1,357

on March 16, 2006
Format: Audio CD
I am fully aware that this is NOT punk rock at all, but I feel it is pop punk at its best. It has punk elements and doesn't go overboard with the pop. These guys are one of my favourite bands ever and are truly great musicians, and every song on this CD is excellent. Here's a breakdown:

1.Dumpweed-One of the best intro songs to an album ever. Really fast paced and energetic with the memorable lyric "I need a girl that I can train". 9.5/10

2.Don't Leave Me - A really solid song. Great vocals by Mark, cool lyrics. 8.5/10

3.Aliens Exist - Just a really awesome song, about aliens. How could it not be good? 8.5/10

4.Going Away To College - An AMAZING song. Very pop punkish, but if you buy this album you better like that genre. Really cool lyrics, a romantic feel to it. 10/10

5.What's My Age Again - Another great song. Their first really huge hit. One of my faves because I can really relate to the whole immaturity thing. Really awesome guitar intro and HILARIOUS video. It really sums up what blink is all about. 9.5/10

6.Dysentary Gary - Really cool, fast paced tune with a kick ass guitar riff at the beginning. Great vocal part by Mark in the middle of the song and the lyrics in the last verse are really rad. 9/10

7.Adam's Song - Probably the most memorable song on the whole album. In my opinion, it is one of blink's greatest songs. A really sad song dealing with loneliness and depression with awesome vocals by Mark. The Best Song on the album (my opinion). 10/10

8.All The Small Things - The poppiest song on the album, but I have to admit it is addicting. Very catchy, with one of the best music videos EVER. Even if you hate blink or don't know anything about blink, odds are you know this song. 9/10

9.The Party Song - One of the best on the album with another great, memorable line "Some girls try to hard". 9.5/10

10.Mutt - If you've seen American Pie, you know this song. Really kick ass song, with great lyrics. Alot more punkish then most of the songs, and the last song recorded with Scott Reynor, blink's last drummer before Travis. 9.5/10

11.Wendy Clear - Another solid, pop punkish song. The vocals are really good with a catchy guitar riff. 9/10

