5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, 3X Fun Space Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Complicated and the rulebook is incomplete
Published 20 months ago by Melissa Mendick

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, 3X Fun Space Game, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Empires of the Void (Toy)
Let me start by saying that if you are looking for a 4X Space Empires type game, then EotV is not it, its more of a 3X type game, as it's missing the Exploration part, you instead get to Expand, Exploit & Exterminate worlds and enemies/opponents or make friends with them. The game plays allot like the Video PC game Sins of a Solar Empire only on the table top, at least that's what it reminds me of. I have seen reviews online claiming that the easiest and best route to victory is through Diplomacy and making allies with planets (yeah maybe in a 2 player game) but we play 4 players, the best and what this game was designed for games and that route just doesn't fly, as your opponent will seek out and destroy your Diplomatic ships at every turn if you get too close and in a 4 player game, its not hard. Therefore conquest becomes the easiest route to victory in the end and the galaxy explodes in war, after war and with Tech races that boggle the mind, as players try to balance Credits (money), resources to build Tech & improved ship types to wage war to hold what planetary systems they have. Each race has its own special ability, which is cool and not one unbalances the game.

Overall I really enjoy this game, it plays wayyyyyy faster than Twilight Imperium or Space Empires 4x and turns go fairly quickly, not much downtime in between players and the Pre-Turn step, everyone goes at the same time purchasing ships and technology, so that helps.

All in all, 5 star game, the components are 3 1/2 stars, as they are all cardboard, so no plastic ships people but they are nice and big counters, go to BGG to see pics of the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Empires of the Void Review by Dad's Gaming Addiction, October 7, 2013
Empires of the Void: 2-4 Players, Ages 13+, Average Play Time = 120 Minutes

I'll say this...there are PLENTY of pieces and components to ogle. I was surprised by how heavy the box was when I first picked it up, and equally surprised by how many pieces were in the box. The components themselves are full of character and represent the theme well. My son and I enjoyed looking at all of the races, the ships, the technology...pretty much everything that the game had to offer. The quality of the components are fairly good and I was overall pleased by the way they functioned.

By that same token, the average play time on the box is no exaggeration. It took me about twenty minutes to set the game up and another ten to fifteen minutes to put it all away. Vinnie (11) and I played the short game variant (two scoring rounds instead of three) to shorten our play time, but we still spent a good hour in the core game. This is definitely a game that should be played when your group is in it for the long haul...it's not something that you can pick up and play within a half hour. First time players should definitely set aside some extra time to account for the learning curve. Families can play and enjoy this game, but I can see this game appealing more to people that enjoy long, in-depth strategy games.

Vinnie and I played a two player game and we both had a fun time of it. I concentrated on researching technologies that increased my hand limit and added modifiers to my diplomacy rolls so that I could gain alliances more easily. I was hoping to increase my influence and gain victory points in the process, but my son's ships quickly made their way towards planets I had already won over. Where I had focused on diplomacy, he had focused on the military, researching the bigger ships that plowed their way through my fleets. In the first scoring round, I had a decisive advantage as I expanded and gained alliances quickly, but the tides turned toward the end when I was unable to stop him from conquering the planets I had won over. Even if we had played the longer game, I'm confident he would have kept with his lead despite the points I scored via technology and alliances. He simply had too many planets under his control and he was earning a good amount of credits to replace his losses.

All in all, Empires of the Void is a great game that has a lot to offer. Its complexity may scare off casual players, but those willing to take the time to learn the game and to play it may find it to be quite an enjoyable experience. If you decide to take the plunge, be sure to have a big table and plenty of open slots available on your schedule book...you'll need it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Complicated and the rulebook is incomplete, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Empires of the Void (Toy)
After trying to play this twice with my established gaming group, i was ready to resell it and move on. The rule book that comes with the game it turns out, leaves out ALOT of rules and is very ambiguous. We ended up printing a revised rule book off the internet that explains the game and reveals several very important rules we otherwise would not have known about. That was about a month ago and honestly, we haven't replayed it yet. The original experience was just so unpleasant and time consuming, I just haven't been able to get excited about trying it again. The game has potential and i've seen such good reviews online from well-respected gamers that i will try it with the revised rules eventually. Not for the light of heart.

Empires of the Void