I think often people aren't even aware of how negative emotions, stressful situations, fears or difficult relationships can impact the quality of their daily lives.

Published on January 1, 2010 by Eva

3.0 out of 5 stars The "Gentle Persuader"
Published on March 13, 2010 by Bob Dog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The "Gentle Persuader", March 13, 2010
This review is from: Emotional Freedom Practices: How to Transform Difficult Emotions into Positive Energy (Audio CD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There can be no doubt that Dr. Orloff is entirely sincere in her goals to help women handle feelings of inadequacy, loneliness, and envy. Having listened to the two CD set "Emotional Freedom," I am convinced that she is saying many of the right things. Her philosophy is to address emotional growth through gentle, self-affirming goodness. Yet the overwhelming drawback to these CDs, like the joke she tells about the Buddhist vacuum cleaner ("It has no attachments"), is that her presentation lacks attachments, charisma, or personality. And this is too bad, because I get that sense that Dr. Orloff has a strong personality. But at least on these CDs, it has been smoothed away by relentless, restrained, discipline.

There is a simple rule most smart publishers usually share with their authors who want to narrate their own audio releases; "Don't even think about it." I'm searching for the right words to describe Dr. Orloff's narration of her own material. How about mind numbing, bone crushing monotone.

As a man, I'll admit that these CDs aren't designed for me. Yet being a man, its easier for me to imagine myself on a blind date with Dr. Orloff. After ordering the lobster, I can envision being impressed with her gentle, graceful composure, as well as with her extensive knowledge and awareness. But at the end of the evening, desperately fighting to maintain consciousness ("Yes, black coffee. Please hurry.") I'd feel like saying or doing anything that would get Dr. O. to express any sort of powerful, honest, or personal emotion! ["Would you kindly give me one of your shoes. Your shoe? Yes, hand me - either one of your high heels. I'm giving it back you. Take it. Yes. Now, bang it on the table. Use the heel. No, harder. Harder! Sure, people will stare. Who cares. OK, now tell me something really funny that happened to you today. Nothing? Alright, how about something that made you really angry.....besides me...."]

Part of the problem is that she never pierces the veil of impersonality. Its so academic, dry and general. Everything she is supposed to be talking about - inadequacy, loneliness, self-esteem, envy, etc. - well, they are all very personal feelings.

I once took a two-day seminar where the presenter was a woman from Sicily. She constantly wandered off script whenever she felt she needed to make a point, pursue a personal thread of the discussion, challenge a member of the audience, or bring home a personal anecdote. The success of the course was entirely due to these many departures from the main path. This is difficult to do on a CD recording without being able to respond to the audience. But it is essential to have an effective means of delivery, because without it, even the best material will be wasted.

Dr. O's presentation makes her sound like a WASP - a white, anglo-saxon protestant. Lovely people, but unceasingly careful about straying from the acceptable, polished image. Her last name is Orloff, so I would have expected some charisma from her ethnicity. Somewhere along the way, at least with regard to this recording, her charisma was suppressed.

Finally, I will make a comment about the material. The breadth of Dr. Orloff's message seems to be limited to the listener's own compassion, kindness, love and forgiveness. This is great. But I don't think anyone can achieve emotional freedom without holding the world around us to some minimal level of accountability. Its as if Dr. Orloff is limiting accountablity for our circumstances entirely to ourselves. No doubt most of how we feel is our own responsibility. But I think rather than focus only on how we should forgive, love, and be kind to the idiot ex-husband (for example), I think it might be more healthy to allow for the possibility that the ex-husband is a cheap, insensitive idiot. Then, having affirmed this reality, we can then move on by deciding how we are going to respond to that circumstance in our lives, to achieve emotional freedom despite negative circumstances.

Anyway, if you prefer the pure, even toned, approach and feel unusually well rested and energetic, give these CDs a try. Otherwise, I would suggest something else with a little more pizzaz, or perhaps a mode of delivery with a little more energy, such as a video.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beneficial lessons for anyone stressed out, anxious or needing courage, January 1, 2010
Eva (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Whether it's the long checkout line in the grocery store, heavy traffic, aggravating relatives, annoying coworkers, everyday life can generate unpleasant emotions that can have detrimental consequences to our emotional as well as our physical health.

