Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 18, 2010
Whether you are a seasoned Parrothead who's long past "looked at 40" or a new student of "domino college," this CD is for you. Jimmy Buffett does what I haven't heard him do on a recording in a long time- he brings emotion into his songs.

This is a stellar double CD of his best "encore" live songs from recent concerts. What's really special about this compilation is that the tunes are all live from a variety of tour locations, rather than just one concert recorded straight through. There are classics from his catalog, along with some numbers that are rarely if ever heard live. What a great concept! Listening to this CD is like taking a geographic tour of the US along with Jimmy, as he tailors each encore to the specific location.

Jimmy adds just the right amount of banter before each song and the soundboard recordings are extremely clean for live recordings. I especially liked Buffett's story about surfing with his daughter when he introduced the lovely "Wildflowers" which I don't recall ever hearing at one of his concerts.

If you have been with Jimmy Buffett since the days of "You Had To Be There" you will love this addition to your collection. If you are more of the "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" Frat Boy and or Southern Sorority Girl crowd, you will also love this introduction to his classics.

It's impossible to listen to this music without a memory or two of great concerts past - whether it's waiting in line at the public restrooms at the Waikiki Shell after one too many super size, watered down Margaritas, or the smell of herb in the air at Madison Square Garden, or anywhere in between. There is no substitute for the experience of a live Jimmy Buffett concert - but this CD comes pretty close.

Appropriately, this CD of encores ends with the ultimate encore: a heartfelt rendition of "A Pirate Looks at Forty" in Honolulu. Nicely done.

This CD is miles above Jimmy's recent efforts, which all too often feel like financing for his many airplanes and houses. This double CD will have you reaching for your blender with a smile.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2010
In Encores, Jimmy Buffett does what no other rock musician can do - bring his entire show back down to earth. In the double Cd, Jimmy "uses" some of his older and less popular songs to give us the listener an insight into himself and ,most importantly, ourselves and why the long time fans of the man have hung on for so many years. He himself acknowledges during the program that he never realized that he had been doing these "encores" for years without really knowing it. It's testament to his brand. Here we have a musician who comes back for a second and sometimes third encore with nothing but 6 strings and a pick to deliver a song in a most intimate manner.

For anyone who has attended Buffett concerts for years have perhaps grown out of songs like "Fins" and "Margaritaville" even with the lost verse. For me and you, we hold our breath and wait for the end of the concert when Mac, Nadirah, Mike, and Robert G, sign off for the night and leave the older, but not exactly grown up kid from Mississippi alone with 25,000 people. Songs like Death of an Unpopular Poet, Nautical Wheelers, and Coast of Marseilles are given new life and speak volumes to his remarkable ability to sing still.

Encores also does something else we never could have guessed. It gives us an insight into Jimmy's later years as a rocker, writer, and story teller. We sometimes imagine when Jimmy will finally hang up his flipfops and perhaps Encores sheds a light on what the next and last phase of his career may look like. The image of a slightly rotund blond turned grey hair, mostly balded, but yet still tattoed with that charismatic smile. It's the image of a beach bum kid that was blessed with one of the most profound jobs ever created for a man. I envision Jimmy eventually being called by his childhood nickname, Bubba. I can see it now. It's Bubba Buffett playing an intimate show for a group of no more than 500 in some auditorium where his songs and stories both mix and fill a 3 hour show. That indelible creature of the sea and stars still pouring his heart and soul out to an audience. We only wonder at the end of this type of show - what could possibly be his encore?
on October 17, 2010
We stopped going to Buffett shows about 12 years ago because we were really bored with his constant repetitive versions of "Songs We Know By Heart". I don't think I ever need to hear "Cheeseburger in Paradise" ever again; and I don't think I can stand to sit through another rendition of "Fins" or "Margaritaville". I realize that he is forced to play the hits ad nauseum because that's what the drunken frat-boy faux-parrotheads want to hear; and they are the ones who pack the venues and pay $50 for anything with a Margaritaville logo on it.

