5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable, Precise Chop Saw Alternative
Published on July 13, 2009 by K. Beach

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!
Published on January 26, 2010 by slo.trailrunner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable, Precise Chop Saw Alternative, July 13, 2009
This review is from: Empire Level 36191N Precision Miter Box (Tools & Home Improvement)
One can buy a basic 7.5" electric chop saw for less than $200. If one is lucky, it might handle a 2 x 4 and cut with some degree of precision The Empire Precision Miter Box is an affordable, versatile, human-powered alternative. It's precise enough for expensive picture framing material and adaptable enough to handle 2 x 6 boards (given properly-improvised support for the material being cut). Die-cast metal construction in this age of plastics is a definite plus. This is an excellent product at a fair and reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Miter Box, Poor Packaging, February 3, 2010
The first Empire Level 36191N Miter Box arrived with a small plastic piece, located between the upper saw guide and the lower blade guide on one of the two mounts fitting over the guide posts, broken. The blade was also scuffed and bent where this plastic piece sat inside the box. Amazon immediately shipped another and paid to return the broken one. Sadly, the second miter box was also broken in virtually the same manner.

The problem seems related to how the merchandise is packed inside the product display box by the manufacturer. There is no packing material inside that box, leaving the contents free to move around unrestrained. Further, the heavier guide post assembly sits inside the box directly beneath the plastic piece broken in both shipments. Apparently, as that guide post assembly shifts around during handling, it repeatedly strikes and eventually breaks the plastic piece located just above. The saw assembly either needs to be well padded or separated in some manner (cardboard, etc) from the rest of the box contents.

In my case, I was able to scrounge the two unbroken mounts from the two miter boxes still in my possession to assemble a single working miter box. Amazon will simply receive a return with two broken pieces instead of the one initially reported. Since these two plastic pieces sit between, and are somewhat protected by, the guide posts while sawing, they're unlikely to break during normal use. However, knowing they certainly can break, I would handle them fairly gently while the saw is removed to change blades or whatever.

Beyond that, the miter box itself (made in Taiwan) is decent enough. The base is made of diecast metal, with much of the rest also metals. The saw handle, two pieces previously mentioned, adjustment knobs, clamp knobs, and clamp caps are made of plastic. A metal clamp to secure the work material and an adjustable metal length guage for repeated cuts both bolt onto the diecast metal base.

The diecast metal base ultimately screws onto a particle board platform which then can be fitted with rubber feet or either clamped or screwed down permanently to a work bench. The entire miter box assembly (roughly 11-inches tall), with various guide protrusions, consumes an area of roughly 28-inches by 29-inches on a work bench, so I prefer the more temporary mounting solutions which allow the miter box to be stored away between use in my small workshop.

The 14-TPI (Teeth-Per-Inch) multi-purpose blade is 21.5 inches (54.6 cm) long. The replaceable blade attaches at each end very much like the blade on a handheld hacksaw. The miter box can handle 4.75-inch thick wood or plastic, with a 90° cross cut of 7 inches and a 45° miter cut (left or right) of 4 inches. Adjustable depth stops allow partial cuts into the work material.

While I suspect the miter box will serve well enough for many years, I'm still a bit concerned about those two previously broken plastic pieces. However, since it would be easy enough to fabricate a replacement part out of an inexpensive strip of aluminum, I'm not really all that concerned.

4.0 out of 5 stars EMPIRE MITER SAW, February 25, 2009
A very good saw for the money. It works well for what I need,accurate cuts,and smooth cuts, even in metal. This is a light to medium duty saw, but with care can handle some fairly heavy work. The frame for work holding could afford to be a little stronger, but is plenty for my picture frame work (hobby). If I did a lot of work or larger heavier work I would go to a larger saw possibly even a powered saw.
I would like some info on replacement blades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, excellent tool, October 26, 2008
I have used this saw for several years and it is hands-down the best in class for bench-top miter saws. Great quality, accuracy and dependability. A good buy and a must-have if you need to make accurate miter cuts quickly and easily.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, January 26, 2010
slo.trailrunner (San Luis Obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
The Empire Level 36191N appears to be a solid, technically reliable and fairly-priced miter box. While putting it together, it became obvious that 1 of the 2 identical saw guides was broken in half, rendering the tool useless. The Amazon shipping box had been loosely packed so I added quite a bit of my own packing material when returning the tool. I went back to a local home improvement store & looked closely at all of their miter boxes. A Stanley model looked similar in design & price, but taking Amazon customer reviews seriously I avoided the Stanley model, and ordered another Empire 36191N from Amazon, reasoning "Aww, the broken one was just an anomaly. Won't happen again."