I found Dr. Orloff's Emotional Freedom Practices CD set to be very helpful in identifying common causes of things that make me feel stressed out, angry or frustrated and taught me some practical and easy-to-use techniques to deal with them.

I think these CDs would be beneficial to someone who deals with any level of anxiety, fear, stress, anger, frustration or jealousy or knows someone who has trouble with these issues and wants to better understand them and help them work through these emotions in a positive way, by developing new coping techniques.

The strategies you learn are quick and easy to start using in your day-to-day life.

After listening to the sessions on the 2 discs, I felt calmer as well as more prepared to handle stress. I also tried a couple of the things suggested the day after I listened to the CD and yes, they do work.

Some times little changes can make a big difference in your outlook.

Whether you are using these CDs along with reading the book "Emotional Freedom" or on their own, I really feel that the valuable lessons you learn will help you get a better understanding of negative emotions and how to deal with them so you can be a more positive, confident and relaxed person who can take the stresses of everyday life in stride.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the deepest, but useful, January 4, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoyed listening to these CDs because they offered a positive way to think about disturbing emotions. I found her delivery friendly, open, and self-revealing.

There are little quizzes she asks you to take before delving into a particular feeling, to assess how deeply it's ruling your life. Unlike many questionnaires of this type, hers are not pathologizing, just elucidating. They may not be comprehensive, but they definitely give you an idea of how much your life is affected by a particular emotion.

I agree with another reviewer that the techniques are not necessarily new, or fleshed out as much as one might wish; however, it is soothing and helpful to listen to her; and, I believe you will benefit.
Frankly, if you come away from the experience with a bit more compassion for yourself it will have been worth the price. Hearing a kind voice say reassuring things can be healing in its own way. As you listen to Dr.Orloff talking lovingly about some very serious emotional states, it provides you with a template of how to talk to yourself with patience and kindness. If you only did that one thing, your life would improve radically.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Message, March 8, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first caveat to say about any audio material is that you're going to have a personal reaction - good or bad - to the voice used. They've done numerous studies with GPSs and they find that a GPS whose vocal patterns tend to match the listener is most appreciated. That is, if you're a New Yorker, you tend to like a GPS that talks like a New Yorker. It's the way humans are. So I'm sure there are some people who will adore this author's voice and find it perfect for their needs. I found it to be sharp, dry, and detached. When someone is coaching me in the sensitive area of my emotions, I want them to sound warm and caring. So that's my preference and it's reasonable that others will have other reactions.

I listened through the CD set a few times to give it a fair time and I do have to say that as you become more familiar with her, almost "getting to know her", that the voice can grow on you.

Dr. Orloff steps you through how to deal with your emotions of fear, anger, disappointment, and other negative issues into supportive emotions. She both talks about how the negative emotions tend to occur and to provide ideas about ways to cope with them. One of her examples that stuck with me involved patience and lines. Let's say you tend to get agitated and angry when waiting in lines. Try instead to think of them as meditative learning times - and even deliberately allow someone to step in front of you sometime. See how happy they are! Over a little line-skip! Of course I chuckle when I hear this one each time because my mental image involves people *behind* me in line. I bet they won't be quite so pleased that I'm letting someone with a big cart of groceries come before everyone else. I think she probably meant that I had to be the last person in my line before I did this kind-hearted act.

Dr. Orloff's point is that our emotions are simply what we have trained ourselves over a period of time to feel in a situation. A line is neutral - it's neither good or bad! We can be peaceful and happy in the line, or we can be stressed. Why be stressed when we can be happy! Is it somehow 'better' to be stressed, or more beneficial to our health? Hardly!

You could say "well yes but sometimes other people are doing things to cause you stress." To this I would rebut with the famous Eleanor Roosevelt quote, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." That is, sure other people will do all sorts of annoying and idiotic and troublesome things. That's what they do. You can't change them. What you *can* change is how you conduct your own world within your own brain. You have complete influence over your own emotions and reactions and thoughts.

