5.0 out of 5 stars Never buy disposable batteries again
Published on December 11, 2012 by Annie Neidert

3.0 out of 5 stars Black sheep of the Eneloop family
Published on January 7, 2013 by NLee the Engineer

3.0 out of 5 stars Black sheep of the Eneloop family, January 7, 2013
This review is from: SANYO Eneloop 4-Position Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Charger White (Electronics)
I'm a big fan of Sanyo eneloop low-self-discharge NiMH batteries, starting from the original Sanyo eneloop back in beginning of 2007. Over the past six years, I have accumulated several dozens of eneloop AA and AAA cells, together with three of this SANYO Eneloop 4-Position Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Charger (MQN06) in the process. But that's only because Sanyo prefer to bundle this mediocre charger with various eneloop packages.

Here's what I don't like about this MQN06 charger:

- It charges in pairs only. This is very inconvenient for appliances that take odd number of cells. If you try to charge an exhausted cell together with a half-full cell, the charging process stops as soon as the second cell is full, which means the first cell is still half-empty.

- The charging current is very low: 300mA for AA cells, 150mA for AAA cells. That means it take about 7 hours to recharge a pair of exhausted eneloop AA cells.

- If you leave a pair of charged cells in an unplugged MQN06, there is a leakage current of 0.5mA. This means a loss of 12mAh per day. In other words, a set of 2000mAh cells will become exhausted in about 5 months. That wipes out the 'low-self-discharge' benefit of eneloop cells.

It is not that Sanyo don't know how to make a better charger. For example, the MDR02 is a 2-cell charger that monitors each cell individually. It charges at a higher current (550mA for AA, 380mA for AAA), and it only leaks about 0.03mA of current when unplugged. Sanyo also makes a very good 4-cell MQRO6 quick charger, but it is priced much higher.

To be fair, the MQN06 is still better than some really dumb chargers such as the Energizer Value Charger. However, as of this writing, the price of this MQN06 charger just does not justify its value. For similar cost, you can get the Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HLD2RN Power Charger. The BCG-34HLD is a better charger because it charges each cell individually, and its charging current is higher at 360mA. The Sony package also comes with two low-capacity (1000mAh) Pre-Charged AA cells, which can be considered as freebies. By the way, it is perfectly fine to use this Sony charger to recharge Sanyo eneloop or any other brands of NiMH batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never buy disposable batteries again, December 11, 2012
I have a collection of these Eneloop batteries. At first my husband laughed at me. When my camera lasted longer than his did then he stopped. We both were using 3 AA batteries, but I was using Eneloop and he was using some Duracell made for digital kind. Hahahaha. Then I could take mine home and recharge them and use them again while he tossed his in the recycling. If you have kids with toys that use batteries, these are great. They hold their charge for a LOOONG time so they are also pretty great for flashlights. I think we get the most bang for our buck out of remote controls for the TV and the Wii. Love these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best rechargable batteries and charger on the market!, April 20, 2013
We used several Energizer brand chargers and batteries before purchasing this one. I'll never buy anything but Eneloop ever again! The batteries hold their charge twice as long and they come fully charged. The charger does not heat up like the Energizer did and is fairly lightweight. With all the electronic devices in our lives, we need good rechargeable batteries and these just cannot be beat. Even after a year of recharging, the batteries still hold a charge like they were new. They last much longer in cameras and game controllers than any of the other rechargeable batteries we've used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent charger but no indicator of charge level, September 5, 2013
9.5.13. I have been using this charger for several months now and find the it is excellent in charging the AA and AAA Eneloop batteries. I also use a La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000, by La Crosse Technology that is much superior. The SANYO has no indicator of charge level, but testing the batteries with the La Crosse after the SANYO charges them shows they are fully charged; so it work well. For a secondary charger in addition to the La Crosse, I recommend the SANYO. However, if you only want one charger then get the La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain, October 4, 2013
THE PROS:
The battery slots accommodate either AA or AAA batteries, and can be used to charge both kinds at once as long as they're charged in pairs.
The lights on the bottom blink when charging and just glow when charged.
It only takes a couple hours to complete a charge.
It's easy to get batteries in and out, so no wrestling with a stuck AAAs.

THE "YOU SHOULD KNOW"S:
The outlet prongs fold flat into the back to make storage easier...

THE CONS:
...but they can make plugging it into the wall challenging, if you're have limited access or are working from the wrong angle.
It's not cheap.

THE END RESULTS:
Other wall chargers heat up, don't charge fully, only work with one size of battery, or are otherwise all-around annoying. This one actually works. If you use a lot of rechargable batteries and are tired of the fuss, this is your charger. If you hardly every recharge your batteries, probably best skip it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, September 24, 2013
It seems to work well. Triple A batteries occasionally fall out of it, but it charges them well enough. Would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job well..., August 27, 2013
Fair price. Quick shipping. Works well. No complaints. The Eneloop batteries seem to hold up for a long time -- I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the charger, but the charger isn't diminishing anything . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, August 17, 2013
I purchased this charger/batteries based on a recommendation from a local Outdoor Supply retailer. I bought the set for my Garmon GPS and they haven't let me down. I have had the charger and the batteries for over a month now and both have performed well. I used my GPS for approx. 15 hours before I felt that I needed to charge the batteries to be on the safe side. It does seem to take some time to charge the batteries however as long as they have stayed charged the wait is worth it. I plan on purchasing more of these chargers/batteries for everything I have that requires batteries. My only 2 complaints about this brand charger would be that I can't go to a local store and buy them. It didn't take long for them to ship however having the option to pick them up at a local store would be nice. The second would be I wish it had a cord. The unit plugs right into the wall and having a cord would be nice so you could plug it in and set the charger on a table or counter

4.0 out of 5 stars best recharger setup, July 17, 2013
Kapitalist (Claremont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
buy the AAA and AA and youre set with this charging setup. I've had one for over a year and recently bought a second one for more rechargeable batteries!

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Money in Batteries, July 5, 2013
This little item is awesome! We have seriously cut down our costs in buying AA batteries! Will continue to use this, and would highly recommend! And, the price is right!