Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

I'm an early adopter of LSD (low-self-discharge) batteries, starting from the original Sanyo eneloop back in beginning of 2007. With dozens of rechargeable AA/AAA cells in use throughout the house, it would be a nightmare to keep ordinary (rapid-self-discharge) type batteries charged at all time. The only drawback of using LSD/Pre-Charged cells is that they have lower rated capacity compared to ordinary NiMH cells. Pre-charged cells are generally rated 2000-2100mAh for AA, whereas ordinary NiMH cell are typically rated 2500-2700mAh. Note that some lesser-known brands even claim up to '3000mAh', but I have found those numbers to be highly exaggerated.

I have tested a set of those newest SANYO eneloop XX cells, because they claim to be both pre-charged and have a much higher capacity of '2500mAh'. Date code on those cells say '10-08', which means August 2010. Here are my findings using the La Crosse BC-900 battery charger/analyzer:

- Right out of the package, the average remaining charge was 1004mAh, or just 40% of the rated capacity. The spread is very tight (990-1019mAh), which means they are indeed LSD type. Note that just like the original eneloop, those XX cells were not fully charged when they left factory,

- After just one Charge/Discharge cycle, the average capacity jumped to 2602mAh! Next cycle improved this number slightly to 2607mAH. Again the spread is very small (2570-2650mAh), indicating a good quality control.

Just for comparison, here are some of my test results for other LSD cells:
SANYO New (1500-cycle) eneloop AA: Rated 2000mAh, tested ~2100mAh (5% higher).
Rayovac Hybrid AA: Rated 2100mAh, tested ~2100mAh (same).
GP Recyko NiMH AA: Rated 2100mAh, tested ~2230mAh (6% higher).
Lenmar R2G AA: Rated 2150mAh, tested ~2030mAh (6% LOWER)
IMEDION AA: Rated 2400mAh, tested ~2450mAh (2% higher).
Yuasa Enitime PLUS AA: Rated 2500mAh, tested ~2400mAh (4% LOWER)

In summary, the new Sanyo XX cells really do offer the highest capacity among all LSD cells I have tested. Its capacity is comparable to that of ordinary 'high-capacity' NiMH cells, so you get the best of both worlds. On the down-side, it is currently priced about 2x higher than most other LSD cells. So you should only use them for mission-critical applications, where both low self-discharge and high capacity are required.

[Update on June 1, 2011]
Here are some technical details printed on the Sanyo XX package (see the scan I uploaded to the 'Customer Images' section):

- "Typ. 2500mAh, Min. 2400mAh" (The original eneloop claims "Typ. 2000mAh, Min. 1900mAh")
- "Recharge up to 500 times" (The original eneloop claims 1000 cycles, second-gen eneloop claims 1500 cycles)
- "Retains 75% of the capacity after 1 year of storage at 20 degree C" (The original eneloop claims 85%)
- "Suitable for temperature as low as -20 degree C" (The original eneloop calims -10, second-gen claims -20)

Another note: the Sanyo XX cell is _slightly_ thicker than the orginal eneloop cell. This may prevent you from using the XX in appliances with very tight battery compartments.

[Update on Oct 21, 2011]
Long-term self-discharge data:
- One pair of Sanyo XX cells was tested after three months of storage. The average remaining charge is 2060mAh, or 79.2% of their originally measured average capacity (2595mAh)
- Another pair was tested after five months of storage. The average remaining charge is 2040mAh, or 77.9% or their measured capacity (2620mAh). Note that if I use the rated capacity of 2500mAh as base line, then the charge retention rate is 81.6%

Sanyo claims the XX cell can retain 75% of rated capacity after one year of storage. This is consistent with my measured results so far.

[Update on May 6, 2014]
I just re-tested a pair of Sanyo XX cells after 2 years in storage. They retained an average charge of 1780mAh, which is 71% of orginal 2500mAh capacity. In contrast, eneloop cells can retain ~75% after 3 years, so the difference is not very significant.
review image
3030 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2011
The good:

1) 2500 mAh. An increase of 500 mAh from the original Sanyo Eneloop.
2) Made in Japan.
3) Pre-charged & ready to use.
4) Rechargeable 500X (X = times / cycles). That's good enough for me.

The not so good:

1) Expensive. At current selling price of USD20 @ B&H, NYC, it's currently more than twice the price of the original Sanyo Eneloop.
2) Black color looks good but I still prefer the plain white color as it allows me to mark / label these batteries, in pairs, with a permanent black marker.
3) As of this writing, the Sanyo Eneloop XX is only available in AA battery.

