Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

I first started using the original Sanyo eneloop low-self-discharge batteries way back in early 2007. Later I also used the Second-gen eneloop batteries around 2010. Now, this product featured here ("NEW Sanyo Eneloop 3rd generation 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries") claims to be the latest addition to the eneloop family, with an advertised lifespan of '1800 cycles'.

I have tested a set of those 3rd-gen eneloop AA cells, using my La Crosse BC1000 battery charger/analyzer. Here are my findings:

- Date code on each cell says '12 - 08', which means August 2012
- Right out the package, the open-terminal voltage of each cell is 1.32V
- The average remaining charge is measured to be 1490mAh, or 75% of the rated '2000mAh' capacity. The spread (max - min) is only 13mAh.
- After the first recharge, the average capacity jumps to 2060mAh
- After two more recharge/discharge cycles, the average capacity increased slightly to 2083mAh. The spread is still very tight (min=2060, max=2110).

The above behavior is nearly identical to my past test results for 1st- and 2nd-gen eneloop cells. Therefore I'm confident that those are indeed genuine Sanyo eneloop batteries. But how do I know whether I'm getting 2nd- or 3rd-gen eneloop cells? The only way to tell is from their part numbers: 2nd gen eneloop AA cell is marked 'HR-3UTGA', while 3rd gen is marked 'HR-3UTGB'. (See the image I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section for a comparison between three generations of eneloop cells)

One remaining question: is it worthwhile to get those 3rd-gen eneloop batteries over 2nd-gen?

- Lifespan:
According to Panasonic (who bought Sanyo in 2009), the main improvement of 3rd-gen eneloop is its longer lifespan of 1800 cycles verses 'only' 1500 cycles for 2nd-gen. But keep in mind that even if you recharge your batteries twice per week, it will take nearly 15 years for you to use up 1500 cycles.

- Self-Discharge Rate:
Panasonic claims 3rd-gen eneloop can retend 85% of charge after two years in storage. In contrast, 2nd-gen eneloop is rated for 85% after one year, 80% after two. I have previously tested a set of 2nd-gen eneloop AA cells after two years in storage. They retained 1685mAh, or 84% of rated capacity. This suggests there is negligible difference between them.

My recommendation:
If you already own a lot of 2nd-gen or even 1st-gen eneloop batteries, there is no rush to replace them with 3rd-gen version. On the other hand, if you are looking to add more rechargeable batteries to your collection, then it certainly helps to feel that you are getting the latest and greatest eneloop product - even though in practice you can't see the difference.

Side Notes:
- The batteries are made in Japan. The package is printed in English and German - obviously intended for Europe.
- The 'Free' battery holder is functional but nothing to get excited about it. My one even has the label 'TENERGY' printed on it.
review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2012
*** GENERATIONS ***
It's unfortunate that Amazon is currently wiring up old reviews to new generations of Eneloops. As a result, you see people debating an old issue (counterfeits), or telling you that "no THIS is the newest version" when in fact it isn't! It's important to sort out the generations first:
- 1st gen (ca. 2007): The original white Eneloop; rechargeable 1000 times.
- 2nd gen: (2010 ?): Improved version with better self- discharge rates; rechargeable 1500 times.
- 3rd gen (2012): More improved version; rechargeable 1800 times.

As you can see, the most prominent characteristic is the number of cycles that the battery can go through. How realistic that actually is I cannot tell, but that's what is advertised on the package. The battery itself is marked as "HR-3UTGB 1.2V Min 1900 mAh" and looks otherwise indistinguishable from the old ones I have.

*** THIRD GEN ***
So what is different? Best (in my opinion) first:
- The even more improved charge retention rate, claiming 90% capacity after one year, and 70% after five years.
- The fact that these batteries are now suitable to work in conditions down to -20 C (-4 F). This is getting into lithium battery territory and might be interesting for use in personal weather stations, leaving a flashlight in your car in the winter, etc.
- The improved cycle duty time is welcome, but probably not of great concern to most users, given that even 1500 cycles of thrice-weekly charging will translate into a decade.

Made in Japan.

*** MEASUREMENTS **
My cells came preloaded with on average 1450 mAh, which was a bit of a suprise given that they were manufactured (and charged with solar energy) only a couple months earlier. After one cycle, they all loaded up with between 1900 and 2000 mAh though.
review image
on December 4, 2013
Well, add my name to the list of people who received 2nd generation batteries instead of the 3rd generation batteries advertised!

I'm not sure who is pulling the bait and switch because the packaging lists all the specs for the 3rd generation batteries, but the batteries are HR-3UTGA instead of HR-3UTGB.

I also didn't receive the free battery holder...

I hate to give these batteries a single star because I absolutely love Sanyo Eneloops, but I'm giving a single star because this is a misrepresentation of the product. I specifically bought these over the ones that were advertised as 2nd generation because they were advertised as 3rd generation.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2013
I ordered two packs of these 3rd Gen Eneloop batteries. At the time, the seller was "SHARP GEAR" and fulfilled by Amazon. They arrived and the packages were open and the batteries were scattered all over inside the Amazon shipping box. I knew right then I'd been had. The packages are for 3rd Gen 1800x recharge batteries. They even have a 3rd Gen barcode sticker on the package as well. The code printed on the batteries is the old code (HR-3UTGA). The 3rd Gen code should be (HR-3UTGB).

