Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Emotional Intelligence 2.0
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$13.40+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 19, 2011
I read the authors' first emotional intelligence book, and I think that 2.0 is a huge improvement. Here's a chapter by chapter look at why:

FOREWORD BY PATRICK LENCIONI
Lencioni is one of those gurus that has sold millions of books, none about emotional intelligence (EQ). As Lencioni proclaims in the foreword, he's no EQ expert, but he sees everyday how critical a skill it is to have and he's so enthusiastic about this book because it's the first he's read that actually shows you how to increase your EQ and apply it in your life.

THE JOURNEY
This chapter opens with a riveting story of a surfer who is attacked by a great white shark in California. I won't spoil it by telling you how, but the story is a great illustration of the power of emotion and how important it is to understand and manage our emotions. This chapter also illustrates how our brains are wired to react to events emotionally before our reason kicks in, and it lays the groundwork for the process by which the rest of the book will teach you to increase your EQ.

THE BIG PICTURE
This chapter teaches what EQ is and what it isn't. For example, a lot of people mistakenly think that EQ is a part of your personality. To the contrary EQ is separate from your personality, just as it is separate from your intellect, or IQ. It begins to build your understanding of emotions by showing what the five core emotions look like in varying degrees of intensity. Next the authors fun and engaging approach explains studies that illustrate how important EQ is in daily living. They show how your EQ impacts things like your tolerance for change, how you manage stress, even how much money you make!

-DIGGING IN: MY EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE ACTION PLAN-
If you haven't already, by this point in the book you need to open the orange envelope inside the back cover and retrieve the unique passcode that lets you go online to take the Emotional Intelligence Appraisal test. I'd actually heard of this test (it's the most widely used EQ test out there), so I thought it was pretty cool that they let you take it for free with the book. In addition to revealing your EQ scores, your test results guide you through the areas you need to work on improving the most. This chapter helps you to develop your plan of attack, including the action plan where you actually record what it is your going to do and by when.

-SELF-MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES-
(ACTUALLY THERE IS A CHAPTER OF STRATEGIES FOR EACH SKILL, BUT I'LL JUST DESCRIBE THIS ONE)
This section of the book has 66 strategies to increase your EQ. Each strategy is well-detailed (most 2-3 pages) and something that you can begin doing immediately. Your test results tell you which EQ skill you need to work on the most (for me it was Self-management), as well as which of the chapter's strategies will increase your ability in that skill the most. I thought this part was pretty cool. Basically, the test analyzed my score profile and picked the three strategies that would improve my biggest weaknesses in self-management. One of the strategies it suggested, Breathe Right, hit the nail on the head. I'm not one of these people that needs to take a deep breath to calm down and stop being angry, which is good because that's NOT what the strategy is teaching. Actually, it illustrates how some of us, when left to our own devices, breathe too shallow, which deprives some of the higher (rational) areas of the brain of the oxygen needed to keep us completely calm and focused. So now, whenever I need to clear my head, think on my feet at work, make a tough decision, figure out what I should get my wife for her birthday, etc. I use this breathing strategy, and I'm continually amazed by how quickly it makes me calm and focused. Anyway, that's just one self-management strategy, but I thought it'd be useful for you to see what one is like in detail.

-EPILOGUE--JUST THE FACTS: A LOOK AT THE LATEST DISCOVERIES IN EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE-
This epilogue is quite interesting. The authors' company is a think tank that has tested more than half a million people worldwide, and they share some of the more interesting conclusions from their data that didn't show up earlier in the book. For example, women outscore men in overall EQ, but the sexes have an equal ability in self-awareness (men fall short because they do less with the emotional information they take in). Anyhow, there are studies of EQ differences across various generations (Boomers vs. Millenials is really interesting), in different job titles (CEO's have the lowest EQ in the workforce!), and even US vs. China (our new, big economic competitor).

-DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR READING GROUPS-
This last appendix has some great questions for discussion. I'm not in a book club, but my wife read the book and we talked about some of these questions and it led to some really interesting discussions.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2011
This book is unlike any I've ever come across in its ability to enable me to do great things. The book states that it has a single purpose--increasing my EQ--and it accomplished this without a hitch. How? It has a self-contained, step-by-step, program that was customized to my score profile after I went online and used the included pass code to access an emotional intelligence test. I learned which areas where holding me back and which of the book's 66 strategies would increase my emotional intelligence the most.

The strategies are broken down according to the four emotional intelligence skills:

* Self-Awareness
* Self-Management
* Social Awareness
* Relationship Management

The strategies continue to be really helpful. I catch myself using them all the time. Some are counterintuitive, while others are common sense yet hard to apply consistently until following the techniques from the book. The book also illustrates stories of real people with high or low emotional intelligence in each of the four skills.

I bought the book because of the Patrick Lencini foreword and the endorsements from some of my favorite authors (Stephen Covey, Ken Blanchard, and the Dalai Lama), and I'm glad I did!
on March 6, 2010
I was very impressed with this book. It's the first I've seen that actually shows you how to increase your emotional intelligence, rather than just explaining what emotional intelligence is. It's filled with strategies to increase each of the four emotional intelligence skills: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management. I found the strategies very helpful, particularly because the books gives access to an online test that (based upon your results) tells you which strategies will increase your EQ the most.