Background:

For over 4yrs now, I've been using the 'made in Japan', Low Self Discharge (LSD) AA & AAA rechargeable batteries from Sanyo called Eneloop & Eneloop 1500. I use them with all the remote controls & electronic devices / gadgets that I have. I have over a dozen pairs of the Sanyo Eneloop batteries & I like to keep them organized. I have them all marked / labeled in pairs so that I don't mix the batteries when I'm charging them. The plain white color of the Sanyo Eneloop is a plus point here.

For remote controls, the Eneloops are perfect. A single charge c'd stay for more than a year. No complaints. It's when I use the Eneloops with the Canon PowerShot A590IS Canon PowerShot A590IS 8MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom that I wish that these batteries had a lil' more juice in them. I c'd barely touch an average of 200 shots with a single charge. That's when I gave the Sanyo Eneloop XX a try & I'm impressed with it. The milliampere-hour (mAh), a measurement of the electric charge transferred by a steady current of one Ampere for one hour (check Google for more detailed explanation), in the new Sanyo Eneloop XX has been upped to 2500 mAh. This increase of 500 mAh really shows an improvement in the stamina of my compact camera's performance. I've already taken over 400 shots with the first charge & I'm still counting. Even the refresh time between shots have reduced a bit.

Conclusion:

Just a few yrs ago, the Sanyo Eneloop (rechargeable 1000X) used to be priced @ USD20 / 4pcs. It's now selling for about USD10 / 4pcs on Amazon & is very good value for money SANYO eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries. The newer Sanyo Eneloop 1500 (rechargeable 1500X), with no performance advantage over the original Eneloop, is priced @ about USD15 / 4pcs SANYO NEW 1500 eneloop 4 Pack AA Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries. I got the Sanyo Eneloop XX (rechargeable 500X) from B&H, NYC @ USD20 / 4pcs.

I'm sure the prices will eventually come down with more competition & with newer models getting released every year. For now, the Sanyo Eneloop XX sh'd only be considered for power hungry devices such as compact cameras & remote controlled toys. For everything else, the original Sanyo Eneloop (rechargeable 1000X) is still a very good purchase & has not run out of juice just yet.

I find 1500X a lil' over exaggerated. Even if I charge a pair of Sanyo Eneloop XXs every week, 500X will last me over 9yrs. I know I'll replace / upgrade these batteries in about 5yrs or so with whatever c'd be the latest & greatest in LSD rechargeable battery technology then.

For best results, I'm using the Sanyo Eneloop batteries with La Crosse Technology BC-700 power battery charger La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger.
44 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2011
When these arrived I discharged them on a Maha MH-C9000 battery analyzer to determine their shipped capacity. Discharging at 500mA the results showed 954mAh each. So, they arrived less then half charged. That is fine for my uses, just don't expect full capacity without putting them on a charger first. After a break-in cycle on the C9000 they are right at 2500mAh +/- 1% capacity. European packaging. FYI
on June 9, 2011
I will try to make this simple. My background and use extends to furniture stores, weddings, portrait shoots, etc.

Pros
On par with lithiums, tested many times and very happy.
The recharge rate holds up a lot better than other rechargeable when the batteries get low on juice 20-40% range. Tested many times next to the Eneloop 2100 MAH batteries.
Saves a ton of money in no time at all. These pay for themselves after 3 charges.

Cons
No charger / combo pack. Have to buy your own charger, or already own one that works with Eneloops (don't use quick chargers as recommended by the manufacture because it will kill your batteries faster.)
Literally 240% more expensive than the standard Eneloops. I do not see this price justified at all. I need the faster recycle times so yes, I will pay more, but for those thinking they will get a massive performance increase, it's not true.
Does not take as many recharges as the other Eneloop batteries.

There are more cons, but that is mainly due to accessibility, initial pricing, and lack of combo packs.

Tested on Canon 430 ex, 580 ex, sb-600, sb-800.

Do not buy these if you do not need FAST recycle time like I do as a wedding photographer. The standard Eneloops are way more than what you need. Once these go down in price I will replace all of my other Eneloops in my flashes, but until then I will be fine having 1 set for the times when I need 1 flash and need it fast.
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2011
These are amazing batteries. I have a pack of 4. Use 2 in my Xbox 360 and the other pair in my Turtle Beach PX5'S. They last a very long time. I know, I have the original Eneloops. The only negative is they take a LONG time to Fully Recharge. I just let them recharge overnight when sleep. Worth the money. Hopefully they make AAA's at some point and time.