The 2nd one arrived today, and was again quite loosely packed with brown paper. The Empire box also had a tear on it, and some of the plastic bags inside were torn. I immediately examined the saw and its attached parts, and guess what? One of the 2 identical saw guides was broken in half, again rendering their product useless. This is extremely frustrating & time-consuming! I'll re-pack the Empire Level 36191N for return to Amazon, and will responsibly add my own packing material to protect the contents. Once that's done, I'm heading out to the local home improvement warehouse to find a effective, workable model of miter box & saw.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good reliable Miter, December 7, 2009
I recently purchased this miter to work on cutting and joining 4" wood posts for a project that I had in mind. I opted for a manual miter saw rather than a powered one because from my experience power tools under $100 aren't that great and I didn't want to spend $200+ for a professional grade tool for my small project.

So far the miter box worked great and if you don't mind having to work a little bit it's a great value at it's $50 price tag. The construction is pretty sturdy and with a little care you can see this tool lasting you a long long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tool good price, August 8, 2010
I bought this to replace a 10 year old Hempe miter that has had a lot of use. It works fine, the only problem so far is that the aluminum bed plate is painted a flat black and the raised numbers were hard to see. I ran a fine sandpaper over them and now they are visible.
The Hempe was a better tool, a little more rugged and capable of compound cuts. But I paid over $80 for it on sale 10 years ago. For the price this is a good deal.Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The saw was perfect for my DIY projects where I don't need a ..., November 3, 2014
Edward Wong (SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I've been scouring the internet, without success , for a metal part for my 15 year old Jorgensen mitre box saw. The saw was perfect for my DIY projects where I don't need a dusty, noisy, power saw. My alternative was to buy another comparable saw, but everything available, within my price range, had a plastic table, including the new Jorgensen Model 64034. Out of curiosity, I picked up a Stanley unit at Lowe's. It had the plastic table as described, but the plastic accessories reminded me of children's tinker toys so I returned it.
Because I really needed something soon for a kitchen remodeling, I considered a Swedish unit by Nobex; price: around 170.00. Then I came across the Empire Level 3619N Precision Miter Saw; cost: 49.09 plus free shipping. The unit looked exactly like my old unit with a metal table, so I ordered it on Friday, and believe it or not, it was delivered the following day.
What amazed me was that the unit was the exactly the same as my old Jorgensen, except for a minor change in the saw assembly and the addition of a metal work clamp attachment, unlike Stanley's plug-in plastic pins. Where the name was embossed, it now read Empire instead of Jorgensen. I didn't recall where mine's was manufactured, but it turned out to be Taiwan, same as the Empire unit. Probably the same manufacturer.
As i said, the units were exactly alike but my old compressed wood base was heavier and appeared sturdier, so I simply replaced the new with the old base. I also used my old saw assembly with a 18 TPI blade, instead of the furnished 14 TPI. The saw assembly fitted snuggly over the four new guide posts. Sawing movement was smooth and firm, perfect for this price. Now I have an extra saw with a 14PTI blade I use for heavier cuts. The final results were beyond what I expected; retaining and improving my original saw at a very reasonable cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT IF USED CORRECTLY, November 5, 2013
F. Douglas Williams (Acton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned an Empire 36191N for a couple of years. It took me about six months to become truly proficient with the saw. The built in clamps are fine if cutting soft woods with some wiggle room. For exact cuts in hard wood I use my own clamps. The saw does EXACTLY what I ask of it every time. I use it almost daily in my efforts at making ornamental boxes (mostly music boxes and some jewelry boxes). Cutting 2" x 1/4" hard woods for an eight-sided box takes a calm hand and a rock solid saw. Nature gave me the calm hand and Empire has supplied the saw. I use my table saw if I'm doing a mass production run (dozen or more carcasses) but for "just one or a few" I always use my Empire 36191N. I use it so often it is permanently mounted and available to me all the time.

Pros:
Excellent construction
Exact settings
Easier than many to use.

Cons:
Finding replacement blades

I am in search of replacement blades (second blade purchased with the saw when it was new is getting a little scratchy). And suggestions for replacements welcome.

2.0 out of 5 stars Angle was not exact, November 12, 2010
After putting this saw together, we started cutting the chair rail. We quickly noticed that the saw was off by about 1-2 degrees. This doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're matching up corners, it's significant. We used caulk to "fix" the corners before sanding and painting, but ideally, you want a miter box to be EXACT to the degree you specify.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›