The authors use excellent anecdotes to illustrate various concepts, and their research is compelling and original. Some of the information on emotional intelligence and job title (e.g. CEOs have the lowest EQs in the workforce, on average), is very revealing. My favorite anecdote in the book is the riveting story of a surfer who survives a run in with a 5,000 pound great white, by using his emotional intelligence.

All in all, an outstanding read that's a great value at $13!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 16, 2009
"Emotional Intelligence 2.0" is the second edition of a soft skills/career development book. Your EQ (emotional quotient) is the foundation for a large number of soft skills including flexibility, time management, trust, anger management and change tolerance. The book focuses on four areas: self awareness, self management, social awareness and relationship management. Each is illustrated with a scenario showing a good and bad example.

The book comes with an online test. It was basically two pages of questions asking you to rate yourself in various areas. I found it accurate in terms of what I know about my own soft skills strengths and weaknesses.

Some other things I liked about the book
1) It's small enough to fit in a large purse - making reading convenient.
2) The grouping of techniques and tips by area.
3) A large number of concrete things you can do to improve your soft skills.
4) The fact that each technique is only 2-3 pages - making it something you can read in the morning while having breakfast and focus on for the day.
5) The book was quite up to date - the Hudson River miracle plane landing in NYC (of only a few months ago) was one of the examples.
6) Emotion being listed as a sixth sense.
on May 26, 2011
I guess I've read too many great books about time management and focus to get anything out of this thin book with general advice on how not be a troublemaker in the office. After buying the Kindle edition, I made two phone calls to the publishing company to get all the information necessary to sign up for their free ($39.95 value) personality test. It was 20 questions or so and told me that I was about 75% of the way to being an affective person. Yes, I have bad moods sometimes, can procrastinate if there's a fun distraction, and am challenged by a fast changing business climate. I didn't find any specific method of dealing with these infirmities, and kept thinking about how I spent $10 on a bunch of bits that didn't deliver anything but a commercial for a motivational company looking for the reader to buy more stuff and, perhaps attend a seminar. I learned something about myself while reading this book though, that I can move on to another book and just let it go without bumming out even though I spent my lunch money, and the lunch hour reading this article dressed up as a book.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2014
This book is completely useless. I'm old enough to have figured out my strengths and weaknesses, and my biggest weakness is knowing and sensing the emotional state of others and how they are reacting to me. This is precisely what this book is supposed to address and the authors claim their book will help you in this regard. So I bought it figuring it might be able to help me. It didn't. I did not learn a single solitary useful piece of information by reading this book. Take for example their discussion about body language. It occupies about a page and 1/2 of text which could have been summarized in the single sentence "pay attention to body language." Oh great, like I didn't know that. The rest of book is the same; a listing of general statements with absolutely no specific information that might be of help. If they had instead included a more detailed discussion of body language and what various things typically mean, then I might have learned some useful tips. But no, the entire book consists of similar empty general statements with absolutely no specifics discussed. Save your money and time and do not buy this book.
on June 11, 2013
[WARNING] This is trying to piggy back on the original by Daniel Goleman http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JMKVCG/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title.

Every page on this book is regurgitation of online blog posts about emotions. Not hard science as the aforementioned original. I'm harsh on it because of the shared title with the original which is a clear con plan to get confused buyers to buy this one and use the original's reputation. Pity as It could stand on its own if weren't for the misleading title. Please read the original in the link above. You're welcome! ;^)
on June 1, 2014
This review is a bit hard to write as I don't really know how to judge this book. It's definitely easy to read, and it presents its information in an easy to understand way. It also does a very good job of explaining why emotional intelligence is so important and should be worked on.

The only downside to the book as far as I'm concerned is that its suggestions for improving your emotional intelligence were so broad that for many of them I didn't even know where to start. There were also so many suggestions that I didn't know where I should start from among them. I wish the suggestions had been a bit more straight-forward and more laid out because I just didn't know where I should begin. Also, I told myself I was going to choose one of the suggestions and start trying to apply it, but I've started that about five times now with no success. I just don't even think about it most of the time, and when I do, I don't actually feel like I'm doing anything that's making a difference.

Overall, I think this book is a good introduction to emotional intelligence and presents some great information. I just don't think it's going to actually help me improve my own emotional intelligence. Others may be able to get a lot more out of it.

I received this book for free through Goodread's First Reads.
on November 6, 2010
Compared to the original emotional intelligence book I read and lost years ago, this one is just ridiculous. The promised techniques are trivial advices one can read in any other book on the topic, described in couple of paragraphs. The explanations of emotional intelligence itself are practically missing, but you can learn that "by increasing their emotional intelligence by XX%, 90% of the people get YY% increase in the salary". Seems like a book written solely for somebody to pitch his/her seminars, trainings and other side activities.
Totally disappointed.
on October 21, 2011
Anyone with a reasonable amount of insight and common sense will be bored with this book. I would leave it at that and say this is just another so-called "self-help" book full of stuff you already know and take for granted, if it weren't for the Emotional Intelligence Appraisal. The "Appraisal" takes this book into the area of hype. With all the build-up about the test, it turns out to be just a handful of questions essentially asking the reader whether he/she is emotionally intelligent or not. Hey, if I knew that, I wouldn't be taking the test! It is truly a hyped-up rip-off. I do not know why there are so many positive-sounding reviews here. These authors do not deserve your hard-earned money. Keep your money and skip this book.