5.0 out of 5 stars Healing
Published on March 30, 2011 by J. Grufman

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing.
Not much information about heaven and how to secure a spot-accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior repenting of your sins. Sins means mistakes according to the greek in Strong's concordance.
Published 2 months ago by Thomas K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing, March 30, 2011
My brother passed away suddenly just a few days after Christmas, 2010. As a Christian my hope is in Jesus and the promises God has made to us. Knowing my brother's faith in Christ and how he lived his life, I never question what happened to him after he died. I know he is in heaven. Even knowing that, I still miss him terribly. So when I went to the store looking for a "fluffy" book to lose myself in (something to help redirect my thoughts from my grief) I saw this book on the shelf and resisted picking it up. I wasn't interested in reading about people dying. I walked away twice but ended up coming back, feeling compelled to look at it and finally, to buy it. Once I started reading it, I found I couldn't put it down - but not because I was reading any story the type of which I hadn't heard before, or things I didn't already know from my own experience. What struck me powerfully was a sense that the veil between our earthly existance and that of heaven is very "thin." I find that comforting. Jim is not so far away.

Another reason this book soothes my spirit is that it is written completely from the Christian perspective. Scriptural basis is abundant, and Jesus Christ is glorified. As far as I could tell, the Truth of Scripture is upheld. The authors speak very firmly against any kind of attempts made by the living to contact the dead, just as God's Word speaks against such activity. The accounts in the book involve either a near death experience, or some sort of "visit" from a loved one who had died. None of the living had any control over the event described in their story. They just happened.

I think that for believers in Jesus Christ, this book may bring great comfort. It certainly did for me. And, for anyone who hasn't made a decision for Jesus Christ, I hope this book would direct them to the Truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Advice, July 29, 2009
Do many of us give any thought about the afterlife?

Sure, we hear ghosts stories deemed as true, and then we have people who believe in reincarnation. But what does the Ultimate Source- the Bible have to say about the afterlife? Is the Bible even relevant in these contemporary times? What does it have to say about ghosts, talking dead, and Heaven or Hell?

James Garlow has addressed these questions and more in his book Heaven and the Afterlife. I wanted to read it for myself and glean information from it that may help me.

It certainly did.

Here are some key phrases from the book that I highlighted that were just pure awesome:

"God wants us to influence other people to righteousness- to have a right relationship with him."

"The Master Designer of all creativity and all things good, would never have his most loved friends (us) in unending boredom, slogging through an eternity of navel-gazing, chanting, and yoga. Now that would be hell."

"God did not make hell for humans, but for those who deserve it: the devil and his demons. Yet we can will it for ourselves."

All these plus more, just can't express how much I adored Garlow's writing. He was witty, informing, and very serious about God. What makes the book even more unique, is the fact that Garlow doesn't shy away from the tough questions the world asks. The world asks about reincarnation because they are afraid that there is an eternal end.

Then there are those who believe in ghosts...well, Jesus never said there weren't ghosts, you just don't want to entertain them.

I could not stop reading and highlighting this book, and it is a sure feast for anyone who wants to know what is on the other side. Garlow admits at some points that we just won't know until we get there.

Pure honesty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, September 18, 2010
True confessions: I watch very little TV, so unlike the first reviewer, I thought this book was great, a real encouragement, and full of fantastic stories. Perhaps if you watch a lot of TV and have been exposed to these types of stories, this book might be boring. I couldn't put it down and came away hyped about Heaven!! I love life, and am trying to live it to the full, but when it is my time to die, this book reminded me that death and the life hereafter in the presence of God will be absolutely phenomenal. I'd recommend this book -- whether you're a seeker, or concerned that Heaven is just going to be about harp playing and cloud floating, or have been a Christian for years -- this book will have something for YOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven and the Afterlife, August 10, 2009
I have only been a Christian for a little over five years, so I still have a lot of questions that I seek wise biblical answers to. I love to read books that help answer the questions that Christians have. Heaven and the Afterlife is one of the best books I have read on this subject. The world tries to answer questions dealing with what happens when we die, but I have found those "answers" to just cause more confusion. James L. Garlow and Keith Wall have taken all those questions about Heaven and the afterlife and answered them using biblical principles to support their answers.

Heaven and the Afterlife tackles topics ranging from what happens when we die to whether or not ghosts and demons really exist. This book is very practical and informative. The format and writing is readable and suitable for "young" Christians such as myself, but even people who have been Christians for a long time will benefit from this book.

I am so thankful I found this book. It was very difficult to put down because as I kept reading, I had other questions come to mind that I wanted to read more about. I will keep this book handy on my bookshelf to look at again and again. I highly recommend this book, but not just to Christians. I feel that this book can help non-believers understand that heaven and hell are real and it will guide readers to their Savior and to heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book restored my hope that I will see my pets, family and best of all Jesus someday!, March 8, 2012
Pirate2240 "Kat" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife: True Stories From People Who Have Glimpsed the World Beyond (Kindle Edition)
Oh I would never know how much this book would mean to me or how much of a comfort it is to anyone who has experienced loss whether it's someone we love or even a pet we hold dear to our hearts. This book provides the hope we need to know that we will see our loved ones again in heaven as long as they are a believer in Jesus Christ.

