Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
weighs three pounds and nine ounces, has 946 pages, and is as informative as it is hefty. The authors are naturopathic doctors--they focus on promoting health and treating disease with nontoxic, natural therapies. Naturopathic medicine follows these seven principles:
- Do no harm: use safe, effective, natural therapies.
- Nature has healing powers: the physician's job is to enhance the body's natural power to heal itself.
- Identify and treat the cause: find the cause, rather than just suppress the symptoms.
- Treat the whole person: administer to the patient's physical, mental/emotional, spiritual, and social sides.
- The physician is a teacher: educate and motivate patients to take more responsibility for their health.
- Prevention is the best cure: health-supporting life habits prevent disease.
- Establish health and wellness: increase the patient's positive physical and mental state.
This book shows you how to improve your health through a positive mental attitude, healthy lifestyle, health-promoting diet, and supplements, with plenty of practical tips. Learn disease prevention through enhancing key body systems. The bulk of the book details natural remedies for treating more than 70 ailments. Each includes symptoms, description, therapeutic considerations (with discussion of studies), and a treatment summary, including nutritional supplements and botanical (herbal) medicines. If you have a disease, this book will give you a valuable perspective on natural treatments. If you're well, it will give you many pointers for maintaining and enhancing your health. --Joan Price
From Library Journal
Revised, updated, and expanded, this classic naturopathic reference by two naturopathic physicians is still one of the best books on natural medicine for consumers. Comprehensive and easy to use, it discusses some 70 health problems. What truly sets it apart from other similar titles are the scientific articles (82 pages in total!) that support the encyclopedia's content. Highly recommended. (LJ 5/1/91)
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.