5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Book!
I read the authors' first emotional intelligence book, and I think that 2.0 is a huge improvement. Here's a chapter by chapter look at why:

FOREWORD BY PATRICK LENCIONI
Published on January 19, 2011 by David Anderson

1.0 out of 5 stars Little Substance
Published on May 26, 2011 by JK

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Book!, January 19, 2011

FOREWORD BY PATRICK LENCIONI
Lencioni is one of those gurus that has sold millions of books, none about emotional intelligence (EQ). As Lencioni proclaims in the foreword, he's no EQ expert, but he sees everyday how critical a skill it is to have and he's so enthusiastic about this book because it's the first he's read that actually shows you how to increase your EQ and apply it in your life.

THE JOURNEY
This chapter opens with a riveting story of a surfer who is attacked by a great white shark in California. I won't spoil it by telling you how, but the story is a great illustration of the power of emotion and how important it is to understand and manage our emotions. This chapter also illustrates how our brains are wired to react to events emotionally before our reason kicks in, and it lays the groundwork for the process by which the rest of the book will teach you to increase your EQ.

THE BIG PICTURE
This chapter teaches what EQ is and what it isn't. For example, a lot of people mistakenly think that EQ is a part of your personality. To the contrary EQ is separate from your personality, just as it is separate from your intellect, or IQ. It begins to build your understanding of emotions by showing what the five core emotions look like in varying degrees of intensity. Next the authors fun and engaging approach explains studies that illustrate how important EQ is in daily living. They show how your EQ impacts things like your tolerance for change, how you manage stress, even how much money you make!

-DIGGING IN: MY EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE ACTION PLAN-
If you haven't already, by this point in the book you need to open the orange envelope inside the back cover and retrieve the unique passcode that lets you go online to take the Emotional Intelligence Appraisal test. I'd actually heard of this test (it's the most widely used EQ test out there), so I thought it was pretty cool that they let you take it for free with the book. In addition to revealing your EQ scores, your test results guide you through the areas you need to work on improving the most. This chapter helps you to develop your plan of attack, including the action plan where you actually record what it is your going to do and by when.

-SELF-MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES-
(ACTUALLY THERE IS A CHAPTER OF STRATEGIES FOR EACH SKILL, BUT I'LL JUST DESCRIBE THIS ONE)
This section of the book has 66 strategies to increase your EQ. Each strategy is well-detailed (most 2-3 pages) and something that you can begin doing immediately. Your test results tell you which EQ skill you need to work on the most (for me it was Self-management), as well as which of the chapter's strategies will increase your ability in that skill the most. I thought this part was pretty cool. Basically, the test analyzed my score profile and picked the three strategies that would improve my biggest weaknesses in self-management. One of the strategies it suggested, Breathe Right, hit the nail on the head. I'm not one of these people that needs to take a deep breath to calm down and stop being angry, which is good because that's NOT what the strategy is teaching. Actually, it illustrates how some of us, when left to our own devices, breathe too shallow, which deprives some of the higher (rational) areas of the brain of the oxygen needed to keep us completely calm and focused. So now, whenever I need to clear my head, think on my feet at work, make a tough decision, figure out what I should get my wife for her birthday, etc. I use this breathing strategy, and I'm continually amazed by how quickly it makes me calm and focused. Anyway, that's just one self-management strategy, but I thought it'd be useful for you to see what one is like in detail.

-EPILOGUE--JUST THE FACTS: A LOOK AT THE LATEST DISCOVERIES IN EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE-
This epilogue is quite interesting. The authors' company is a think tank that has tested more than half a million people worldwide, and they share some of the more interesting conclusions from their data that didn't show up earlier in the book. For example, women outscore men in overall EQ, but the sexes have an equal ability in self-awareness (men fall short because they do less with the emotional information they take in). Anyhow, there are studies of EQ differences across various generations (Boomers vs. Millenials is really interesting), in different job titles (CEO's have the lowest EQ in the workforce!), and even US vs. China (our new, big economic competitor).

-DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR READING GROUPS-
This last appendix has some great questions for discussion. I'm not in a book club, but my wife read the book and we talked about some of these questions and it led to some really interesting discussions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enables Success, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Hardcover)
This book is unlike any I've ever come across in its ability to enable me to do great things. The book states that it has a single purpose--increasing my EQ--and it accomplished this without a hitch. How? It has a self-contained, step-by-step, program that was customized to my score profile after I went online and used the included pass code to access an emotional intelligence test. I learned which areas where holding me back and which of the book's 66 strategies would increase my emotional intelligence the most.

The strategies are broken down according to the four emotional intelligence skills:

* Self-Awareness
* Self-Management
* Social Awareness
* Relationship Management

The strategies continue to be really helpful. I catch myself using them all the time. Some are counterintuitive, while others are common sense yet hard to apply consistently until following the techniques from the book. The book also illustrates stories of real people with high or low emotional intelligence in each of the four skills.

I bought the book because of the Patrick Lencini foreword and the endorsements from some of my favorite authors (Stephen Covey, Ken Blanchard, and the Dalai Lama), and I'm glad I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, March 6, 2010
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Hardcover)
I was very impressed with this book. It's the first I've seen that actually shows you how to increase your emotional intelligence, rather than just explaining what emotional intelligence is. It's filled with strategies to increase each of the four emotional intelligence skills: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management. I found the strategies very helpful, particularly because the books gives access to an online test that (based upon your results) tells you which strategies will increase your EQ the most.

