Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hoyle Casino Games 2008 [Download]
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 12, 2012
Mostly, I bought this wanting to play a variety of poker games. This gives you a variety, at several levels of betting, as well as other casino games (keno, roulette, craps) and video poker/blackjack.

But the AI and the game options are poorly designed. Here's how a typical poker game goes: you're dealt junk, so you fold. The characters then bet and raise each other the minimum, back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and (well, you get the idea). Finally, FINALLY, that ends. Another card is dealt. And the endless raises start again. If a computer character has a royal flush, it doesn't know to bet more than the minimum. It knows to raise back and forth (and back and forth and etc), but no more than that. So if you play poker correctly, and fold your crappy hands, you sit and wait. And wait. And watch poker played worse than your six year old niece can play. No, there is no "finish game" option to just get to the result and move on to the next hand. So the amount of time you'll be playing hands is maybe 15% of the game time.

That's just not fun.

If you get it anyway, you will probably want to turn up the speed and turn off the speech within moments of starting the game, trying to speed it up a little bit. The characters have only slight betting habits--there are other games out there that give a better range of conservative players, bluffers, etc. The only time the computer characters get half smart is in the final round of tournaments, but if you buy it for poker and have no patience for waiting 85% of the time, stick with the video poker.
on July 11, 2013
Technology has changed so much, but the latest Hoyle casino games haven't. They still look like games from 1999 with no hardware acceleration.

Update your graphics and sound!
on September 16, 2012
The best thing about this game is that it is downloadable, so one doesn't have to wait several days to start playing. The only other casino game I've owned is "Monopoly Casino", which has a neat concept, but is poorly executed (for example, playing Texas Hold'em in MC, you could be looking at a full house, but the game only recognizes that you have a three of a kind. I've not experienced that bad of a mess up in Hoyle Casino Games). The other reviewer is right that you want to turn off the speech and animations fairly quickly--it just takes too long.

The game I play mostly is craps, trying out different betting "systems". It's got blackjack, of course, Texas and Omaha Hold'em, Five card draw, and seven card stud. It has Pow Gai poker, keno, baccarat, roulette, and horseracing (little mechanical horses). There are slots, video blackjack, and video poker, as well. There's a "tip/tutorial" feature that warns you if you're about to make a dumb move, and gives suggestions on what to do next.

The poker games can be played for cash, or in tournaments. The other reviewer's observation that computer opponents tend to raise-raise-raise for several rounds is correct. Tournaments can have a $1k through $50k buy-in, with excalating amounts for the tournament winner. If you make it to the third round of any tournament, you at least get your buy-in money back. There are several online sites that allow you to play against real people (for fake money) free of charge, so don't get this game just for the poker is my advice.

There's a feature where you can design your avatar's face as well as a choice in a variety of stock voices. If you run out of money, you can get a loan (which the casino owner's thugs will force you to pay if you win big at some game or other), but if you run out of money a second time, you must restart your character. The graphics are serviceable but dated, the music is a generic jazz-style tune that plays in a loop. Not a bad game, for what it is.
on November 22, 2013
I suppose my review is biased through the prism of time...this is, after all, 6 years old and now it seems rather archaic...that being said, it just doesn't grab me as a whole lot of fun. Certainly the "fun" slots are, to me, anything but. The odds seem to be tilted more in favour of the house than realistically possible...for example, while it's within the realm of possibility for anything but a "7" to come up on two dice 17 times in a row, that should be an exception rather than a norm. Unless, of course, you're betting on anything but a "7", in which case "7" comes up more than it should. Overall, though, hey, it was only $ 10, fair at the price, a quick and easy download, and if you're trapped in the house due to a snowstorm or something, this will definitely pass the time until you have to go out and shovel.
on January 29, 2014
downloaded game to laptop for a Christmas gift for my mom and she loves it she said she is staying up until 2am playing....after the loss of my dad and thier cat & dog all within 6 months this keeps her mind busy and she doesn't spend as much time being depressed and lonely this was the best xmas gift
on August 9, 2013
I don't have too large of a processor in my computer, so having tried other Hoyle games, that inevitably didn't work I was grateful to find a game that fit right in with showing all the gloss & features I've come to expect with Hoyle video games.
on May 24, 2013
Several games on this disc and all are fun to play and it downloaded perfectly. Good purchase, worth the money. Hours of playing different games. I would recommend it to anyone who like casino games.
on January 20, 2015
It takes a lot of computing power, so it causes my laptop to become extremely hot. it is slow at times. However, I enjoy the games. There are plenty of tutorials and helps for those with questions on how to play any of the games. Despite its speed at times, it is an enjoyable poker/casino games program.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2013
I was looking for a casino game for my laptop as we were going on a trip. My husband enjoys playing card games when we have down time. Since the laptop does not have a cd/dvd drive I needed to find a downloadable game. This one is exactly the same as one he uses on an older larger laptop.
on August 13, 2013
I really need a casino game that wouldn't stress my laptop's slower CPU, and this one fit the bill. I've always been a fan of Hoyle Casino games, and this one has all the best games: BlackJack, Poker (all types), and of course the character creator that I have come to love!

The only thing I found missing from previous versions of the game I've played was the drink's you used to be able to order weren't there, but this could be because this is an older version that I've played before? Either way it was not exactly an important aspect of the game..but always thought it was a cute touch.