5.0 out of 5 stars fun way to learn history and mythology with a child... or without, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Encyclopedia Mythologica: Gods and Heroes Pop-Up (Hardcover)
This was a Christmas present to the whole family, and we've been reading to our 4-year-old daughter as her bedtime story for the last few nights. The writing is a bit above her normal comprehension level, so it requires us to stop and explain most of the images in terms she can understand, but she absolutely loves the pop-ups, and it has inspired conversations and sparked interest in things that wouldn't have been discussed otherwise. Really beautiful, and it touches on many different interesting parts of history - as they relate to Gods and heroes. Our daughter especially loved the Thor page and the "castle in the clouds." Daddy enjoys reading it too, and wants to get the one about dragons.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pop-up Encyclopedia! What a great cool idea!!, November 23, 2013
Jonhayashi1 (New York, Long Island) - See all my reviews
After I ordered ENCYCLOPEDIA MYTHOLOGICA FAIRIES AND MAGICAL BEINGS POP-UP by Matthew Reinhart and saw how beautiful it is I had to get his GODS AND HEROES and after I wait 5 days for it to be shipped to my house it just amazes me how beautiful it really is!! I'm glad there is a video for all 3 of these MYTHOLOGICA books to get a good idea of how they look, but the low resolution video doesn't show the beauty of these books with sharp detail! When I see the Greek myth Mount Olympus Pop-up I revel in the detail of the Greek gods and I recognised nearly all of them standing and sitting in the temple buildings! Whether it's Hera, wife of Zeus, with her arms folded while Zeus sits on his throne or Hermes messanger of the gods flying over Olympus and Isis the rainbow goddess flying down her rainbow, the mythical characters are rendored both simply and beautifully in the pop-up stucture! And it all pop-up so fantastic!

And the mini pop-ups show both the fall of Atlantis by a furious Poseidan and Artemus, Athena, and Aphodite appear together next to the Atlantis scene in the mini pop-up! Since I am an animater, I am impressed with the motion effects acheived with these pop-ups! In the mini pop-up you can see Artemus the hunting goddess pulling back her arrow on her bow as the little pop-up opens! The next pages show a fold out ship depiction of Jason's ship the Argo with an incredible fold out sail that spreads out like a fan! There is also the 12 labours of Hercules displayed by pulling a tab to show the tasks Hercules must perform drawn onto different small pages that are revealed when you keep pulling the tab! The next pages have a great pop-up of Thor the thunder god striking down with his hammer when you open and close the pages! And a clever mini pop-up shows what looks like a pretty maiden with a vail, but when you pull open the pop-up all the way you see it is Loki the trickster god pulling off his female mask! Another mini pop-up reveals a Valkerie warrier woman on her steed galloping in the sky!

Asian myths are represented by the next two pages, with a volcanic goddess named Pele who erupts into fury when the warrior she is attracted to is attracted to her sister! She explodes out of the volcano when you open these pages! The last 2 pages show Quetzalcoatl the giant god serpent of the Aztecs! And I should mention that the first pages of this book have a great pop-up figure of Anubis the Jackal headed God of death of the ancient egyptians along with a mini pop-up pyramid and a woman shaving off her eyebrows when you open the mini pop-up, to express her grief at the loss of her cat!! I anxiously wait to recieve my DRAGONS AND MONSTERS POP-UP ENCYCLOPEDIA ! But I'm still waiting for that because seller swati21 put that book into the wrong package that was sent out to a Jonathan Hunsaker in Utah while I live in Uniondale, N.Y.!! Swati21's staff mixed up the ordered items and sent them to the wrong people! I got Hunsaker's order of DINOSAURS and SHARKS POP-UP ENCYCLOPEDIAS and he got my order of DRAGONS AND MONSTERS!! I had to mail Hunsaker's ordered items to him in UTAH!! So beware of seller swati21!!! Seller Bookseller USA sold me the FAIRIES AND MAGICAL CREATURES and GODS AND HEROES ENCYCLOPEDIA POP-UP books! So I recommend Bookseller USA!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flat out AMAZING., December 12, 2011
If you are lucky enough to have one of Matthew Reinhart and Robert Sabuda's books fall into your hands, odds are your first word will be "WOW!" Then your mouth will fall open and just hang there while you turn the pages, as you had no idea that a pop-up book could look like this. Reinhart and Sabuda are like the rock stars of the pop up world, creating the most amazing books. This is the final volume in the Encyclopedia Mythologica trilogy series, preceded by Gods and Heroes, and Fairies and Magical Creatures.

