Name 5 Game
Price:$23.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 19, 2010
My family, with kids ages 4-11, plus my parents, and I all enjoy playing Name 5! The mix of objective and subjective questions are fun and my kids love to think of creative answers to questions like "Name 5 reasons a person might fall down" and "Name 5 purple foods"! You don't have to be a trivia genius or creative genius to play - the game works for all levels of education and ability! They like playing in teams and being able to shout out answers rather than taking turns one at a time. The varied play based on the different spaces keeps the excitement going. We have the most fun with the flip flop spaces seeing how many ideas we can come up with for the same challenge. Policing ourselves is part of the fun. The most intense time is always at the end, to see which team can successfully complete a full card in 90 seconds to win! This game has become a favorite for Family Game Night and I encourage you to all give it a try. The rules are easy to understand too, and my kids mastered them quickly. When they play without the adults, they just skip the challenges that are too hard. Even though it says ages 12 and up, it's great to play all together because everyone can contribute. A definite must have for game night, whether with adults or mixed ages. Endless Games has created a winner here!
on November 23, 2010
Do yourself a favor - put this game on your Christmas List NOW!

I have played this game with my family and friends and it always is so much fun! This is a game where people of all ages can participate and be engaged. Name 5 will be a staple at your family game nights, trust me! Sometimes I will even pack some cards to bring out at family dinners of while walking somewhere with friends.

During one of our recent games of Name 5, the question was 'Name 5 musicians whose names start with the letter B'. Grandma says Bing Crosby, Mom says Bruce Springsteen, I add Beyonce, and our team (made up of 3 generations and spanning over 70 years of music) is more than halfway to our five answers.

If you want a game that is enjoyable and memorable for people of all ages, this is your game! Endless Games really got it right with this game and I look forward to many more rounds of Name 5 at family game nights!

Awesome job, Endless Games!
on August 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
I belong to a board game group that often has new people drop in, and we needed a good icebreaker game to play before we split up into individual games. We've tried several options, and right now Name 5 is the icebreaker game of choice. The rules are a little complicated, and honestly we just want to play something simple and get started (we play complicated boardgames after we eat) - so we ditched the rules and just play a streamlined version.

The game is like this: a smallish board with colored squares (some of the squares have multiple colors), several colored pieces, a 30-second hourglass, a die, and a number of cards. Each card has multiple questions, color-coded, so if you are on green you answer one question and if on red you answer a different question. There are some squares with special rules.

The questions vary from very easy/simple to really hard, although sometimes that has to do with who is playing and their knowledge. One of the harder ones I remember is "name 5 women's names with 7 letters" - hard to do in 30 seconds, and yet one lady totally pulled it off! Easier ones are things like "things you procrastinate on doing".

Streamlined (rules out the window) version rules, in case you wanted to try it: Divide the table into 2 teams, answer the question on the square your piece is on before the timer runs out, if you answer correctly you roll the die and move forward, the other team does the same. We ignore the flipflops and on multi-colored squares we just choose any color we want. People get unofficial style points if you say something funny or unexpected.

Even more streamlined (car-friendly) option: don't even use the board or pieces, and just use the cards. Give yourselves 1 point each time your team answers the question right.

So in summary, this is a 4-star board game. It's versatile and gets people interacting, and is a good icebreaker. It's good for kids (probably better around the 7 or 8 age or so) and adults alike.
on November 22, 2010
Played Name 5 at a recent family function this past weekend. We went off the grid and picked pairs (adults and kids ages 3+) and just did random cards. The kids were pretty damn good at it. Yours truly and my 7 year old won, so it was a great night. Well done, sirs!!!!

Player 02
Verified Purchase
Name 5 is a fun game. So I'll start by naming 5 things I like about it.

1) It's a great idea. I love brainstorming little lists of things.
2) Many of the card ideas are fun, like name 5 "gifts for a man," or "first names that can be male or female."
3) It has 288 cards with 1,400 answers. That's a lot.
4) The cards are easy to read.
5) The content is rated PG. No surprises.

That said, here are 5 things I don't like about this game.

1) I've always questioned the format of 5 answers on one card. Once you've gone through the 288 cards, there are still answers you haven't played, but now you're increasing the chances for repeats. It's a cheap way to manufacture 1,400 answers vs. putting them all on separate cards.

2) The game board is unnecessary, and it's visually confusing. An unnecessary game board is a big pet peeve of mine. The board in a board game rarely, if ever, adds to the actual game play and fun. What it does do is create paper and plastic products (pawns, die, etc.), that are manufactured in China and shipped to the U.S. and then sold to you as the consumer at an increased price.

3) The instructions are overly complex. This is a simple game: take a card and name 5 of the things the card tells you. If there were no board, there would be no need for these complex rules. See number 2 above.

4) There is a subjectivity problem. This is an even bigger pet peave than unnecessary game boards. I firmly believe party games should not allow answers that are subjective. The rules themselves try to address this flaw. They say if you're asked to name 5 orange foods, but only some of your answers fall into that category, but others are food that have orange in them, as long as you can explain this within the 30-second time limit, you're fine. I'm sorry, but I can easily picture this kind of game mechanics leading to a brawl with some groups.