Relatives can be troublesome. Of course they can! Look at all the movies and books and plays involving troublesome relatives. For any story you have, literature has situations that are far worse. These things happen and are normal. You can't wish yourself into an imaginary ideal family with no conflict at all. However you can change your own view of the situation and how you choose to react to the drama. You can learn to be at peace with yourself and your choices, whatever the random roller-coasters of the world around you might do.

Are there down sides here, beside the voice? Well, I have to say that I had a few people listen to parts with me and the voice did put them off. So be aware that that might be a hurdle that you personally don't feel like overcoming. Also, some people might find the information simplistic. "Sure, I should be less angry at my really annoying brother who drives me absolutely insane. But HOW do I do that??" The CD gives you a few tools but not a great number, and it doesn't delve into them in great detail. It might have been far better to make a single CD all about family problems for example. Talk about a variety of family problems, about the different types of dynamics, and then provide a number of ideas for addressing each one. That way a person who has a problem comes away with a real hope for finding success.

That is, I think most people who pick up this CD don't need long descriptions of why it's not good to get stressed when family members do insane things. I think most listeners *know* they don't want to get stressed and wish there was a way not to get stressed. The CD tries to cover too much ground with the background and the why-you-should-change (which we don't really need) and not enough on the "here is what to do" (which we desperately want).

Still, there is good material here, and it can be enough to get someone on the right path and taking those first steps.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Packed with Great Information and Suggestions, January 19, 2010
TC (NC, United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have listened to this twice now--probably about 1 month apart. Both times, I discovered quite a few gems of wisdom and helpful ideas so that i can overcome my fears and frustrations better. I also loved he reminded about baby steps being ok and giving the metaphor that a small plant will die if it is planted in a large container too soon. I have always heard baby steps and try to remind myself that baby steps are ok and necessary--but somehow that metaphor drove it home in a way that i have never understood it before.

I find that after listening to this CD, I am much more patient and loving and courageous. I think I will listen to the CD many more times--until the material is kind of ingrained--my goal being that the love and patience and courage would become more ingrained. It has a big calming effect on me and is very grounding listening to it.

I think, however, that I also want to get the book by the same title because I also enjoy being able to look at the words and make notes. I listen to this in the car and find that sometimes I wished I had some stuff written down.

At first I was skeptical of this CD. I have listened to and read many things on this and similar subjects and I thought--how can there be much new information in such a short amount of time--it is only a couple hours long. But I have found lots of new information as well as old information presented in new ways and am quite thrilled with this material.

There are exercises and meditations that you can do so if you only listen to this in the car, you will not get the full effect of it. However, I also realize that for me, listening in the car and then bringing it in the house to do the meditations can be very helpful. I like to listen to the meditations before I actually participate in them.

I would highly recommend this, especially if you are struggling with fear and frustration.

UPDATE: Just to add-the CD's also speak on dealing with loneliness--which was interesting for me to hear but not as relevant to me as the fear and frustration. However, I realized I should mention it because some people might be much more interested in that than the other. The thing I found most fascinating on the subject of loneliness was how the body generates oxytocin--a feel good chemical--when you connect with other people. Although she didn't get too technical about it, she did give some of the background for it (or the science about it)--which i found interesting and also confirming of what I have sensed in my own body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Means For Overcoming Negative Emotions!, January 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Dr. Orloff narrates this CD in such a way that it makes one feel as if one is in a personal counseling session with her... and that's a GREAT thing. :)

Never preachy, Orloff provides descriptions of emotional reactions one may have to certain situations; quizzes to determine whether one has difficulty with handling a specific emotion; guidance toward defining triggers for one's negative responses; and practical activities to change one's physiological, psychological, and/or spiritual response and alter one's reactions in the future.