Even though I know what to expect when I open one of these, I am still astounded when a new one is released. Each page features one enormous pop-up in the center of the page, with smaller booklets in the corners. Medusa rears her ugly head on page one, with fanged green snakes rearing every which way. Two pages later, a dragon erupts, tubes of bright red crepe paper forming his tubular body. Other main events: a vampire rising from his coffin, Bigfoot hiding behind a tree, a fearsome winged dragon, and a kraken attacking an unlucky ship.
Although there are technically only six pages, there is so much information (and paper!) tucked into each, that the book measures three inches thick. The booklets in the corners provide written information paired with smaller pop-ups. I like that these have tiny tabbed corners that hold them closed, so the pages stay nice and neat until the reader is ready to release them.

Yes, the books in the Encyclopedia Mythologica series cost a bit more than the average hardcover children's book, but they are worth every single penny. This is art, engineering, and creativity all tucked up into a neat package. Although the video below shows each page, it honestly does not do the book justice. Leafing through a physical own copy is far more impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big hit with 6 year old at Christmas, December 29, 2011
flifish "gloomisglx" (Sheridan, WY United States) - See all my reviews
This was the gift that the 6 year old couldn't let go of long enough to open other gifts at Christmas. I'm told she had to take this to other Christmas parties to show it off. I think that says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Special, July 24, 2014
When I was younger, I loved pop ups. They were really expensive though. I tried to 'invent my own'. When I saw this on Amazon, I read all the reviews. I was really excited. I decided to splurge and pay around $25 for one. The book did not disappoint me. It delighted my inner child. The paper engineering is fantastic. It really makes you wonder how talented and creative Matt and his team must be. I want to meet them. I am now their biggest fan! If you are reading this Matt, teach me your ways! Seriously, I have never seen paper do the things it can do until I opened this book. You will be amazed. The colors and stories that accompany the book are also very fascinating. I learned a bit about different mythologies. I recognized a few from the East. This is definitely something special.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING COLLECTIBLE ARTWORK/BOOK, February 27, 2010
Jamahv (Washington State) - See all my reviews
If you are a collector of pop-up books, thenGods and Heroes Pop-Up Special Edition is a must for you. It is a beautiful presentation, not as pictured here. This edition comes in rich red silk cloth covers, in a slipcase with a ribbon inserted to facilitate removal of the book, and with the spine embossed with the title in gold. There is a special folder insert-mounted on the cover which opens to reveal a unique pop-up, Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart autographs, and numbers indicating which number you have received out of a total of 250. The Special Edition books by Sabuda/Reinhart have improved in value because of the limited number made available for purchase. For each title of the Sabuda/ Reinhart books in my collection, I have a first edition, a signed first edition, and a Special Edition. I highly recommend these special books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Pop-up Book!!!, December 18, 2010
Just love this book! It's so "popular". I cannot even imagine the man hours involved in its production. What a bargain! As a former elementary school teacher, I feel that history can be made more real to children through illustrations. This book has the most incredible pop-ups that encourage a rememberance of history and mythology.

I purchased this book for a great nephew, but I will wait until next Christmas when he's a little older to gift him with this item. In the meantime I'm going to keep it and savor it as a treat to myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sabuda w/ Reinhart, April 23, 2014
L A. Ruocco (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Your work is an inspiration to us here at the Enterprises; (La Ru©&co. Enterprises). We aspire to live up to your quality of production, fabulous artistry you share so easily with people to have great masterpiece' in their own personal book shelves. Thank you for putting the imagination to the great legends of our history, & iconic stories re-told through your hand, insuring a legacy to the subjects you reference & becoming a legacy of your own. -Laruocco April 23rd 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars this pop-up book is AMAZING! I first saw this in a book store ..., September 16, 2014
Wow, this pop-up book is AMAZING! I first saw this in a book store when I was browsing with a friend. I couldn't get this book out of my mind for days afterward, which has ever happened before. So I gotta have it. My friends tease me for downgrading my reading level, but the fact is, they are all amazed by the artistry when I bring it out. This book has become an entertainment highlight in my library among my bookish and artsy friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible pages of art, January 2, 2012
I purchased this as a Christmas present for a family member who collects pop-up books and she loved the detailed and elaborate pages. As a high school and college professor, she was also impressed with the variety of cultural mytholigies that were depicted. She ranked it in her top three of pop-ups.

Encyclopedia Mythologica: Gods and Heroes Pop-Up
Encyclopedia Mythologica: Gods and Heroes Pop-Up by Matthew Reinhart (Hardcover - January 4, 2010)
$29.99 $22.67