Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 19, 2011
I read the authors' first emotional intelligence book, and I think that 2.0 is a huge improvement. Here's a chapter by chapter look at why:

FOREWORD BY PATRICK LENCIONI
Lencioni is one of those gurus that has sold millions of books, none about emotional intelligence (EQ). As Lencioni proclaims in the foreword, he's no EQ expert, but he sees everyday how critical a skill it is to have and he's so enthusiastic about this book because it's the first he's read that actually shows you how to increase your EQ and apply it in your life.

THE JOURNEY
This chapter opens with a riveting story of a surfer who is attacked by a great white shark in California. I won't spoil it by telling you how, but the story is a great illustration of the power of emotion and how important it is to understand and manage our emotions. This chapter also illustrates how our brains are wired to react to events emotionally before our reason kicks in, and it lays the groundwork for the process by which the rest of the book will teach you to increase your EQ.

THE BIG PICTURE
This chapter teaches what EQ is and what it isn't. For example, a lot of people mistakenly think that EQ is a part of your personality. To the contrary EQ is separate from your personality, just as it is separate from your intellect, or IQ. It begins to build your understanding of emotions by showing what the five core emotions look like in varying degrees of intensity. Next the authors fun and engaging approach explains studies that illustrate how important EQ is in daily living. They show how your EQ impacts things like your tolerance for change, how you manage stress, even how much money you make!

-DIGGING IN: MY EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE ACTION PLAN-
If you haven't already, by this point in the book you need to open the orange envelope inside the back cover and retrieve the unique passcode that lets you go online to take the Emotional Intelligence Appraisal test. I'd actually heard of this test (it's the most widely used EQ test out there), so I thought it was pretty cool that they let you take it for free with the book. In addition to revealing your EQ scores, your test results guide you through the areas you need to work on improving the most. This chapter helps you to develop your plan of attack, including the action plan where you actually record what it is your going to do and by when.

-SELF-MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES-
(ACTUALLY THERE IS A CHAPTER OF STRATEGIES FOR EACH SKILL, BUT I'LL JUST DESCRIBE THIS ONE)
This section of the book has 66 strategies to increase your EQ. Each strategy is well-detailed (most 2-3 pages) and something that you can begin doing immediately. Your test results tell you which EQ skill you need to work on the most (for me it was Self-management), as well as which of the chapter's strategies will increase your ability in that skill the most. I thought this part was pretty cool. Basically, the test analyzed my score profile and picked the three strategies that would improve my biggest weaknesses in self-management. One of the strategies it suggested, Breathe Right, hit the nail on the head. I'm not one of these people that needs to take a deep breath to calm down and stop being angry, which is good because that's NOT what the strategy is teaching. Actually, it illustrates how some of us, when left to our own devices, breathe too shallow, which deprives some of the higher (rational) areas of the brain of the oxygen needed to keep us completely calm and focused. So now, whenever I need to clear my head, think on my feet at work, make a tough decision, figure out what I should get my wife for her birthday, etc. I use this breathing strategy, and I'm continually amazed by how quickly it makes me calm and focused. Anyway, that's just one self-management strategy, but I thought it'd be useful for you to see what one is like in detail.

-EPILOGUE--JUST THE FACTS: A LOOK AT THE LATEST DISCOVERIES IN EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE-
This epilogue is quite interesting. The authors' company is a think tank that has tested more than half a million people worldwide, and they share some of the more interesting conclusions from their data that didn't show up earlier in the book. For example, women outscore men in overall EQ, but the sexes have an equal ability in self-awareness (men fall short because they do less with the emotional information they take in). Anyhow, there are studies of EQ differences across various generations (Boomers vs. Millenials is really interesting), in different job titles (CEO's have the lowest EQ in the workforce!), and even US vs. China (our new, big economic competitor).

-DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR READING GROUPS-
This last appendix has some great questions for discussion. I'm not in a book club, but my wife read the book and we talked about some of these questions and it led to some really interesting discussions.
1818 comments|701 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2011
This book is unlike any I've ever come across in its ability to enable me to do great things. The book states that it has a single purpose--increasing my EQ--and it accomplished this without a hitch. How? It has a self-contained, step-by-step, program that was customized to my score profile after I went online and used the included pass code to access an emotional intelligence test. I learned which areas where holding me back and which of the book's 66 strategies would increase my emotional intelligence the most.

The strategies are broken down according to the four emotional intelligence skills:

* Self-Awareness
* Self-Management
* Social Awareness
* Relationship Management

The strategies continue to be really helpful. I catch myself using them all the time. Some are counterintuitive, while others are common sense yet hard to apply consistently until following the techniques from the book. The book also illustrates stories of real people with high or low emotional intelligence in each of the four skills.

I bought the book because of the Patrick Lencini foreword and the endorsements from some of my favorite authors (Stephen Covey, Ken Blanchard, and the Dalai Lama), and I'm glad I did!
11 comment|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2010
I was very impressed with this book. It's the first I've seen that actually shows you how to increase your emotional intelligence, rather than just explaining what emotional intelligence is. It's filled with strategies to increase each of the four emotional intelligence skills: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management. I found the strategies very helpful, particularly because the books gives access to an online test that (based upon your results) tells you which strategies will increase your EQ the most.