We used to wish that Buffett would just go out and do an accoustic tour with his lesser known songs as a gift for his long-term fans; that he should give us a chance to rediscover the spirituality of his seafaring laziness.
Well, the wait is over! He may not be doing accoustic tour, but this is the next best thing! It's definitely not a rehashed live album with tired versions of One "Particular Harbor" or "Why Don't We Get Drunk...". This is the real thing. This is the sound that drew us to Buffett from the beginning. There are only 2 or three of the overplayed hits. The rest are beautiful and inspiring; he finally gives us the fresh sound we've been craving for decades.
This is definitely the best album he's released in probably 30 years! Go out and buy this album; your music collection will not be complete without it.
on July 13, 2010
This was a great idea. The encores at buffett shows are always a treat- often acoustic snacks where old favorites are brought to life again. I have to confess, I am a parrothead- got hooked in highschool (1985) and have been going to shows and hearing the music in the background of my life ever since. I enjoyed Encores, the album. A few old favotites, a few new ones. Well worth the price of admission. Jimmy- it has been a lovely cruise. Thank You!

michael stevens
on March 30, 2011
Some of the cuts are worthy, but the production is jerky and filled with extraneous ovations as Buffet moves from venue to venue. Not close to being in the same league as Banana Wind or the concert in Antigua.
on June 29, 2010
A must have for any Buffett fan. The CD is all Encores from the 2008 tour. Over half just Jimmy on Acoustic guitar. The rest are with 2 or 3 other musicians...but still has that "Unplugged" feel to it. Great to listen to by the pool....with a drink!
on January 10, 2011
I liked this cd. The selection of live "encores" is wide and varied. The recording sounds crisp and clean. But by the end of listening to this cd, the concept of encores thus being the final song of the concert becomes very repetitive. With all the, "we'll see ya soon, thank you (insert city here) and other goodnights." I found myself hearing the repetitive banter over and over. I would suggest listening with other songs from your Buffett collection mixed in to loosen some of what I have therefore mentioned. Other than this, I really enjoyed the songs, just not in a straight line playlist.
on November 30, 2013
Who dose'nt like Jimmy. True parrotheads always preorder any albums. I had this one, but some how unable to locate it so i ordered another one when I pre-ordered the new CD. He can take you anywhere you want to go and never leave the house
on March 3, 2012
I am one notch down from a Parrothead. I've been buying his records since the Seventies and own every Buffett Album including the underground "Stoned in Sausalito". I've been going to his concerts for over three decades. I'm just not the "Fan" type, but if I were, it would be Jimmy. So when I trudged over to his website and found out there was a Buffett album I didn't own, I jumped on it. Well not quite. I do know better than to buy Jimmy products from Jimmy. So I came to Amazon. I guess I didn't really understand what this was. It is Jimmy doing the last song of the night at concert after concert after concert while he plays to the home town crowd. The first time I listened, which was the last time, it was just a bit too much sucking-up for one album. I loved a couple of new covers I had never heard, but I have to say, it wasn't my cup of tea.
I really think this is an album for die-hard Jimmy fans. I even commented to a friend that this album taught me I am not a Jimmy Buffet fan. I am a Jimmy Buffett music fan. Frankly I get a lot more mileage out of listening to a vintage copy of "Before the Salt" on vinyl. The man plays a mean acoustical guitar. I don't know why he stopped.
on May 28, 2010
this is the first live release of jimmy's that doesnt feature margaritaville.
that sets it apart but that alone is not what is unique about 'encores'.
for me 'you had to be there' was the ultimate live release, catching the rawness and genuiness of a buffett show. this is the follow up to that original live release.
this is jimmy acoustic (for every song) and solo (for most of the songs). this is jimmy truly pulling out something special for each audiance whereas most of the rest of the shows were run of the mill for the tour (which is still superb).
while most of jb's live albums are fun to listen to (live in anguila, vegas, fenway, etc) they do not stay in my regular rotation for long. but 'encores'?! this will never be removed from my overflowing ipod! these are great songs (most of which rarely heard) and unique stripped down versions of them to boot.
i just wish a full version of 'la vie dansante' would have made the cut. 2 lines of this gem thrown in at the end of another song doesnt cut it.
but maybe there will be an 'encores' II around the bend.
nicely done jimmy! my daughter and i love this release!