5.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of Megadeth's True Return

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting better
Published on December 26, 2009 by Metalhammer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of Megadeth's True Return, September 15, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
Megadeth, Dave Mustaine, both are names that are commonplace in the Metal Community and for good reason as Dave has been releasing quality Metal since the Mid-Eighties and that is no easy feat considering most of the bands that Megadeth grew with conformed to more mainstream styles or broke up. Mustaine and Megadeth continue to be constant idols for new and old fans of Rock and Metal to look up to. Mustaine's most recent offering Endgame is possibly one of my favorite releases by the group in years.

Endgame kicks off with 2:25 of Mustaine and Co. ripping up some amazing riffs as the first track 'Dialectic Chaos' is Instrumental and a great start to an amazing album. Mustaine's trademark quality soloing hasn't lost any of it potency and you can tell right from this short track that this album will be one to enjoy for quite some time. The instrumental leads into 'This Day We Fight!', a very upbeat track with to-the-point lyrics and some impressive soloing.

'44 Minutes' starts out with some tranquil leads and the eerie recordings of 911 tapes. This would be one of the tracks where Dave gives us something to think about as the lyrics discuss the general violence in the world today and more particularly tells the story of being amidst a fire fight. '1,320' is a romp of riffing, bombastic drumming and roaring leads that towards the end erupts into one of the best solo's on the album.

Four tracks into the album and I find myself still extremely intrigued as to what will come next. Something that I honestly haven't felt for a Megadeth album in some time. I would not consider the album groundbreaking by this point, however I would say it ranks up there with some of Mustaine's best works such as Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, Rust in Peace and my personal favorite Youthanasia. So far Dave has tackled the most prominent problem in our world today violence and has done it with style rather then preaching.

Later in the album we get what I can only describe as a modern classic and the title track 'Endgame'. Easily a massive stand out track on the album with a barrage of pummeling aggressive riffs, epic solo's and one of the catchiest chorus' on the album. This track alone is sure to be aired all over Metal radio for some time to come and is a personal favorite. As a contrast Dave then slows things down with the tranquil 'The Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed With A Kiss' that halfway through twists into a mid pace ballad and ends with the same melodic opening.

My favorite track on the album 'Head Crusher' erupts with a barrage of soloing and Thrashy riffs. I think I enjoyed the simplicity of the lyrics that took a back seat to the roaring fast paced Thrash riffs. Towards the end of the track comes a classic head bang riff with some nice gritty leads and the track closes just as fast paced as it opened with one of the fastest solos on the album. 'How The Story Ends' is straight forward Megadeth and yet like the previous track has some head bang worthy riffing toward the end and as with most of the album has some excellent soloing.

The album finishes with 'The Right to Go Insane' which starts out as a rather bland and ordinary Megadeth track ends with nearly two minutes of soloing and intense riffing. After all is said and done I wasn't in complete awe, nor can I honestly call this Megadeth's masterpiece however I can say this is a quality album from a musician who still sticks to the roots of the genre and most if not all Megadeth Fans will enjoy this most especialy if you are a fan of the solos as nearly every song has at least one.

A great album and sure to be on all the Best Of 2009 lists is a must for Metal fans and especially Deth Heads like myself. I hope you enjoyed the review and that it encourages you to look into Endgame and ultimately purchase the album. If so please click 'Yes' below and support a supporter of the Metal Community. Thanks for reading.

-A Loyal Megadeth Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, September 15, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
I will start by simply stating the fact that no matter what you are doing, if you play this CD you will immediately start head-banging uncontrollably.
So I write this to give fair warning. For example:

[situation]... > ... [Result]
Running on a treadmill... Headbanging
Unconscious in the street... Headbanging
Making love to your wife... Headbanging
Riding the bus... Headbanging, possibly against the seat in front of you.

The reason Dave is pictured making that snarling face on the back of the album is because he was listening to it when the pic was taken and it's physically impossible not to make that face for the CD's entire duration. (again if you sneak earphones to class and then listen to ENDGAME you will inadvertently make that face towards your teacher and she will probably call security). Trust me if you happen to come across a mirror while listening to this album, you will notice you are making the exact same face.

