Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2011 2:30:16 PM PST
Since two days have passed since Early Access began, I'm assuming that the first person is hitting level 50 right around now (okay, maybe not quite yet, lol) so I'm going to open up the can of worms here: is there any end game content besides Eternity Vault?

I personally was hoping for at least 3 endgame-level Operations at release. I am enjoying the game now but I'm worried that Bioware may have underestimated the capacity and speed at which mmo gamers consume content.

We have all seen several mmos fail in their early stages of life because there wasn't enough to do when you reached max level. They all thought, "we'll see if the game is a success and then develop the bulk of the endgame content 6 months down the line". A month into the launch of said game, they think, "Success! Lets get that endgame content going!" 6 months later, a good chunk of endgame content is released to almost no one because everyone has moved on...

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but it's hard to imagine a successful, *sustaining* MMO that doesn't have a good chunk of their overall content as endgame (say 25%-30% of all content at launch).

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 2:34:22 PM PST
Diknak says:
I think there is just the one operation, but I am not sure. A lot of games launch with just 1 raid and do just fine (WoW).

It is way to early to claim that the sky is falling. Eternity Vault is pretty big and there are hard modes for progression.

I'm sure that Bioware has already been working on post release content, so it isn't something that hasn't been started, I can assure you that.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:11:12 PM PST
We'll see... when WoW was launched, other games didn't even HAVE endgame content so it was HUGE! 7 years later, we expect a little more out of an MMO at launch.

I've read from Beta testers that EV is faceroll easy. Now, hopefully they've upt(sp? is it even a word?) the difficulty for launch but the low-level flashpoints seem about the same as in beta (i.e. faceroll easy).

Will Bioware get enough endgame content into the game before it loses all it's subscribers?! Sounds like the end of a 1950's action TV show. "Or will Lone Ranger be doomed?"

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:28:41 PM PST
Emperor says:
^
upped*

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 6:49:58 PM PST
There will always be nerds who rush to the level cap then complain about not enough end game content. Those people can't be helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 5:33:11 AM PST
Other games didnt have Endgame Content? Everquest had end game content...EQ2 im almost positive did.

Also T.R. the lvling up process is Great, I already want to play through it again so I can make different choices...so that will hold me and a few others over till the end game gets there.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 7:21:25 AM PST
FileNotFound says:
The current highest level people that I have seen are still in their low 30s. These are the guys who got in day 1 and have played non stop.

There is "end game" content, there are world bosses and lots of instances to farm but ToR is not a "top heavy" game like modern day WoW.

With that said, the beauty of SWTOR is in the main story and you will get at least 400 hour of of the main story for all classes. As such, those rushing to the level cap are "doing it wrong".

Later content will certainly be developed with max level players in mind, but it'd be idiotic to release a game that had more end content than anything else.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 7:53:47 AM PST
Daniel Page says:
Well, as someone who has a job and a life and doesn't play games 24/7, I probably won't be seeing endgame for several more months anyways. I have the feeling that there are more people like me out there than there are super-rush-to-the-end types, so I really don't think the majority of players will reach end-game in 3 days and then give up on the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 8:39:56 AM PST
even those of us who do have the time to "rush", not all will be wanting to rush. I am really enjoying this game and lvling up.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 11:28:08 AM PST
kpsting says:
Is the combat log in right now, since it wasn't available during beta?

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 2:37:00 PM PST
I have been playing since the first wave and I am still only level 11 on my Trooper. Most people will take a while to get to the cap but expect the nerds to always complain about not enough end game content regardless of if its true or not.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 1:17:50 AM PST
B.L says:
I don't see why people are calling other people nerds. I mean you're also playing a Star Wars mmo...

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 6:59:04 AM PST
Erabus says:
Just for the record, WoW did NOT launch with any end-game raid content. God, I still remember the horrendous nights of 10-manning (Only because we could exploit a bug that allowed more than five people to enter.) Upper Blackrock Spire after spending months just getting the damn key for access. Give this game time.

It is not the destination that is important, but the journey you took to reach it. This game seems to epitomize that philosophy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 8:34:45 AM PST
FileNotFound says:
There is still no combat log. In PVP it does give a read out to how much dmg/healing etc you did, but no actual DPS values anywhere.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 8:55:47 AM PST
WoW did start with one raid, Molten Core.

And on average only one raid instance was added per patch or 2 per expansion.

but it's Other content is rather lacking. thats where SWTOR comes in, it's more or less the inverse.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:08:28 AM PST
kpsting says:
There are no grindable NPC factions that I could find in SWTOR but usually in other MMOs factions have small amount of initial quests and the rest is a long grind for less than adequate rewards. At least that's how it was in vanilla WoW and vanilla LOTRO.

There is no achievement system right now but I'm hoping they're going to implement one.

Space combat rewards system, from what I've seen, is really basic. They said they're working on revamping the whole space combat (which is pretty basic and not to mention clunky right now) so we'll see what they can come up with.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:52:51 AM PST
Erabus says:
Unfortunately, Molten Core was not in the game at release. It was not released until a few months later. I can still remember when they patched it in and everyone was crowding the quest NPC to gain access, then running Blackrock Depths for the quest item that allowed attunement, followed by the heart-lurching jump through the window over open lava to zone in.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:59:33 AM PST
Diknak says:
They have said that the Codex is their version of the achievement system. It has all the aspects of an achievement system, but it just doesn't give you a score. You unlock codex entries from defeating bosses, discovering locations, discovering a new species, etc.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:10:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 11:12:25 AM PST
kpsting says:
Codex is more like an additional flavor to provide some immersion on a side while actual achievement system like in WoW was another kind of meta game. You won't see flashpoint runs organized just for adding a couple of codex entries. Speaking of which, I ran 2 different FPs so far and don't recall any bosses giving codex entries.
P.S. That meteorite launcher device in Hammer Station was pretty cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 11:15:00 AM PST
FileNotFound says:
Yeah...cool is one word for it. Did it a few days ago with a newbie group, we moved on to fight some mobs, healer stayed on the bridge - got pelted with the giant rock and flung right out of the instance...

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:19:11 AM PST
kpsting says:
Does it really push you out, though? I thought when the bridge disappears you just fall down
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC
Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (805)