of color diffusers, one for overall coloring and one for root coloring. I have only used the overall coloring one.

It holds one standard size box of haircolor and needs to be re-loaded if you use additional hair color (i usually use 1 1/2 boxes). It is not difficult to re-load, though - just unscrew the color diffuser, press down on the bottom and add more hair color.

It is somewhat difficult to clean, although the hair color chamber does easily remove from the base/handle. Even though it says to throw out the color diffuser (what the previous review was complaining about), I just wash it and reuse. It is made of heavy plastic, too heavy to seem "disposable". I put the diffuser directly under the faucet to wash out the prongs and tap it on the bottom of the sink to get the haircolor out. Just hold up to a light to see if the prongs are clean.

I did not find the written instructions long or confusing. It also comes with DVD instructions to watch a video on how it is used.

I do like this appliance. It makes haircoloring so much easier for me. I used to have a very hard time coloring my hair by myself, especially the back of my head. The Colorjoi makes it much easier and I would recommend it. It is not a holy grail product, but it is a good value when compared to salon coloring and also saves time.
on February 21, 2012
The Emjoi AP-55 Colorjoi works very well. The product is simple to use. The color system comes with instructions that are easy to follow and a DVD. The color system has two diffusers: one for roots and one for full coverage. They screw on an off for ease of change. The system requires (2) AA batteries. Install the batteries and then simply unscrew the diffuser, fill with your color (a Maximum fill line is on the side of the clear container of the system), and press the "ON" button. This pumps the color into the diffuser. Once the color appears, place on your head according to the directions and then brush into your hair.

The system works very well. It made coloring easy and expedient.

Why 4 stars? It's a little heavy and awkward; it takes a little effort to clean; and it is expensive.

You don't need to buy additional diffusers if you take the time to clean the system thoroughly. Just unscrew the container and the diffuser and wash in the sink.

Still very good product.
on June 7, 2013
I used this for the first time today. Coloring my hair has always been difficult because I am a redhead and we don't get gray hair. Redheads end up with a very hard to color white. Using the Colorjoi made it much easier to get the color down to the roots. I ended up with an even color all over and I usually have what my old hairdresser called "hot roots". I used only half of the color solution and cleanup of both the Colorjoi and its coloring attachment was very easy. Also it is much easier to dispense color with this product since you just push a button to distribute. Squeezing a bottle does not provide this kind of control. Even though this was my first time using the Colorjoi I was happy with the ease of use and the time I saved with it. It might take some individuals time to get used to it but the end result is worth it.
on November 23, 2014
Unfortunately, I was unable to even advance the hair color out of the diffuser prongs! I used Schwarzkopf Igora Royal Permanent Hair Color. Could it be it's consistency that caused the problem (sort of like a creamy pudding mixture before allowed to "set" in fridge).

Fortunately, I only paid around $8 for mine.
on December 19, 2012
It's the best and easiest way do color your hair at home. There is little to almost no mess at all. The best part is all the money I save by doing my own color at home. This is my second Colorjoi that I have purchased.
on December 28, 2014
Worked for like 3 minutes and broke down on me in the middle of coloring. New batteries didn't help either. The seller wouldn't exchage it and asked me contact the manufacturer directly. A total WASTE of money.
on May 21, 2014
I am very please with the Colorjoi tool - my roots colored completely, and it was easy to use. I cleaned the coloring unit with a teaspoon of salt in warm water and can use it again, no problem.
on February 7, 2015
A waste of money and time. I was very disappointed. I followed the instructions and the item stopped working halfway through the process.
on July 9, 2015
Really makes coloring your hair very easy..Just one problem, it won't turn off have to take the batteries out
on October 19, 2014
It seemed a little complicated at first, but it did a good job and was easy to use.