Good luck, because Endgame is so good you will probably run into these situations despite my warnings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Moley!, September 15, 2009
Welcome back Dave.

If you are a Megadeth fan, and you ever trusted a review, trust this one. This is the heaviest and most p***-off album in Dave's career.

If this is what a mid-life crisis does for your testosterone level, then I'm looking foreward to mine. It starts out with a short, instrumental rave-up, guitar leads flying at top speed, and then charges straight into "This day we fight". A Fast to mid-tempo smoker. "Bite the hand" track 5 is absolutely vicious, as is "Headcrusher", a kind-of a sequel to "Skin of my Teeth". This album does something that neither Megadeth, or too many others have been able to accomplish lately, every song has a nasty bite to it, but the songwriting is there.

It sounds exectly like vintage thrash Megadeth, only heavier, via beefed-up modern production. It's funny, but I never really thought of Megadeth as a thrash band. Their music was never really that fast, no "polka beats" as it were, and stylistically closer to Iron Maiden than Slayer, which was ok by me, but on Endgame, to me, they really sound like a thrash band...and one that will take some time to catch. If this is a trend for the band, getting heavier with age, I can't wait until he's 60. Oh heck, nevermind, that would make me....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, September 15, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
To be concise, this album is good because:

- Great production
- Extreme technically - fast shredding guitars, elite technical guitar playing, lots of solos, varying tempo changes
- Varied song structures keep the songs interesting
- Good melodies
- Dave is angry, his subject matter is ok at worst and great at best
- Bodies is a great throwback to megadeth's old material
- A quality drummer (i dont need to make the comparison)
- Plenty of songs that will blow you away live

5.0 out of 5 stars He finally did it!!, September 19, 2009
Pvt. Pyle (Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
I'm embarrassed to admit that I was completely unaware of this album until literally the day it came out. I'm not worthy, Dave!! Though I supposed I at least managed to spare myself the months of agonizing anticipation. Anyway, let's get to it. Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, Mustaine has been moving the band in this direction since The World Needs a Hero back in 2001, and he certainly wasn't following Metallica's lead in releasing this album (though the comparisons between the Black Album and Countdown are right on the money). United Abominations was promised to be a complete return to form after not quite getting there with Hero and The System Has Failed. While there's a lot to like on UA, there are also a lot of very average tracks and some that, while containing great moments, completely lack any kind of structure or direction (You're Dead and Burnt Ice come to mind).

So 2 1/2 after being somewhat disappointed by Abominations, I found myself trying to find the release date for Slayer's next album, only to discover that (GASP!!) Megadeth was releasing a new album that very day!!! And the reviews were stellar!! During my two hour commute home from work, I had plenty of time to wonder if Megadeth would finally deliver. Within the first 30 seconds of Dialectic Chaos, I knew that this album was a whole other animal than anything that had been released after Rust In Peace. By the end of 1320, I had a big smile that didn't leave my face for two days. This is the album that Dave Mustaine has been trying to make for nearly a decade now. There are songs that shred like it's 1985 (This Day We Fight!!, 1320, Endgame, Head Crusher), there are mid-tempo rockers that top anything they did in that vein during the 90s (44 Minutes Bodies, How the Story Ends), there's even a track that wouldn't feel too out of place on Youthanasia (The Hardest Part of Letting Go), the band's best non-thrash record, in my opinion. Is it perfect? No, I'm not too big on Bite the Hand and I'm still not sure what I think of Right to go Insane, but there's no such thing as a flawless Megadeth record.

The band may be little more than Dave and his revolving door of hired guns these days, but if there's one thing that can be counted on, it's that he'll give it 110%. This time, he nailed it. Rejoice and rattle your god damn head!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Bower's an idiot!!!!, October 2, 2009
METALFAN (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
This idiot gives and awesome cd one star because he has it in for Dave Mustaine. What an assclown. Amazon should delete his review. I don't like the reviews that rip on Metallica either, because I enjoy listening to both bands. Both bands have had their ups and downs. But at least both are back to true form. Besides it is tasteless to put down someone elses creativity and artistic views. Cheers Megadeth- Thanks for another fantastic release!!

METALFAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Solid!!, September 26, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
I have been a Megadeth fan from the start. For me ENDGAME is the best Megadeth since Countdown to Extinction! Superb song writing, superb guitar work, and superb lineup! If you thought Megadeth would never reach the musicianship they had with Marty, Nick and Jr. you better take a listen to ENDGAME. This is a refreshing new slab of good ol' Megadeth!! Often times you buy a CD and you get 2 or 3 good songs and the rest are filler. Not here, every track on ENDGAME is solid gold! If your question is whether ENDGAME is worth buying or not, the answer is WORTH EVERY PENNY!! ENDGAME will go down in history as one of Megadeth's definitive albums along side RIP and CTE!

5.0 out of 5 stars I just don't get it?, September 18, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
That's right, I don't understand why Metallica are considered God's and Megadeth are considered good. I mean, you tell me, which band has continually put out quality material over the years, especially the past 20? It's not the God's, I can tell you that. Megadeth or shall I say Dave, has always stayed true to his roots and has been able to hit more than miss during the last 20 years. Infact, I'd say 95% of the time he has indeed given us a quality product just like a Callahan oil filter (Tommy Boy refrence for those who have no ideas what the hell I'm talking about). This latest release is once again, light years ahead of anything Metallica has put out (althought Death Magnetic was a step in the right direction) over the last two decades.

This release harkens back to the early days of the band. It melodic and thrashy as hell, yet groovy and soulful. The darn thing flat out rocks from start to finish. They say it's hard to go back and I can relate to that, however Megadeth have done just that. It's old school speed metal and it kicks serious butt all the way through. If you love Megadeth like I do?, you'll love this cd. Dave proves once again, that he was Metallica!

Buy it!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting better, December 26, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
I love Megadeth, but they've been a band that has rarely lived up to what they could be, in my opinion. Rust in Peace, Countdown, and YOuthenasia are my personal favorites of mine. I"ve always thought they had a great sound, except for Cryptic Writtings, and Risk, but very few of their albums grabbed me. That's not to say they didn't have their good songs. Even Risk had one or two songs I liked, but most of their albums as a whole just didnt' do it for me.

Musically this might be Dave's best album. There's decent variety in tempo changes. The sound is great. Probably my favorite sound of a Megadeth album. The vocals are good, but unfortunately the songs just don't grab me. They're ok. There's not a bad song, although Headcrusher comes close. Thankfully, unlike hero and UA, we get no more remakes of past Megadeth songs. Those should be reserved for b-sides.

This Day We Fight - 7/10 - Very fast song. Great music, guitars drums, everything. The only thing keeping this one from being a stand out, for me, is the lack of a hook. Still the music more than makes this song a good one to listen to.

44 Minutes - 9/10 - Very Countdown. Somewhat mid-tempo song. Great chorus. Great bass line.

1,320' - 6/10 - Faster than the last song. Good riffs, but the song lacks something. Great bridge, and solo.

Bite The Hand - 5/10 - Faster song. The vocals are pretty good on this one, and there's more of an attempt at adding a hook to the chorus. The only thing that bugs me are the lyrics. Dave has done much better, in fact lyrically htis is one of his weakest songs. "When it's dog eat dog you are what you eat"? Seriously? I could write better lyrics than that. Still the music is good.

Bodies - 7/10 - Mid-tempo song. It's ok, but it sounds too much like 44 Minutes. It does speed up a bit, into a good solo at the end.

Endgame - 8/10 - The intro reminds me of a bad sci fi movie. The song starts out slow, but heavy, and gradually picks up speed. It ends up being a pretty fast song after the first chorus. I like the chorus, especially when the song picks up speed. For me this song could've been a brutally fast song straight through, and I would've been happy. Actually I'd have given it a perfect 10 if it had been.