5) It's a copycat of the 5 Second Rule game, or vice-versa.Patch 5 Second Rule Just Spit It Out

In all, I do like this game, and I would recommend it for Family Game Night.
on December 7, 2010
Verified Purchase
Great game! I love board games and wanted a new one, and this was a great pick! Its so much fun trying to name five boy bands, five tv dads, etc. The game suggests that you play with 2 teams of two or three, but we've been playing with three people, each as single players, so we've made some adjustments to the game based on that. To ultimately win the game, you have to name five examples for each of the five categories on the card. This is often really difficult for one person to do alone, so we recommend if you're playing with single players instead of teams, that you limit this to 3 or 4 instead of 5. One thing that is a negative is that the categories are sometimes a little subjective, so that can lead to arguements as to whether or not an answer truly fits the category or not, but overall, a great game that both me and my brothers constantly want to play.
on December 26, 2010
I really wanted to like this game, but the rules and game play simply need more revision for it to be fun. I played this game on Christmas day with my family in two teams of three. I think that it was just not a game for a 10-50 y/o group of gamers. The questions for the most part were way too easy. The older players could probably complete 2-3 categories per card consistently under the 30 second time limit, but then again I found the sand timer to be less than exact. The rules for flip-flop spaces were shaky at best. Teams are meant to alternate answers with no time limit until one team can not think of an answer. We were unsure how to settle disputes over whether an answer was acceptable or not,(e.g. category: dangerous jobs= zoo worker when animal handler was named already.) and eventually we used the timer and turned it into a hot-potato style match. No guidance was available in the rules for situations like this. I would possibly recommend this game for a younger group as it would help with quick thinking and creativity. There is a bit of a runaway leader problem that is only abated by all-play or the dreaded flip-flop spaces as opportunities to steal the dice. I can't help but compare this game to Scattergories or even classic Pictionary (which also have junior editions) and IMHO are all around better games with clearer rules.
on January 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
I WISH you could return opened items. This was the worst waste of money. The concept sounds fun. I ordered it and it is awful. I am so mad at myself for getting this and there's no way to get all my money back. I hate to even get someone to buy it from me cause then I'm just contributing to them buying an awful game and wasting money.
First off, there are no answers to the cards. So you are on your own whether you know the category or not. If the other players or teams answer you're just going to have to trust whatever they say is correct. You have to "police yourself" the instructions say. Not fun. Then there are some spaces where you go back and forth until someone runs out of things to name. With some of these categories you could go on all night. You'd never run out because they are sooo broad.
Then there is a space where everyone has 30 seconds to shout out 5 things in their own categories and see who can do it first. Now, you tell me how you can think of 5 things as fast as you can and shout them out at the SAME TIME you are listening to the other players shout out 5 things from another category and make sure they aren't cheating and are naming correct items? You can't. Again you have to just name your things and trust they are doing theirs right.
It's just not any fun. Good concept but very poorly planned and executed. It's a waste of money and a waste of time. Find a used version from the other people who hate it and test it before you buy it. The only game I have absolutely kicked myself everyday for purchasing. Don't do it@
on March 6, 2011
This is, hands down, the worst game I have ever played for several reasons that all share a central theme of poorly laid out rules. I will share the 2 most glaring flaws from my experience w/ this gem of a game.

#1 A large portion of the categories are so subjective as to make them unplayable. For example, one of the categories in the game is, "Vacation Destinations." Who is to say that literally anything I say is not a valid answer? I could just name any destination on the planet. Who is to say I DON'T want to vacation in Darfur or at my ex-girlfriend's house? This is just one example, there are literally hundreds of categories where anything you say could be construed as a valid answer. The rules are ambiguous and fall back on self-policing as a substitute for a well thought out set of guidelines. The lack of a set of coherent rules leads to an endless debate about the validity of the players' answers that becomes incredibly boring to watch and incredibly frustrating to participate in.

#2 The arguments over what is and what is not a valid answer aside, an average round of this game takes about 10 minutes to play through. So unless you feel like going through the aggravation of playing more than once, you're not getting much bang for your buck. HOWEVER, it is worth noting that portions of this game can run on ad infinitum; one of the poorly engineered "challenges" in this game is to square off against another team to name as many items w/in the category chosen, obviously the one who runs out of ideas loses the challenge. Sounds like a decent idea, BUT instead of placing a time limit and perhaps writing down as many ideas as you can think of, like w/ Scattergories, this game has you go back-and-forth in a turn-taking verbal manner. The category we squared off w/ was "Foods That Begin With A." My god, the list went on and on for 10 minutes before everyone got bored and just called that round a tie. These challenges will not appear in every game; if you have the bad luck of stumbling into this challenge during your game, I advise you to get out a book or go make a sandwich while the teams face-off.

My advice to those considering this game is to buy Taboo or Scattergories instead. These two games are in the same genre and are time-tested winners w/ a clear set of rules. This game needs to be re-engineered with some attention paid to making the categories more thought-provoking and objective. I would recommend this game for parents with 5 year olds that just want to let their kids mess around and yell out random things for 10 minutes.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a fun game for a party/group - you can split into boys versus girls.
I just wish there were answers on the back of the cards... I know there are many possible answers to each question, but I think it would be great to list some on the rear.