The authors use excellent anecdotes to illustrate various concepts, and their research is compelling and original. Some of the information on emotional intelligence and job title (e.g. CEOs have the lowest EQs in the workforce, on average), is very revealing. My favorite anecdote in the book is the riveting story of a surfer who survives a run in with a 5,000 pound great white, by using his emotional intelligence.

All in all, an outstanding read that's a great value at $13!

5.0 out of 5 stars a very accisble soft skills book, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Hardcover)
"Emotional Intelligence 2.0" is the second edition of a soft skills/career development book. Your EQ (emotional quotient) is the foundation for a large number of soft skills including flexibility, time management, trust, anger management and change tolerance. The book focuses on four areas: self awareness, self management, social awareness and relationship management. Each is illustrated with a scenario showing a good and bad example.

The book comes with an online test. It was basically two pages of questions asking you to rate yourself in various areas. I found it accurate in terms of what I know about my own soft skills strengths and weaknesses.

Some other things I liked about the book
1) It's small enough to fit in a large purse - making reading convenient.
2) The grouping of techniques and tips by area.
3) A large number of concrete things you can do to improve your soft skills.
4) The fact that each technique is only 2-3 pages - making it something you can read in the morning while having breakfast and focus on for the day.
5) The book was quite up to date - the Hudson River miracle plane landing in NYC (of only a few months ago) was one of the examples.
6) Emotion being listed as a sixth sense.

1.0 out of 5 stars Little Substance, May 26, 2011
I guess I've read too many great books about time management and focus to get anything out of this thin book with general advice on how not be a troublemaker in the office. After buying the Kindle edition, I made two phone calls to the publishing company to get all the information necessary to sign up for their free ($39.95 value) personality test. It was 20 questions or so and told me that I was about 75% of the way to being an affective person. Yes, I have bad moods sometimes, can procrastinate if there's a fun distraction, and am challenged by a fast changing business climate. I didn't find any specific method of dealing with these infirmities, and kept thinking about how I spent $10 on a bunch of bits that didn't deliver anything but a commercial for a motivational company looking for the reader to buy more stuff and, perhaps attend a seminar. I learned something about myself while reading this book though, that I can move on to another book and just let it go without bumming out even though I spent my lunch money, and the lunch hour reading this article dressed up as a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting the Pieces Together, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Hardcover)
I am very familiar with emotional intelligence but have had trouble
finding the time and methods to put it into practice. Like the authors
said, "Knowing about EQ and putting it to work are two very different
things."

This book combines the two elements of knowledge plus the practical
skills you need to apply that knowledge. I'm very impressed with the
simple yet insightful strategies in the book, as well as the test that
showed me which strategies to focus on, based upon my scores. Not only
did I found out where I fell short (self-management skill) but also
knew exactly the things I needed to work on to increase this skill.
The test report recommended which strategies in the book I need to
work on (and specific pages to go to). The e-learning, goal tracking,
and video clips WITHIN the online test report are something I haven't
seen in other assessments or programs. The authors really had us, the
learners, in mind when they wrote the book and developed the test.

Very accessible and user-friendly. Bravo for the book and a standing
ovation for the test!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Hardcover)
Emotional Intelligence 2.0 is an excellent book that taught me how to look at my emotions from a new perspective. I now find that when I'm in challenging situations I'm able to pull back and "hover" which allows me to see things from a distance, understand my emotions, and respond effectively to them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Condensed, easy to read, November 6, 2011
Pat (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Hardcover)
Very easy to read, in understandable text. Loved the test at the end and the suggestions on how to improve the particular area you want to work in. Anxious to take the test in 6 months time again to see if the exercises have rendered improvement for me. Good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title to Piggyback on the Original "Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman, June 11, 2013
Wind878 (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
[WARNING] This is trying to piggy back on the original by Daniel Goleman http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JMKVCG/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title.

Every page on this book is regurgitation of online blog posts about emotions. Not hard science as the aforementioned original. I'm harsh on it because of the shared title with the original which is a clear con plan to get confused buyers to buy this one and use the original's reputation. Pity as It could stand on its own if weren't for the misleading title. Please read the original in the link above. You're welcome! ;^)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for savvy, well-educated people, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Hardcover)
This book should probably be called "Emotional Intelligence For Chumps 2.0"

I would feel differently if the entire thing wasn't loaded references to how well the author's system works to increase your own Emotional Intelligence.

I think the reason the reviews for this book are so high, is because it (if you'll let it) makes you feel excited, and optimistic at your prospects for increasing your own emotional intelligence.

But the reality is that this book is not meant to provide a comprehensive overview of emotional intelligence. It's purpose is to toot the horn of the EQ test developed by the authors. This book serves to sell more EQ tests.

This book is not for the curious person interested in learning about how human beings work. It is meant for people in business who are looking for dumbed-down ways to improve interpersonal relationships in the workplace.

However, if you were looking for tips and secrets to boosting your own emotional intelligence (tips like "try counting to 10!" or "smile and laugh more!") then maybe this book is for you.

Emotional Intelligence 2.0
Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry (Hardcover - June 16, 2009)
$24.99 $14.12