Edit: After using these for sometime now I have changed my mind on these bateries. You are better off just getting the Normal Less Expensive WHite Eneloops. They don't last as long and they literally take 8-10 hours to recharge (both at sametime). I use them mainly in a pair of Turtle Beach PX5's and I ALWAYS have to recharge them after 2 days. I wish I would have not bought them. They are great for just controllers or devices that DON'T use the batteries heavily.
on July 26, 2011
Hybrid NiMH batteries are the only way to go. You can charge them and they will hold a charge for months. These batteries have a lot of power at 2,500 mAh, but beware of specialty products that require full voltage (e.g. electronics with motors in them) because NiMH batteries won't work in all devices.
on June 19, 2011
I agree with the other reviews, so I will just add my findings.

Out of the box with a manufacture date of 10-09 (Sept 10) they all had around 1000 mAh. I put them in my Maha MH-C9000 and did the break in. To my surprise the final mAh were lower than expected, 2432-2441 for a 2500 mAh rated battery. So I then ran them through my La Crosse BC-9000 and had much better results of 2580-2630 mAh.

Now the batteries are black, slightly thicker and slightly heavier than other 2500 mAh (Rayovac, Duracell). They have a quality feel and look to them. Are they worth the $5-6 dollars per battery? Possibly for mission critical applications were you need the LSD and high capacity. For general use, there are other options that are as good and more cost effective. Regardless, they are a 5 star product as I could find no issues with the batteries, now to find an application where I can really test the value of these batteries.
on July 10, 2011
Hey, who would have thought that batteries could be so important? Well, they can be. I use these batteries in my FL-50R Flash Unit from Olympus. There are times that I don't use the flash for several days or longer, and I don't have to worry about these batteries discharging so quickly. They also provide plenty of power for the unit. You won't be disappointed if you purchase these batteries.
on September 9, 2012
These are good batteries, but not at all worth the price gouge associated with them. I purchased a package of four hoping to find some big advantage, but found none. When they arrived, I discharged them using a Maha CH-9000 at 500 mA. Just as other reviewers found, they had a little over 1000 mah. Then, I put them through the break-in cycle of the Maha CH-9000. Each battery's actual capacity came close to about 2525 mah, which is 125 mah above the stated nominal capacity on the packaging.

However, these batteries are not worth the high price because they offer no competitive advantage over the Maha Imedion Low Self Discharge 2400 mah batteries (which also are typically around 2525 mah when new).

In my experience, both Eneloop and Imedion's rate of self-discharge is consistent with their marketing, meaning that if you charge them and leave them in a drawer for several months, they will retain 80% to 90% of the charge.

Eneloop XX are around $18 or MORE for four batteries, while Imedions are around $12. That's a 50% premium! Since Eneloop has no competitive advantage over Imedion, the additional 50% cost cannot be justified in any way. The extra premium is a complete waste of money. You don't get anything at all for this additional 50%.

I have no personal affiliation with Maha (AKA Powerex). I've used and tested both the Maha Imedion and Sanyo Eneloop over the past few years. The Imedions are better batteries than the original Eneloops because Imedion's capacity is about 40% higher than original Eneloops, but the difference in price is usually less than 40%. Finally, Eneloop is offering a AA battery that appears to be nearly identical to the AA Imedion, but they are charging 50% more. There is no reason anyone should pay 50% more for a low self discharge 2400 mah Eneloop than what a low self discharge 2400 mah Imedion costs. In my experience, the quality of Imedions is at least as good as Eneloops, so the only way to account for the 50% premium is marketing hype. In passing I'll mention that Imedion low self discharge AAA capacity is still substantially higher than Eneloop AAA.

If these cost the same as Imedions then they would be 4 to 5 star batteries. At this price, they are at best 2 star batteries.
on November 21, 2012
I used to use a different rechargeable battery for my Nikon SB800 flashes. They were rated at 2000mAh and performed well. I read reviews on the Eneloop and decided to give them a try. They perform very well in y Nikon SB910 flash. Very high output and they seem to last longer then my other batteries.

These are suitable for high current demanding applications like camera flashes.