The authors use excellent anecdotes to illustrate various concepts, and their research is compelling and original. Some of the information on emotional intelligence and job title (e.g. CEOs have the lowest EQs in the workforce, on average), is very revealing. My favorite anecdote in the book is the riveting story of a surfer who survives a run in with a 5,000 pound great white, by using his emotional intelligence.

All in all, an outstanding read that's a great value at $13!
55 comments|211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2009
"Emotional Intelligence 2.0" is the second edition of a soft skills/career development book. Your EQ (emotional quotient) is the foundation for a large number of soft skills including flexibility, time management, trust, anger management and change tolerance. The book focuses on four areas: self awareness, self management, social awareness and relationship management. Each is illustrated with a scenario showing a good and bad example.

The book comes with an online test. It was basically two pages of questions asking you to rate yourself in various areas. I found it accurate in terms of what I know about my own soft skills strengths and weaknesses.

Some other things I liked about the book
1) It's small enough to fit in a large purse - making reading convenient.
2) The grouping of techniques and tips by area.
3) A large number of concrete things you can do to improve your soft skills.
4) The fact that each technique is only 2-3 pages - making it something you can read in the morning while having breakfast and focus on for the day.
5) The book was quite up to date - the Hudson River miracle plane landing in NYC (of only a few months ago) was one of the examples.
6) Emotion being listed as a sixth sense.
11 comment|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 6, 2014
This is a great book. I was recommended to it by other sources in the context of improving your efficiency and overall performance at work. From what I've seen in other books and blogs, this book is considered something of a "gold standard" in terms of navigating those tricky waters of CO-WORKER RELATIONSHIPS.

I mostly decided to pick up this book because I hope that it would help me find a way to deal with some of my co-workers. I'll say up front, I was sure that I was not the problem -- the problem was how annoying those two people were! (Of course, right?!) Well, this book did help me figure out ways that I can change my attitude and behavior to improve those relationships.

Also, when you buy this book, you get a code to go online and take a personality inventory. The results of that test show you your strengths and weaknesses in the different areas that form the focus of the book. I bought the kindle edition, and Amazon emailed me the code, which worked without a hitch.

Overall: I definitely recommend this book, especially for other young people trying to be successful at work. This book will teach you skills that can be really effective.
on May 26, 2011
I guess I've read too many great books about time management and focus to get anything out of this thin book with general advice on how not be a troublemaker in the office. After buying the Kindle edition, I made two phone calls to the publishing company to get all the information necessary to sign up for their free ($39.95 value) personality test. It was 20 questions or so and told me that I was about 75% of the way to being an affective person. Yes, I have bad moods sometimes, can procrastinate if there's a fun distraction, and am challenged by a fast changing business climate. I didn't find any specific method of dealing with these infirmities, and kept thinking about how I spent $10 on a bunch of bits that didn't deliver anything but a commercial for a motivational company looking for the reader to buy more stuff and, perhaps attend a seminar. I learned something about myself while reading this book though, that I can move on to another book and just let it go without bumming out even though I spent my lunch money, and the lunch hour reading this article dressed up as a book.
1212 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2014
Apparently it's important to take the emotional intelligence test to evaluate your level for stressing parts of the book to put into operation. The test is not included in the Kindle book. You need a code from the hardbound books. Very disappointing that a code isn't supplied with Kindle.
on February 19, 2015
I really wish I had read this book in high school and better yet had a course in it. It would have saved me a lot of grief. As a society, we need to teach children how to deal with emotions. I wish I had not taken it out of the library because the code in the back only works for one person. So, I was not able to take the EQ (Emotional Intelligence)test. I may need to buy the book.

I loved it all, but I have picked out my favorite parts of each section:

Self Awareness Strategies:

1. Ask others for feedback about how you handle your emotions and listen carefully to what they say.
2. Weekly or bi-weekly take stock of your life and write down situations that you didn't deal with well and then list which quality that you wanted to honor but didn't. For example:
Honesty is the quality and then write down a situation that I didn't handle well where I wasn't completely honest. The next time a situation like this comes up, I might deal with it differently because I will remember the list.

Self Management Strategies:

1. To prepare for change, make a list of things in my life that could possibly change and write down ideas for how I could deal with that. I really enjoyed doing this and it really has been helpful.

Social Awareness Strategies:

1. Become a great observer. Learn how to sense the mood of a room and check to see if your observations are correct.
1. Listen. Listen. Listen. Don't interrupt.

Relationship Management Strategies:

1. Use these phrases more: "I am sorry." "Please" "Thank You"

Fabulous book. I highly recommend it.
on April 23, 2012
Emotional Intelligence 2.0 is an excellent book that taught me how to look at my emotions from a new perspective. I now find that when I'm in challenging situations I'm able to pull back and "hover" which allows me to see things from a distance, understand my emotions, and respond effectively to them.
on July 12, 2014
It's interesting to take the inventory and then look at the suggestions for improvement in the book, but unless you have a lot of insight already, the inventory won't assess your ability to accept and manage your emotions. That's a big drawback in my mind. It doesn't address the issue of why some folks with high emotional intelligence scores are low achievers. That seems like another big hole to me. For someone who has recently gained a lot of insight into the emotional processes that are driving their self-sabotaging behaviors, but who has not yet changed those sabotaging behaviors, this would be a useful book.