5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Tremendous Resource
This book is a very organized employment guide for people with Asperger Syndrome or Non Verbal Learning Disability (AS/NLD) and their friends. It would also be an excellent resource for Vocational Rehabilitation professionals, enabling them to understand these often misunderstood neurological disorders.

After retiring at 63 years of age from a career as an...
Published on April 27, 2006 by Joseph Bock

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly dissappointing
Published on August 5, 2006 by ourblessedhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Tremendous Resource, April 27, 2006
This review is from: Employment for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome or Non-Verbal Learning Disability: Stories and Strategies (Paperback)

After retiring at 63 years of age from a career as an Electronic Engineer I did some research on my lifelong weaknesses. I discovered I had a Nonverbal Learning Disability (NLD) and ran across this book. Having NLD meant that although I was very good at challenging and creative tasks I couldn't easily do things that most people take for granted like folding paper. As one person quoted in the book says, "I am generally quicker than others catching up with all sorts of knowledge and skills that require analytical understanding but I need much more time to get used to different telephones or copiers and to know where to find what."

I wish I had access to this kind of book when I was working. I read it eagerly from cover to cover.

The book, written by someone with NLD, covers the gamut and includes descriptions of what AS and NLD is, biographies of actual people with NLD and AS including what jobs worked for them at what didn't, and information for the AS/NLD person on how to plan a career, how to look for a job and how to function on the job.

Included are lists of resources including organizations and websites.

The book would also be useful for employers who could benefit from the strengths of AS/NLD people and would be willing to accommodate for their small weaknesses. As stated in the book: "Projects that allow the employee to use his/her creativity and problem-solving skills are best. Employers should value the individual's laser-like concentration ability and understand and respect these employees' work style."

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is for us all, March 14, 2004
Margaret Bassett (Maryville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I'm an NT, called such by Aspies and NLDers. We are considered neurotypical. I suggest that all of us NT's would benefit by reading this book. In my case, I had a young friend who was having a difficult time going from high school to her first job. Yvona sheds light on page 211 of the book: "(employers) find it puzzling that some smart employees have trouble neatly stapling a bunch of papers together or mailing a letter." At the time, I wondered about such issues and, with a lot of luck and some internet searching, came up with a paper written by Susan Thompson. As I read her account, tears ran down my face. All the years I knew this girl I had thought she had some character flaw. Why else would she be so indifferent to what was obvious to me?
I subscribed to the YahooGroup called NLD-in-Common (see page 310). When I was accepted as a member I posted my customary hello. The first person to respond was Yvona. As time went on, I realized she always accepted new members. She was so giving of herself, telling of her personal job miseries. It was obvious to me that she was a talented writer. When I found she was writing this book, I could hardly wait for it to arrive.
The book tells so much. Finally, I am beginning to "get it." Those with various aspects of learning disabilities are described so vividly that we NT's can begin to get a grip on what makes some people "different," not retarded or lazy or unloving. Ambition, intelligence, honesty, tenacity--those words are more apt.
My little friend? She's employed, doing it her way. I'm hanging in there with her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and Insightful, January 28, 2006
This book is very suitable for people with Asperger syndrome who are conducting their job search independently or semi-independently, and who are interested in finding a career, not just a job. The author herself has Non-Verbal Learning disorder, and a large part of the book is devoted to contributions from other people with Non-Verbal learning disorder or Asperger syndrome, describing their experiences of employment. The later chapters look in depth at the issues, and provide lots of information and advice on the application procedure and dealing with your employers. Interestingly, the author recommends non disclosure to employers, and instead suggests being honest about yourself and how you are without giving people labels. This is definitely a book for people who want to be taken seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I Have Read So Far!, December 2, 2010
I have read many books on Asperger Syndrome due to the fact that so many in my family have AS. Now, that my 26 yr old son is struggling so significantly with NLD (despite his college degree), I was inspired to buy "Employment for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome or Non-Verbal Learning Disability". I must say it is the best book I have read thus far and I highly recommend all who may have a loved one (if not just for themselves) with AS or NLD to enjoy this book! It makes it very easy to understand (in a realistic way) the traits of, differences between and solutions to help those with AS & NLD. I'm inspired by this book and will call it a "must read".

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book for NLD adults!, October 18, 2010
I'm 49 years old and never heard of NLD until my son (now 15) was identified with it 8 years ago. Through his journey I realized that I also have NLD. There are several great books for children and teens with NLD but this is the first book I've seen for adults with NLD. Wow, it's nice to finally have something to relate to! Admittedly I haven't finished the book yet but it's been wonderful so far. There's a section called "NLD Voices" in which individuals with NLD talk about their career history that really hit home! This is a great book for the older generation NLDers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book found yet concerning this subject, August 23, 2007
As a mother looking for information on transitioning into adulthood, I found this book to be a wonderful resource. I first borrowed this book and kept referring back to it so I realized this was a keeper and needed in my library. Our son has even read some of the entries given by adults with nvld and aspergers. He gains from reading their experiences and allows him to think about career choices in a very constructive way. Love the book. (o:

4.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific First Effort, With Room For Improvement, May 27, 2014
As a person who has been identified with "high-functioning autism", I can certainly recommend this volume to others "on the Spectrum" who are experiencing some difficulty finding suitable niches in life. It correctly identifies some of the more typically predictable pitfalls of inappropriate career choice for socially-inept persons. However, like most other volumes in this genre (self help for autistic persons), it falls a bit short by depicting the so-called Autism Spectrum as a linear one on which persons will fit fairly neatly into a "type".

Still, it is a pretty good exposition of the subject matter involved, especially given the fact that it was published in 2004. More has come to light since then about the particular challenges facing those of us who bear these particular diagnoses, but clearly much more remains to be discovered. As it is, I am sure that Ms. Fast's arrangement and exposition of those discoveries will result in a much-improved second edition.

Sadly (for me), that next edition will arrive a bit late. However, I have a son who has similar difficulties with social interaction. As helpful as this book has been to me, I trust that its update will prove even more helpful to him and others of his generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Employment for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome or Non-Verbal Learning Disability, January 5, 2012
We are finding the book most helpful.It is the first source that not only helps us affirm our own experience but also offers help in managing these conditions. We recommend it whole heartedly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly dissappointing, August 5, 2006
I was hoping for some insight to help my 13 year old make some choices as he enters high school. This book offered me nothing, other than to bring on anxiety because of all the negativity in it. It was full of just chapters of individual Aspie experiences, MOSTLY BAD experiences. Chapter after chapter would say the same thing: try to find what you are good at, then emphasize the positive and try to work around the negatives.

The book offered no real direction or help, just sob stories.

Rate and Discover Movies