Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 19, 2012
Dr. Bill Polonsky, founder of the Behavioral Diabetes Institute, captures the importance of this book in the forward: "It is perhaps then no surprise that so many of us end up at war with food: it is the enemy, yet it is also what gives us comfort and pleasure. We must not ever surrender, and yet we must." Many of us have a complex relationship with food, and diabetes only intensifies that relationship.

Vieira's book walks you through the psychology of emotional eating, provides you with practical solutions to the common issues, and includes action-provoking questions above space to write out your answers. This book is not meant to be read, it is meant to be used as a tool for personal transformation. So be warned: if you're not ready to change your behaviors, then this book will not be a good investment. If you are ready to act, I highly recommend it.

Here are the chapter titles:
1. Emotional Eating with Diabetes
2. Habits that Lead to Overeating
3. Over-treating Low Blood Sugars
4. Using Food to hide Your Emotions
5. A Positive Relationship with Food
6. Setting Yourself up for Success
7. You Are Living in Progress

At 46 pages, this is a short and easy read. Don't judge the value by the length. It's not mean to teach diabetes diet, but to promote a positive transformation. As the words that fill page 7 shout, "A healthy relationship with food is about feeling proud of your choices whether you choose carrots or ice cream." Getting you to this transformative space is Vieira's goal, and I believe her book will help many do so.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've worked with Ginger Vieira on many projects over the years and think she is a real hero for dedicating her life to helping others.
on December 19, 2012
Just finished reading "Emotional Eating with Diabetes" by Ginger Viera, and I must say how impressed I am with its common-sense approach in how to accomplish success for anyone who feels they are in a constant losing battle with food. Chapters 2 (Habits that lead to overeating) and 3 (Over-treating low blood sugars) are quite important to me as I've struggled with these issues for many years. The worksheets throughout the book are particularly helpful in pin-pointing and outlining certain areas in need that can pertain to me alone; I can use these as guides if I begin to regress. I highly recommend this book to all diabetics who feel that poor eating habits, by way of old myths and/or emotions, have gone out of control and need to make a healthier change.
on March 23, 2013
I went into the book with my guard up. She can't tell me anything useful or that I don't already know. By the third chapter, I had a lump in my throat. Ginger knows what it is like to live with diabetes and deal with food, but she also knows how to help you question your own interactions with food. I think it is a wonderful read and I'll be applying what she shared.
on July 26, 2013
I have been type 1 diabetic or almost 19 years now (diagnosed at the age of 18). Over the years I've done a lot of research on diabetes and have been trying to understand my body in order to live the best life I can with this illness. No matter how long I've lived with diabetes, or how much I've learned, I realized our education as diabetics is never really done. I find new ways of thinking about things every day, with the source usually being a fellow type 1 diabetic.

In this book, Vieira, a fellow type 1 diabetic, explores a subject very apropos to dealing with diabetes. Not just the battles with food, carb counting and medications - but the underlying factors that drive diabetics crazy when we find ourselves forced to constantly think about the food we eat. Unlike healthy non-diabetics who may occasionally do so when trying a new diet for example, we as diabetics have no choice but think in depth about food all the time. This may lead to emotional eating and frustrations that only add to the struggles we already deal with.

This is a simple, well-written book with easy to follow philosophy and exercises. Issues such as over-treating low blood sugar, overeating in general or hiding your emotions with food are issues that many of us have experienced. Even if you think you know everything there is to know about diabetes and food - give this book a try. It may surprise you.
on November 9, 2013
This is an uncomplicated and helpful book. Even if you are familiar with nutrition and diabetes, you will find good tips. I would not recommend the Kindle version - all of the helpful worksheets are lost in the transfer to e-book.
on January 19, 2013
Ginger gives us some great guidelines when approaching food. Bottom Line - Food isn't our enemy. Many of us need a new relationship with food. We need to see food as fuel for our bodies and none of it as forbidden. The more we hold specific foods at a distance, the more we want them. Stop! Ginger encourages us to enjoy these foods within our daily caloric needs.

Ginger discusses how to develop a healthy relationship with food. If you struggle with emotional eating, this book will set you free! Ginger is amazing at breaking down these complex issues without making you feel guilty in the process. If you're ready, Emotional Eating with Diabetes offers you a new relationship with food.
on April 6, 2013
I like this book because it is written in an easy to understand style. There are so many helpful suggestions, and I consider it a reference material of the highest quality.
on January 31, 2013
my wife wanted this book to help us with our diabetes since we both have it and want to helpit
on May 28, 2013
i've been diabetic for 22 years and have struggled with the emotional attachment to food that often goes hand-in-hand with type 1. I found this book helpful and inspiring, but it was so short! more info, inout and advice is needed to really start a lifestyle change.
on December 24, 2013
All in large print, so if it was in 'regular' print, the book would have been only about 4 pages long.. I really expected more information. But still was okqy.