It's also an amazing book to use to show you what heaven is like, what happens when we die, what is hell like, what are the roles of angels and demons in this life and just what near death experiences can show us from those that have been to the other side and have come back. It also details various stories of those people on their last moments who have had the opportunity to share what they see just moments before they pass over to the other side.

This book provides a wide variety of stories such as angels watching over us during our day to day lives, rescues from angels when we are at risk, glimpses of heaven from those who have crossed over to the other side when they technically have died only to be sent back. There are loved ones waiting for us, pets that have passed on before us and the most beautiful descriptions of heaven, the houses that are there for us believers as well as the peace, music and love that fills them the moment they step across. The best part is that Jesus is waiting for us on the other side where there will be no more tears, sorrow or pain and the best part is, we will never be separated from those that we love ever again.

This book also takes the reader into the dark side of death and provides some detailed accounts of just what hell is like and how dramatically it changed the lives of those that were able to come back and make sure they didn't wind up there permanently. The book also provides some accounts of those who have dabbled with the occult only to wind up with an evil demon living in their house. It also tells you about ghosts and how we should not be seeking to communicate with anyone or anything that have passed on. To do so is tempting fate with evil.

I received this book as a free Kindle eBook and the opinions expressed are merely my own. Encountering Heaven and The Afterlife by James L. Garlow is a must have for anyone. It gives us all hope that this is not the end when we die. There are many many stories including one of the authors own personal account that will definitely make you a believer. I personally recommend this book to anyone going through the grieving process or who have experienced a loss. This one rates a perfect 5 out of 5 stars in my opinion. This book also uses the Bible as a guide to define what will happen to us all and as a basis for what stories are based on what the Bible teaches us about death, angels, demons, heaven and hell!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book that Demonstrates a Great God, March 10, 2012
I am a Christian woman. I bought this book based on a review that stated this book was in line with scripture. I am often skeptical of books on heaven because some things do not line up with the bible, and if they do not, I do not give them credence. The stories in this book are so beyond imagining, even if you have an open mind you may find yourself saying, did this really happen? I believed everything I read in this book and found myself, over and over, crying and giving thanks to a loving God who reached grieving people in dozens of different ways. People who saw departed loved ones, people who were dying and saw their already-departed loved ones with their arms stretched out waiting for them. Descriptions of heaven, and yes, even a frightening description of a man's experience of hell. God is good and loving, desires to comfort us and His angels work amongst us as well. This is a wonderful book that lines up with the teachings of the bible, otherwise I would not be recommending it. One thing that had me almost burst into tears was a man describing seeing his pets in heaven. I had thought this was never going to happen. I have lost pets that I grieved for like some people grieve for their favorite relative. If it is so I will see them again, I can wait for any length of time for that fulfilled promise. I am very grateful to the authors of this book, to the people who so bravely came forth with their fantastic stories, and for a very great, loving and good God.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, August 26, 2009
We have all heard stories of near-death experiences or of people having contact with the dead but how do you know what you should believe? Heaven and the Afterlife by James L. Garlow covers various topics related to the afterlife, whether it be near-death experiences, angels, ghosts, mediums and other topics. His book examines these topics and presents facts, stories from individuals, including medical professionals and what the bible tells us about these topics.

This is an interesting read, and although I found I agreed with many points, there were many things that I feel Garlow insinuates as facts when, in reality, are not. A person's individual story cannot be taken as the truth. And even if many people share a similar experience, that doesn't necessarily make it true, either. Sometimes people are motivated to say something, whether it be for attention, to convince oneself, etc.

Garlow examines the Catholic belief of purgatory and explains the differences in the protestant church. Yet, he only offers a weak argument for the belief, as he is a non-believer. If you are Catholic, you will be disappointed in his efforts to explain the Catholic stance.

Although it has been decades since I read Life After Life, the beginning of this book seemed eerily familiar. Which, I guess, most readers probably have not read the earlier book so it would be all new to them.

All said, he does bring out many clear points about truths from the Bible, such as what we know about angels, ghosts, and the afterlife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife, January 12, 2011
Ally5479 (Paragould, AR) - See all my reviews
I lost my daughter to breast cancer in 2009 and I cannot tell you how this helped me to understand more of what I already know. My daughter saw a little boy, now I know he was and angel sent to help her get ready to go home. I recommend this book or audio. I accidently bought the audio and I am glad I did. I drive a lot and did not realize how much I enjoyed this experience. If you have lost a loved one or someone you know does not know about the afterlife, get this book. You could save their soul.

4.0 out of 5 stars theology for dummies, July 30, 2009
This is a very interesting theological discussion on Heaven and Hell. Since I am not a theologian I very much appreciated the fact that it was written for the average person. My husband is currently a seminary student and I am use to hearing all the big theological words. But thankfully they are not here.

What you will find is a very excellent discussion on Heaven and Hell. The writers refreshingly used scripture to back up all of their information. Mixed in you will read about different near death experiences. There are discussions about spirits, angels, demons and satan.

This is a very good book that I really enjoyed reading. It answered some questions and clarified others. If you are interested in these topics I believe you will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful uplifting stories giving food for thought!, October 4, 2010
I am thoroughly enjoying the CD of Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife. So much so that I ordered James Garlow/Keith Wall's book that preceded this one--Heaven and the Afterlife. I can hardly put it down!