Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Emjoi AP-9L Epi Slim Cosmetic Hair Remover
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 30, 2007
I just don't know how I got along before I got this thing. I wish I had gotten it years ago....it would have saved me SO MUCH time! I have very dark, coarse hair, and I have always manually tweezed unwanted facial hair. It was very time consuming, and I always felt like I was fighting a losing battle, because I just couldn't keep up, and it would grow faster than I could pluck! :-) Then I got this, and it was so incredibly FAST and THOROUGH! Even when I plucked, I'd miss all the little hairs. This thing gets 'em all! I'm not sure how it works on fine-haired people, but it's GREAT for me! **Special note...Epilators and auto-tweezers such as these are much less painful for you IF and ONLY IF you are used to plucking & waxing to begin with. If you are a newbie to the world of hair-removal, then I'm afraid there's no getting around it hurting, until you get used to it. If the process of hair-removal is old-hat for you, then your skin will be used to it, and you will be VERY pleased with this product!
88 comments|561 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2005
I initially bought two of these: one for my face and one for my underarms. I was a little concerned because this took a battery, however the battery last really long, so you don't need to go through a lot.

First the face: I can't really tell if it's working on the very fine hair on my face because I have noticed that sometimes this just cuts the hair rather then pull it out (too thin to grab?). It's a little sore to use on sensitive places like the face, but still much more comfortable then wax or other epilators I have tried. Because it does sting a little, I am assuming that it is pulling the hair out, but the hairs are too fine to actually see if it got the bulb/root and all. Also, some of the hair seems to be back within days so I know those are the ones that have only been cut. But majority of my face stays hair free for weeks!!

For the underarms: Works WONDERFULLY!! Because the hair under the arm is a little thicker, the Epi Slim Compact Epilator actually grabs it much easier and I find it doesn't hurt at all, rather it's just a slight 'tug'. I don't have to worry about my underarms at all for at least a week! And all the red bumps and razor burn have gone away so I am left with only smooth underarms! I love it for this reason!

Would buy again!
11 comment|270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2010
I bought this product intending to use it on my bikini zone. I'm very pleased with it. I've tried shaving and waxing and even Nair and everything either gave me razor burns, ingrown hairs, or irritated my skin. Buying an epilator was my last ditch effort at an at-home brazilian before I was going to try a professional salon (expensive $$$). I"m so glad that I bought this! It works just like it is intended to. It pulls the hairs out by the roots with minimal skin irritation. And while it's a much slower process than waxing, it works just as well. Be warned- this is a painful process just like waxing. And it's slower because it only removes 1-5 hairs at a time. If you've never waxed before or epilated before I would suggest that you go to a spa or salon and get it waxed first. That way when the hairs grow back it will be less dense and you won't have to epilate as much or as long.

Ability to remove hair - 10/10 (You can see the root bulbs on the hairs too so you know it's getting the whole thing)

Ease of use - 7/10 (It takes a bit of getting used to at first because you have to use it at the right angle)

Painlessness of process - 4/10 (Hurts as much as waxing but takes longer, however it doesn't damage the skin)

Time it takes - 3/10 (It's a long process. I spend about 5 minutes on my brazilian. Legs would take at least 10-15 each)

Smoothness - 10/10 (leaves my skin baby butt smooth)

Longevity of results - 8/10 (Hairs grow at different rates so I have to epilate once a week)

Non-irritation of the skin - 10/10 (doesn't hurt the skin, zero razor burn, chemical burn, wax burn, or ingrown hairs. This is the ONLY thing that leaves my bikini area 100% bump free)
0Comment|218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2012
I'm glad all of the normal, non-mutant-haired women out there are getting so much from this product! This thing merely yanks at and ultimately breaks off all the chin and neck hairs I've tried this on. After using, my skin is luxuriously red, bumpy, and what? Full of stubble! Yes, those once long, coarse hairs have been snapped off to create a sumptuous buffet for the senses: hard, brittle, stubble. I end up going back to digging out the hairs with tweezers. For ages I have been living with a red, bumpy, but mostly hair-free chin and neck area using tweezers and was hoping for something more thorough. Which would you rather live with, red bumps and in-grown hairs or a rockin' 5 o' clock shadow at noon? Yeah.
My sense is that this epilator isn't really meant for the face and/or certain types of hair. (ie my extra coarse mutant hair) Some of the hairs on my neck also lay very flat and close to the skin, which seem to get skipped over entirely by the AP-9L, the ones that do get grabbed though break off into stubble it seems.

My next move is to try one of the Braun Silk Epils. According to the product info their epilators push flat-lying hairs forward so they can be grasped and pulled more effeciently. After that, I think I'll be old enough to just not care anymore.
on January 16, 2010
I discovered the existence of epilators only last year when I was doing a random search on the internet on "hair removal". I'm not sure why epilators aren't not talked about as often as waxing. I'm so happy that I made this discovery. After doing a thorough research, I decided to get the Emjoy AP-9L Epi Slim because I didn't want to invest a lot of money into it and plus it had very positive reviews. I was not sure how painful it was going to be even though I am very used to plucking and waxing. I wax my upper lip but this was a whole new ball game.

When I first turned on the epilator, I was so intimidated by the rotating tweezers! Finally I got the courage to use it on my upper lip. I usually wax my upper lip once a week so my hair was long enough to grasp for the wax. I thought is only hurt a little bit (kind of like when you pluck your hair out with a tweezer) but the more I used it, the less painful it became. Initially, I thought, "wow, now I don't need to wax anymore" but I realized that I had to go over the same spot several times before getting "most" of the hair out (as other reviewers had mentioned). It didn't get the teenie hairs that are barely sprouting like I could with wax. Because this was my first epilator, I wasn't sure if I was using this correctly so I did go on their website and watched the video on how to use this. It was much better than plucking with tweezers but I found myself going back to waxing within a month because it did miss the smaller, finer hairs.