Sharp Gear is ripping us all off. I hope Amazon does something about this seller.
Amazon refunded my purchase and I will try ordering these again from MYBATTERYSUPPLIER.
At least there are people defending that seller in the comments. I will update later.

***UPDATE***
I placed a new order from MYBATTERYSUPPLIER and I received exactly what the product description states.
3rd generation eneloop batteries (code printed on batteries HR-3UTGB), with battery holder!

Make sure to check the seller! MYBATTERYSUPPLIER is top notch!
on July 12, 2013
Eneloop batteries have been around for several years and have gone though come changes. The most recent change in Sanyo was acquired by Panasonic a couple years back. Since Eneloops have gaind such a good reputation, Panasonic continued the Sanyo name for this product. Eneloops have been improved over the years and earlier versions can be found and be identified relatively easily. In general the changes involve the longevity of the battery, that is to say the number of times they can cycled. The first generation was warranted to around 1000 charge/discharge cycles and can be id'd through the product number: HR3UTG; the second generation has 1500 cycles with a product id: HR3UTGA; the third generation and the current release has a 1800 cycles and a product id: HR3UTGB. AAA's are similarly designated. The product id is printed on the battery. Other than that they are still great batteries. I still see first and second generation batteries offered, new in the package. These differences ought not dissuade one, they are still good batteries. My caveat is the purchaser ought to consider buying Eneloops sealed in the pack, not loose batteries. The batteries offered here are third generation batteries and I have no hesitation recommending them.
on December 22, 2012
Just in case anyone is wondering about the generation of these, they are the new ones that can be recharged 1800 times. In regards to the amount of recharges, I wasn't concerned whether these were the 2nd gen 1500's or the 1800's but I wanted the new 1800's for their improved performance in cold temperatures. I have some outdoor weather instruments and wanted these new 1800's for their ability to perform better in the wintertime here in New England.

The package of these is blue and white in color and "recharge up to 1800 times" is written on the pack in the upper left hand side. Amazon also did include the free battery holders too. The date code on the back of the package is 2012 06, and the product code on the back is HR-3UTGB-4BP (a package of 4 batteries).

Can't give any additional performance details yet as all 16 of them are going in the process of getting charged with the Eneloop charger. Nice charger by the way...

Hope this helps..
review image review image
on March 18, 2014
I wish I could post photos on this.
1) The batteries showed up with the package torn open and in very rough shape with the batteries rolling around in the box.
2) The packaging was CUT in half and it wasn't the new packaging for the 3rd generation cells.
3) There was a sticker placed on the back with some sort of bar code that clearly states "NEW Sanyo Eneloop 3rd gen...-Rechargeable 1800 times New"
4) When I check my order online to see what the description was I realized it didn't come with a free case as advertised. No big deal because I didn't even know it came with it. My point is it says it comes with it and it doesn't.
5) I started searching online because I was wondering how I would be able to tell if these were even 3rd generation. I found this...straight from the company website:

"All original SANYO battery packages containing the improved eneloop have the information "Up to 1800 times" on the front. Also you can differentiate the two generations by checking the model name which is written on each eneloop. The "old" cells have written HR-3UTGA (AA) and HR-4UTGA (AAA) on them, the improved eneloop instead HR-3UTGB (AA) and HR-4UTGB (AAA). Also the crown symbol on the batteries itself is different: The new crown symbol has an additional line. "

SO...I pulled out my trusty magnifying glass and low and behold, printed on the battery is "HR-3UTGA" which are the "old" cells according to the website. When I buy "Amazon Prime" I trust the products are as stated but I guess they just have way too many products and can't go through and check every single item in their warehouse. I will not be buying anything else from Performance Outdoor Gear because I think that's pretty shady to say the least.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2013
Well, it's not the Energizer battery, but if you asked the bunny, I'm sure it would do some tricks you've never seen on TV with these.

Life is great with the increased mAh, and the recharge cycles are fairly quick also with the Sanyo charger. Holds charges amazingly well also (never noted the difference--and I use these a lot for my Nikon speedlights). Forget those disposable AA batteries. Get these and a charger and stop contributing to the pollution! You'll love yourself oh-so-much-more when using these.

Used to use other batteries. Switched to about 60 of these (that's right! I have lots of PocketWizards and speedlights, and battery packs!) for my DSLR shooting. Super-reliable and never failed me once.

Buy these!

Do it! Do it! Do it!
on December 24, 2013
Just arrived. No battery holder, more importantly the 8 pack arrived in a 16 package cut in half. Upon further inspection, the clear packaging WAS OPENED and the 3rd generation batteries have been REPLACED with 2nd generation batteries. This is fraud and will be reported to Amazon. Very sad as this was to power Christmas gifts.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2013
Be aware of the seller, you may not get Gen3 Eneloops (HR-3UTGB).

I purchased this item from "Sharp Gear" thinking I'd be getting the 3rd Gen Eneloops (HR-3UTGB), instead, I received Gen 2 Eneloops (HR-3UTGA). It may not be Sharp Gear's fault necessarily; the package was marked with 1800x recharge cycles and 70% charge retention after 5 years, yet, upon opening the seemingly Gen 3 package, I was annoyed to discover Gen 2 cells.

So, I'd just be aware and look for sellers with a history of providing the right cells. It seems "MyBatterySupplier" may be a better option.

P.S.
I did not receive a free battery holder either.

Edited to add 12/6/13:
I just received my order from MyBatterySupplier, and the eneloops are genuine HR-3UTGB. Came with the free battery holder to boot. Success!