5.0 out of 5 stars Harley's...Can't be Beat
Published on December 14, 2007 by M. L. Canfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice content, poor print quality, inaccurate info
The photos are nice. Lots of pics and a good history of HD. However the binding and print quality are awful. The book feels like it will fall apart at the seams. Then I read that it was printed in China and all was explained. I am sorry, but a book about such a huge part of American history being printed in China is a disgrace.

Also there is a lot of inaccurate...
Published on May 23, 2011 by M. Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice content, poor print quality, inaccurate info, May 23, 2011
M. Lee (West Lafayette, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson (Hardcover)

Also there is a lot of inaccurate info. For example, the author assumes every police bike is an Electra Glide. There are photos of police Road Kings that are referred to as Electra Glides, etc. No knowledgeable person should ever confuse the two, it's a very obvious difference. There are other mistakes as well throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harley's...Can't be Beat, December 14, 2007
Recently a friend of my daughter's came into possession of a Harley Sporster model year 1973.. I have been a Harley fan forever..and I'm 79 years of age..I hadn't been on a Harley in over 8 years..the last one being an Electra Glide and I rode behind my son in Ore. Unexpectedly one day I got to ride on the Sportster..and it really was a good ride...I found the Harley book on line with Amazon and bought it for the owner of
the 73..He was very surprised and pleased..and I hated to give it up , but at my age..that was probably my last ride..I'll still listen for the Harley engine..and will probably order the book for myself one of these days..well worth the money.
M.L.Canfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Yikes!, April 8, 2014
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson (Hardcover)
While the Harley-Davidson is a high quality American icon, this book is anything but quality. The book text is blurry in places and some of the information, particularly photo captions, are inaccurate. It's a shame since it does a good job at covering the over 100-year history of the motorcycle. Since its humble beginnings in 1903, the book tells the story of why Harley-Davidson has had staying power for so many years, "Only when their prototype worked consistently did they consider selling a replica. In fact, this cautious, conservative attitude was to typify how they did business over the next four decades."

If you are looking for accurate information on Harley-Davidson, there are many other books out there to consider. I would highly recommend anything you can find by Allan Girdler, particularly now that they back in print. The images in Harley Davidson Sportster are great and I love all the detail in Harley-Davidson Racing, 1934-1986.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy an Official Harley Book if you want accurate info, June 18, 2013
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson (Hardcover)
The inaccuracies are a joke. On the first page following the table of contents there is a late 90's Star that is captioned as a restored Harley. Of course the professional source is cited as some random Flickr user... In addition, page 311 notes that Erik Buell was inspired by a Victory cruiser. Victory started up in '98, Buell in '83... you make the call.

In short there are a lot of great pictures but you need to research your own facts to go with them.

Perhaps earlier versions of the book didn't have the same problems, I get the feeling that the publisher paid some interns to do the 2010 update and only gave them a Google based research budget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as accurate as I hoped, January 26, 2013
Got as a 2012 Christmas gift from someone who knows I have a Harley, and I hoped for a good read. Fairly extensive, but I was turned off by the full page photo on page 6 (right after the Contents page) that is captioned as "Beautifully restored vintage Harley-Davidson in Geneva" that is clearly a photo of a 1998 or 1999 Yamaha Star Motorcycle Royal Star 1300. Note Star gas tank emblem, modern Yamaha controls, radiator and visible driveshaft to name a few clues to the real make of the bike. Not sure if this was just a "put-on" by the authors to see if anyone caught the joke, or if they honestly felt it was really a H-D. Makes much of the content and photos in the book suspect. However, many of the facts presented and the photos given are correct.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Pictures - Bad Facts, January 1, 2014
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson (Hardcover)
Given to my husband as a gift. First thing you notice is the nicely restored HD on page 6 is a late 90's Yamaha Star 1300CC bike. Radiator cooled, shaft drive, none of which are on HD cruisers. Some places the pics are mislabeled The pictures are great the breakdown of models over the years are good. Just too bad that no one picked up on the Yamaha so prominently displayed. Makes all the editing suspect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked good until I unwrapped it..., June 22, 2013
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson (Hardcover)
Nice looking book...but that is where it stops. The binding broke as soon as I opened the cover. Very cheaply made. I gambled that my experience would not be similar to other reviews I had read...wrong. I would not recommend this book at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice coffee table book, December 19, 2012
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson (Hardcover)
The book was in perfect shape.....i was disappointed that the book said that it covered bikes through 2010. It really stops in 2000, the rest just comments on the other years. I was looking for information on 2004 to 2009 model. I don't blame the dealer.......just not quite true advertising.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly researched., January 20, 2015
This review is from: The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson (Hardcover)
It was hard for me to enjoy the book after the picture on page 6 of my 2013 hardcover edition. What is captioned as a 'Beautifully restored vintage Harley-Davidson in Geneva' clearly sports a shaft-drive, water cooled, plasti-chromed Yamaha with a 50 something degree engine.
There are interesting pictures in the rest of the book despite numerous glaring inaccuracies, I'm not sure 'encyclopedia' is the right description for the publication, perhaps table book would be a better fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, May 16, 2011
Robert S. Ottaway (North Bay, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
For the price I think this was a good buy. It's not as comprehensive as an "encyclopedia" could or even should be. It does a good job of glancing over the history, and some of the major community things (Sturgis, Daytona). The listing of all the models of bikes is a nice touch. I think for someone who is just learning about HD this would be a good primer.

The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson
The Encyclopedia of the Harley Davidson by Ian Kerr (Hardcover - July 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $8.24