Many will appreciate that Dr. Orloff places as much emphasis on the "subtle energies" of the human experience as she does on the biological reactions to stress and negative emotions. Her approach to achieving emotional freedom from negative situations involves the mind, body, and spirit - medical science and energetic spirituality - on equal terms.

Orloff gives examples of meditations/mantras and other self-care methods one may use to overcome fear, anxiety, and other stressful feelings. She doesn't pressure the listener to be perfect, but encourages one to incorporate some of these practices into daily life; to learn bit-by-bit, one day at a time, how to handle situations with a little more patience, strength, and an open heart. To grow as a human being and be comfortable in one's skin.

I feel that I will make listening to excerpts from this CD part of my daily self-care practice. The reminders about these important life skills are something I wish to incorporate into my personal growth on a continual basis. With just one listen, I gained much insight from the quizzes, and was able to recall Orloff's suggestions when a stressful situation arose; with repeated listening, I believe and hope that these actions will become habit. Dr. Orloff's humor, compassionate tone, insights, and tips ensure the program will remain fresh for repeat listening. It makes me want to schedule a personal session with her! I will definitely be buying the book on which these practices are based.

Dr. Orloff is remarkably adept at condensing help for dealing with negative emotions, from both medical and spiritual perspectives, into such clear, concise, and practical terms. This would be a great drive-time listen for anyone stressed out by work/boss or family situations... or by any circumstance to which one finds one's self reacting in a way that is not comfortable or optimal.

Very highly recommended... give it a listen before your next family gathering! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Orloff, March 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have watched a number of shows with Dr. Orloff but never got a book (print or audio) before this one was offered on teh Vine.

The cds are broken down into sections like "tranforming anger" so you can start by working on whatever issue is bothering you first then go thru the others. She has a calm voice, that is easy to listen too (a KEY component in an audio book). I tried to listen to this while doing other things and that was a bad idea, One really needs to sit and absorm what she is talking about as well as do the meditaions. Can't really do that while driving or housecleaning.

I found this audio book to be powerful but easy to comprehend and utilize. Anyone can easily get control of their emotion turmoil if they listen to this. I am looking at other books/audio books now by Dr. Orloff because I liked this one so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practices Everyone Needs to Help Them Deal With Today's Stress, January 14, 2010
I really recommend that everyone should listen to this insightful CD. It is very powerful yet it contains simple ways to create more emotional freedom in your life in order to deal with the turmoil of today's times! Dr. Orloff is again at the top of her game with fresh new ideas to help bring more peace and tranquility into our lives. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and helping us to get in touch with our true selves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable insights and exercises about transforming emotional states, December 24, 2009
Jed Shlackman (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Dr. Judith Orloff is a holistic psychiatrist who focuses on teaching people psychospiritual approaches to handling psychological challenges. In this 2-CD set Dr. Orloff shares exercises to help transform emotions such as fear, anxiety, frustration, and loneliness. Activating qualities such as courage, self-esteem, connection, and patience, Orloff guides the listener to begin to experience things in a different way. The guidance includes a variety of cues to help the listener relate their emotions to where they are processed in the body. There are many good insights here to build self-awareness and develop skills to process emotions in constructive ways. One thing that I found missing here was more input about how belief-structures underlying emotional patterns may be addressed. The approach Orloff shares may slowly help a person shift from negative thinking to positive thinking, but there are sometimes ways to foster a more rapid shift. I also found Dr. Orloff's voice to be not the ideal at times, as a more soothing, hypnotic tone would be beneficial during guided imagery/sensory exercises. Overall, I found this CD set to be helpful. As a holistic counselor and healer I find Dr. Orloff's approaches to be useful and would encourage those seeking to overcome emotional challenges to consider this recording as a potential tool to help them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Tool for a Positive New Years Resolution, December 29, 2009
Pure Heart (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I recommend this CD. It is filled with practical and essential information. And,extra bonus material. Anyone who has read or seen Dr Orloff makes this a must hear! I shared it with friends and family and will give it as a thoughtful gift. I will listen to it over and over.
I will be a very helpful tool for those that choose a New Years Resolution to liberate themselves from negative emotions.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›