I also tried to do the bikini area and under arms but it was unsuccessful. Again, I had to go over the same spot over and over until I got "some" hair out. I have to say that this seems to get the coarser/thicker hair better than fine hair. But I was not satisfied.

I am conflicted about whether I should give this epilator a 2 or 3 stars. I don't think it's THAT bad, especially with the price...but at the same time, I don't think it's that great (especially now that I've tried a new epilator). I think it is better than plucking individual hairs out with tweezers though it won't get all of them. I have to say that using this epilator gave me the courage to try a bigger and better epilator.

After a couple of months of doing another round of epilator research, I decided to get the Braun 5270 Silk-épil X'elle Body System Epilator...and what a difference it made in my life! I love it! It's fast and gets the tiniest hairs out! Please read my review for it if you are interested.
11 comment|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
First of all, I have polycystic ovary syndrome, which means I would seriously grow a full beard if I didn't take off that hair...and when I was a teen, I started shaving it. I never wanted anyone to know I had this problem...we're not talking a few stray hairs to pluck, either. We're talking DON JOHNSON. Anyway, after 30 yrs of shaving it off, and feeling self-conscious because my stubble would grow out within the day and it looked like gun powder residue...I couldn't afford electrolysis and have tried all the remover products, which on daily-shaved skin are like atomic bombs, and bleaching just doesn't cut it with a beard...you end up having moms chasing you thru the mall, wanting pictures of you with their kids on your knee. I HAD HEARD THAT EPILATORS WERE HORRENDOUSLY PAINFUL. Not my personal favorite thing, pain. So I never bought one...until I read the reviews on this one...and IT'S AWESOME! Sure, it smarts when it is ripping out your hair by the tufts, but it's only for a minute, ladies! My coloring is very light, and I tend toward reddish skin, so I expected to be beet-red after using it. NOPE, just a bit pinker than usual and it is just amazing. IF I'D HAVE KNOWN IT WAS THIS CHEAP, EASY AND RELATIVELY PAINLESS, I'D HAVE DONE THIS YEARS AGO. It isn't pain-free, but it sure is a lot nicer to see and feel that smooth skin instead of velcro.

Update: It's been going strong, daily, since I bought it in January '12, and no problems whatsoever! My only complaint, if I need one, is that it eats batteries. It has to have fresh batteries or it lags and won't snag the hairs...the batteries can still be good for something else, but not for the Emjoi...however, if buying a pack of batteries every so often means having a smooth face, then I'm good. If it had a cord or the option of having a cord, or a cordless model, I'd buy that, too.
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2007
I've been having waxing for removal of facial hair and this is much better and I can do it myself. The directions are easy to follow and it's easy to clean. It will pay for itself as I no longer have to pay for waxing. The older I get, the less hair I have on my legs and more on my face. This helps me to feel more confident without wondering if someone can see the ugly facial hairs. Thanks.
0Comment|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2005
As a product, this is great. It works great, but it is still painful. Doesn't waste batteries, and it's cordless, so no mess like wax, but it doesn't remove hair as good as wax does. Sometimes it cuts hair instead of removing it from the root, as all epilators do. Good purchase for the price
on October 3, 2011
Hair removal is one of those subjects one discusses only with close g-friends, and only with those who ask. Since you're here reading reviews, I'm guessing that you're on a need-to-know basis--perhaps someone who, like myself, has a little "lady mustache" you'd really like to get rid of, quickly, effectively, cheaply, and possibly even painlessly.
I was handing over $13 (including tip) every time I asked the nice woman at the threading salon to do her thing with the string and de-mustache me. At first, 13 bucks once a month wasn't what I'd call overspending. Unforch, necessity dictated that I start to visit the salon twice a month. That came to $312 a year that Suze Orman would've begged me to put into an interest-bearing account (do those exist anymore?). Factor in train fare and we're up to $408 of k-ching a year--just to keep me from looking like the Frito Bandito.
Emjoi Ap-9L Cosmetic Hair Remover to the rescue! I bought it on the basis of reviews here on good ol' Amazon, and I thank the people who also told their embarrassing hair removal stories. I pay the favor forward. In short: This thing works. I use it on my upper and lower lip areas, my chin, and on the (ahem) bikini area. The Emjoi is as effective as my dear threading lady, which is to say that it will remove most hairs, occasionally break others, and leave some behind. You will have to go over the area a few times. TIP: For optimal results, apply a little baby powder or corn starch to the area you're depilating so the mechanical tweezers grab only the hair and don't catch on your skin.
Oh, you want to know about the pain? Of course it hurts a little; you're ripping hairs out of your skin at high speed. But on a pain scale of 0 (none) to 10 (you can hear my scream in Ohio), I would give this a 2 1/2. As for my overall 4-star rating, I didn't give it five only because I do have to go over the area a few times more often than I thought; also, sometimes the tweezers break the hairs, which leaves me with stubble to yank another day. That could be particular to my hair, though.
I hope this was helpful because I am just blushing away. See what I do for my friends?
Suzan Colón
Author of Cherries in Winter: My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard Times (Vintage)
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2009
I own the Braun Silk-epil Expressive Epilator and I'm happy with it. But, I wanted a small one for more delicate areas (i.e. under arms & bikini). Unfortunately, this one didn't remove a thing. The tweezer head is curved (vs. straight across) and unless you have long hairs to pluck, this won't do a thing for you. I'm familiar with epilating and tried every which way to get it to work, but to no avail. I printed out my return label & I'm heading to the post office today.