Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Encyclopedia of Animals
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 6, 2007
We actually bought this book to replace the one of it we had bought before. My son is now almost two years old. He loves this book. It is a BIG book filled with amazing info and (more importantly) pictures. He loved this book so much that before he could carry it he would slide it across the floor for me to read. This book is a MUST for any child that has any interest in animals at all.
on July 29, 2015
I bought three different animal encyclopedias for our homschool classroom since we are doing Zoology this year. I do like that this book is mainly photographs, instead of drawings. I did not like that it was soft back...I don't think it will hold up well. And I do not like that it doesn't include the scientic/Latin names of the animals. My favorite of the three is "Animals: A Visual Encyclopedia" by DK (it has beautiful, crisp photos, a logical lay-out with colored tabs dividing the different animal groups and it has the scientic name for each animal).
on July 8, 2011
We purchased this book as a supplement for homeschooling our 6 and 10 year olds. The book has gorgeous pictures with an overview of many animals. There are just enough details to whet your appetite to learn more without overwhelming you if it's an animal you aren't that interested in. We're very pleased with the purchase and really recommend it.
on February 16, 2009
Every child should have this book! Its full of so many photos of all different kinds of animals and lots of great information as well. My three year old loves to page through this book and the information is concise enough that I can quickly read a page or paragraph and tell her about the animal, yet it has enough info that we both learn something new. We plan to use this as a resource for many years to come, but its great just for looking at pictures even now! I think it should come in hardcover, but I couldn't tell if the hardcover version was the same or if it was an older edition since it looks different. We have the soft cover and it looks like will hold up ok, but being such a big heavy book I'd rather it was hard cover. Oh well. I debated between this book and the "my first" version and chose this, I'm glad I did, the "my first" just didn't seem to have as much info or animals in it as this one. This one isn't overwhelming either, its great!
VINE VOICEon October 18, 2007
DK has done it again. My son, a true animal lover and enthusiast, simply devoured this book. Highly recommended for children - and adults.
on April 5, 2016
We've been a homeschooling family for over almost three decades. The Encyclopedia of Animals has proven to be an excellent science reference book for so many reasons. It is very informative and well-illustrated, with colorful pictures and just enough information on each animal to make it entertaining but not confounding. The lists of animals is diverse, so there's old animals your child will recognize and love learning new information about, but also new animals that they will enjoy discovering. Whether you're casually reading for leisure or planning your studies for the day, it's well-organized and concise. The only criticism I have is with regard to the editing. I remember reading this same problem in previous reviews before I ordered this book and I would have to agree. There are grammar issues and problems with spelling throughout the book. If you're an English and Spelling fanatic like me and you have avid readers that you're trying to raise and teach appropriate behavior, then this just may be a dealbreaker because honestly, these are pretty bad mistakes. I can't imagine what went wrong because other than that, it's a great book. Bottom line, I gave it four starts.
on March 18, 2016
Our toddler LOVES this book. She has learned tons from it. She's always asking for "ambimal book." I mean always. At least 5x a day. It was our most successful Christmas gift to her hands down.
on May 27, 2016
I purchased DK's Encyclopedia of Animals along with a few other books for an upcoming zoology study my kids will be doing in the near future. When received, I immediately flipped through the pages... and WOW! The pictures are amazing and what I would expect from a DK book! This encyclopedia is very informative and engaging not to mention HUGE. My son decided to look through it and was so excited by all the facts he didn't know about his favorite animals. My only regret is not purchasing this one in hardback because I know it will be used often (although the softcover seems very durable)! This book is a fantastic addition to my family's homeschool library.
on February 11, 2016
Good pics, Good info. 6 1/2 yr old initiating reading with it. We also purchased the First Encyclopedia of Animals - which he reads independently, but he loves all the information in the bigger book, even though he needs help with a lot of words! He will not be outgrowing this book for a long time. Lots of "I wonder" opportunities. Good for when you have 15-30 min before the next part of your day. I have already purchased 2 more for gifts - which inspired spontaneous "oh, cool" comments! Cover with contact paper because it will be well read.
on July 24, 2014
We homeschool and have kids of all ages around often. Every child to whom I've handed this book immediately sat and started reading and enjoying the beautiful pictures. Even pre-readers will love the gorgeous, full-color photos. This is my "I need you to be still and quiet for a while" book. I recommend animal encyclopedias as gifts for little ones. They will be enjoyed for years.