Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 13, 2005
I've been involved with some form of Buddhism for about 15 years. For most of that time I have considered myself to be a committed student of mindfulness practice in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hahn. I've read many, many books on spirtual practice and in particular on Buddhism, but I have never come across anything quite like this book. Adyashanti's words speak to me at a level which I have not otherwise experienced. For me his teachings are pure and direct - like you might hear about in stories about Zen masters of the past. Interestingly, I don't associate his teachings with any religion or spiritual tradition (nor does he), since they speak about Truth/Reality that exists independent of conceptual frameworks (i.e. a particular belief system). This is the most important book I have ever read. Strong words I know. For me it's true. But I also recognize that the value of the book's contents are a function of my personal experiences and where I am. So I also recognize not everyone may value it as much as me. Nonetheless, I highly recommend it as a source of deep and honest spiritual guidance.
0Comment|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2004
Though I buy a lot of books through Amazon and have never entered a review before, just feel like I have to post one this time. Best dharma book I've ever read--and I've read dozens. I heard of the author because I saw an article in a magazine that inspired me, then ordered his books. If you're really serious about waking up, no matter what, I highly recommend this book.
0Comment|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2005
A well chosen array of talks by Adyashanti, which anyone interested in non-dualistic spirituality will likely find compelling. Most valuable is Adyashanti's ability to move beyond explanations and walk the reader through "as-if" versions of awakening, leaving us with at least a clear echo of that experience, and an internalized feeling for what it's all about.
on January 12, 2007
Here is an example from the book on page 85. The discussion is on consciousness which is our true being and repressing negative feelings.

"When you know you are consciousness, then there's no repression, and there's no grabbing hold. It's as if you are the sky. You neither push your clouds away, nor grasp them to keep them from leaving you. The sky is inherently completely unaffected, even if the storm comes and lightning cracks and all hell breaks loose. It doesn't matter as long as the sky remembers that it's sky.
on January 24, 2005
Here's a guy who gets to the heart of the spiritual matter. His manner is simplicity itself and his wise-warmth is compelling. I recommend him to those among us whose egos feel solid and whose openness has not fully come to be. My sense is that this is a book for everyone.
on October 26, 2005
Adyashanti has a wonderful and compassionate resonance in his words and teachings, and for many of us, his experiences passed on through his stories somehow transform our way of thinking and experiencing this great journey we call life. This particular book has received high praises and many people have been moved by the words within.

I, however; was a bit disappointed by this book as I felt Adyashanit's message seemed to take a circuitous route at times and did not always drive the point home, despite a clear intention to do so at the beginning of each chapter. Some chapters in the book were excellent while others might leave one scratching his/her head. Though the writing is compassionate and personal, the message is often lost in the repeating themes and verbiage.

For anyone interested in learning more about Buddhism, I would recommend any of the following Authors: D.T, Suzuki, Alan Watts and Thich Nhat Hanh, Sylvia Boorstein or Pema Chodron. I find that the above authors make no claims, and their message rings true and uncluttered.
44 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2008
Please enjopy my video review of Emptiness Dancing. Mark Waller author of Awakening: Exposing the Voice of the Mosaic Mind
on August 26, 2005
Adyashanti is a true teacher. If you read this book with an open mind and an open heart, it has the power to set you free. More to the point is, you are already free and just don't realize it. Many happy discoveries to all that are willing to hear who they really are!
on August 10, 2005
Adyashanti speaks from the heart. For some one who has trancended the notion of an individual self the book does impart a strong sense of his individual personality but I have read that most enlightened beings still make contact with others more or less through the forms of their previosly developed egos. It is a wonderful book and I suspect that Buddhist or even meditators from other traditions will find it to be very revealing.
on October 15, 2015
The book was described as providing "lucid down to earth advice", but i found little of that. I found very little practical guidance in meditation, and his descriptions of enlightenment and realization seemed to tread the same old ground with phrases and language that many have said before, but to better effect.

Example: chapter 20, "Implications", begins, "After you awaken from the dream of separateness and realize you are the source, you need to discover the implications of applying this revelation to your life. When you truly realize there is no other than you, it takes your breath away. All is one and you are the One."

Much of the book reads like I must have sounded when I was in my twenties and very excited about my spiritual "discoveries." He just tells you how it is (for him), and what you need to do to be "free" or "enlightened", e.g. you need to "let go."

It might be encouraging or affirmational for some people to read, but in my opinion Adyashanti has nothing to add to the contemporary western discourse and understanding of meditation and "awakening." And I did not find him personally inspiring.

By comparison I would recommend "The Sound of Silence" by Ajahn Somedho, which I can read over and over. He speaks with earthy, practical, and creative use of language that guides me to the edge of thought, to gain a view and an opportunity to directly experience the pure and simple awareness inherent in our experience of human-embodied consciousness.