The Hardest Part of Letting Go. - 7/10 - Acoustic intro, with strings in the background. Very atmospheric, and the most experamental song on the album. The song picks up speed midway through, and I love the strings in the background during the heavier part of this song.

Headcrusher - 4/10 - Every point I give this song is based on the music. Very fast paced song. I love the drums, and love the guitars. The vocals are only ok, and the chorus is awful. Still I'll listen to it.

How The Story Ends - 8/10 - This one's an up-tempo song, slow in comparison to some others, but fast enough. Great chorus, although it lacks the great riffs the rest of the songs on here have. Still I like it. I like the acoustic bit in the bridge. The solo's good too.

The Right To Go Insane - 8/10 - Slower paced than most of the album, solid riffs in the verses. Dave's vocals are as are very fitting for the lyrics in this song. Solid chorus. This is a fine closing song for the album.

Still this is another gradual step in the right direction for Dave and co. It's a decent album, just could've been better with a hook or two throun in there. I can't wait for the next album, and if you're a Megadeth fan definately check this one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Megadeth Perfection, September 27, 2009
This review is from: Endgame (Audio CD)
I've been wondering when Megadeth would make an album that not only returns to form, but can match and maybe even "conquer" the album rust in peace all throughout in every musical element...
Q: Does it conquer rust in peace?
A: You do not need to have an open mind to like the album at all, it's amazing on it's own. However, if you really enjoy analyzing the album, like myself, you will find that lyrically, vocally, guitar, drum, and bass wise it's pretty damn intricate, melodic, thrashy, technical,intelligent, sarcastic for a good reason, empowering, and most of all, the album is very MEGADETH. I FEEL that this album is the best representation of Megadeth's work, which is a concept that's hard to swallow for most fans. Why do i say this? it has a moving ballad, fast great songs, slow great songs, groovy, rhythmic, and even sometimes jazzy for those of us with an internal musical dork inside of us.
WHY I LOVE THIS ALBUM:
This album had elements of heavy in tone and production like "Youthanasia", The song-writing skill of "Countdown to Extinction", With riffs and intensity (tempo and rhythm) of albums like the first four(KIMB...ABIG, PSBWB, SFSGSW, AND RIP).
But when you hear it, isn't there something extra from the last album?
When most guitar players and drummers hear this album, they will realize "Hey! Shawn Drover's drum parts sound even better tonally, and they accent the stringed instruments near perfection!". Another observation might be "Wow, Mustaine has really improved not only in lead guitar phrasing, but also in guitar-playing technique and vocal technique!" And I'd have to say these are all definite improvements from the last 4 albums, but what really makes it stand out for me, as a guitar player and musician, would have to be the fine work of ex- Jag Panzer and ex- Nevermore guitar virtuoso "Chris Broderick" who has left me dumbfounded on this one. His playing may be technical at times, but it is always MORE THAN FITTING to the feel of the song.

I.E.- In the closing track on the album, "The Right To Go Insane", Chris Broderick plays a guitar solo that is not only enjoyable to listen to, but it actually captures the upset, angry, and empowering lyrics Mustaine has written about "workin' yer ass off" to still only have "nothing left to lose (or choose)". So insanity is inevitable, and the guitar solo following this lyric is perfectly showcasing this maniacal state of mind.

Lyrically, the album uses many literary elements like similes, metaphors, symbolism... and HOW these lines are read and performed are great as well (dynamics), because of Mustaine's humor, anger, sarcasm, and everything that makes Dave "Dave".

On the Bass guitar we have a ninja named James Lomenzo. He holds down the low-end very well on this album and does exactly what every rhythmic bassist should do: play the foundation of the song with the drummer; And well at that.

My criticisms of the album would have to be that i wish there were more tracks on it... The production is amazing too... (something i feel Metallica could learn much about from Megadeth) Kudos to Mr. Andy Sneap and EVERYONE involved in production, including Dave.

If you like the track head crusher on the album (the album's first single released in the U.S.), check out the music video on [...] or search on [...] for it. It's got a nice twist with many curves...

In closing, THIS ALBUM RULES!

Endgame
Endgame by Megadeth (Audio CD - 2009)