12.Anthem - A really solid close to the album. Fantastic drumming by Travis, and a song alot of teenagers can relate to. 9/10
on July 2, 2000
Format: Audio CD
Blink 182 appears to be one of the most immature punk bands out there, at first glance. Just the cover or title of their new CD can have one giggling like a little kid. Most of their songs, like "Dumpweed," "Don't Leave Me," "Wendy Clear," and "All the Small Things," are about girls and how incredibly frustrating they can be to the jilted teenage boy. The lyrics are funny (Say it ain't so/I will not go/Turn the lights off/Carry me home) but they also have basis on reality, too. There are other topics on the album, too, such as alien abduction (Aliens Exist), immaturity (What's My Age Again), and even suicide, in "Adam's Song," my personal favorite on the CD, a song that almost had me in tears the first time I heard it. It starts off: I never thought I'd die alone/I laughed the loudest, who'd have known?/I traced the cord back to the wall/No wonder it was never plugged in at all/I took my time I hurried up/The choice was mine, I didn't think enough/I'm too depressed to go on/You'll be sorry when I'm gone. This song once again proves that punk bands are capable of depth, just like Green Day with "Time of Your Life." Personally, this album was a great buy for me, but it did take some time for me to realize how mature this band really is.
on March 4, 2003
Format: Audio CD
Well, look, this is no Astral Weeks, no Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, no Joshua Tree. That's a given, but neither is it just disposable pop punk. The boys of Blink 182 have made a record here that is not just for kids. Instead, they give a 12 snapshot, thirty-five minute insight into male adolescence trying to figure out its way into maturity -- and not finding any of it easy. Girlfriends are a particular confusion of course; they dump you by leaving for college (Going Away to College), they dump you because they've found someone who thinks about issues (Dysentary Gary), and they dump you for reasons you don't have a clue about (Don't Leave Me). But these boy/men are also haunted by childhood fears (Aliens Exist) and trapped by depression in their rooms (Adam's Song). And, of course, parents are an annoyance at best (Anthem). So, faced by all this, what gets them through? Music of course, singing and playing about it all. In Blink's case that means simple three-chord thrashing at guitar, bass and drums, nasally vocals that remind me a bit of the Ramones, as they sing lyrics that at their frequent best are at once whiney, witty, and full of longing. I come out of this CD thinking these boys are gonna be alright -- though they'll want to do something about those tattoos in years to come -- just like most all of our children.
on November 26, 1999
Format: Audio CD
This is definetely Blink 182's best Cd yet. Every song is fun and interesting to listen to with great guitar and vocals. The lyrics in some of the songs also make you think(Adam'a song, All the Small Things). If you don't have this Cd, you should go out and buy it right now. If your parents won't let you buy the CD because of the cover, tell them the CD isn't bad at all. There are almost no swear words on the whole CD. BUY IT RIGHT NOW!
on December 22, 1999
Format: Audio CD
This CD kicks big time. The first time I heard of Blink 182 was when their smash hit "What's my Age Again" came out. Then a few months later I heard "All the Small Things." It was so damn funny (the video) & couldn't stop laughing. Then 5 weeks later I heard "Adam's Song" on the radio & even though it is about suicide I still loved it. Over the next few weeks I'm going to try to get "Dude Ranch," "Cheshire Cat," & "Buddha." Blink kicks so much! This is a must get CD.Why? Mainly becausethey always have such a strong & creative & outgoing beat. Even if some of the song's like "Mutt," & "The Party Song," are immatur, that's ok because They both are still really good songs. To tell you the truth, all of the songs are tight. If you're a true "PUNK ROCK" fan, this is the perfect CD!
on January 20, 2000
Format: Audio CD
People in the punk/metal scene need to get over their "holier then thou" attitude why do people freak out when their favorite band goes from playing "6 bands Eight bucks" shows to $35 dollar concerts. We WANT them to be sucessful, so you knew Blink when Scott Raynor was the drummer and you tortured your parents with "Depends" off Cheshire Cat that doesn't mean they're sell-outs now that employees of the GAP like Blink. Britney Spears and N'Sync don't even write their own songs. Blink NOT only WRITES their own music, but get this...THEY ACTUALLY PLAY THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS! How many Backstreet Boys can do that! No matter what you listen to, buy this CD. Blink 182 is a versatile band you have "What's my age.." and "Adam's Song" on one album showing you Blink's playful and meaningful sides. This band has come along way from their early days and this CD showcases it's maturity while sticking to their punk roots. Blink 182 has grown up...I wonder have you?
VINE VOICEon December 1, 1999
Format: Audio CD
...really can make a difference when listening to a band's latest album and comparing it to an old one. And if the small things make a difference, the BIG things spell nothing but "change". And the change is for the better with Blink 182's latest release. Sure, call them sellouts (you know you'd sellout if given the opportunity), but what the band has produced here is cleaner pop-punk rock with a sound that hasn't smashed the Top 25 until now (give them SOME credit). The bottom line is, I have all 3 CDs and this is equally as good as the others. I like to see a band change rather than making no new strides over their career. Highlights of this CD are "Going Away to College", "Don't Leave Me", "Aliens Exist", "Anthem", "Adam's Song"...and oh yeah...EVERY SONG ON THE ALBUM! It's well put together...and if you can't except the changes they've made, don't listen to them anymore. With all the new fans they've acquired, they won't miss you for a second.
on May 29, 2005
Format: Audio CD
First off, I will say that I am a diehard music fan in general. I listen to all types of music, not just pop-punk, like Blink 182 so masterfully supplies the music world with. There will always be people out there who waste their time writing terrible reviews in an attempt to inform the public of Blink's faults. Blink 182 is not punk. They are pop-punk, which in case no one has realized, IS a genre of music. These opinions are just that: opinions. They do not make the band bad or any less valuable than others out there. Now I will say that if you are considering buying Emena of the State, I would strongly encourage you to do so. This is by far the best cd, overall, that I have ever purchased. It is the only cd in my entire collection that I listen to completely without skipping songs, which says a lot. All the songs are great and unique and I have not grown tired of any of them, even with the incessant airplay of some of the singles. The lyrics are hilarious at times and the music is wonderful- the guitar playing rocks and Travis does an amazing job on drums. Here is a rundown on all the songs. I hope it may be helpful:

1. Dumpweed- A great opener to the cd. Tom sings of the problems he finds with his girl among other things. Fast paced guitar and drumming.

2.Don't Leave Me- similar to Dumpweed- Mark's first song is about a breakup. A very upbeat song that's fun to sing along to.

3. Aliens Exist- Great song with great lyrics. Underneath the surface of immaturity lies a story of a lack of normality and being misunderstood. Tom does a great job on the vocals.

4. Going Away to College- It took me a while to warm up to this one, but has become one of my absolute favorites. The lyrics are some of the best: Why does it feel the same to fall in love or break it off and if young love is just a game then/ I must have missed the kick-off/

5. What's my age again- One of Blink 182's most popular singles. Amazing guitar- superb playing. Lyrics: I called her mom from a payphone/ I said I was the cops/ and your husband's in jail/ This state looks down on sodomy/ I have heard this one about a zillion times and I am still in love with it.

6. Dysentary Gary- Yet another breakup song but it holds its place on the cd extremely well. Fast and funny.

7. Adam's Song- This is one of my all-time favorite songs. It is the reason I bought the cd in the first place. Adam's song is a display of the guys' serious side and the lyrics are deeper and have a lot of meaning. The music is Blink at their very best. The transition from verse to chorus is extremely well done and accurately portrays the feelings associated with the lyrics. Wonderful song.

8. All the Small Things- One of the funner songs on the cd. It is not one of my favorites-largely due to overplaying, but still a great song. Good to blast with all your friends

9. The Party Song- Another favorite. Fastest song on the album and Mark does an awesome job. Short but sweet.

10. Mutt- Definitely in my top five favorites on the cd. This song is about the disfunctional relationship between a couple. The music is good as usual along with Tom's singing.

11. Wendy Clear- Probably my least favorite but Mark's effort keeps this song playing on my stereo

12. Anthem- Travis' rapid drumming and Tom's vocals put this song near the top of my list. Anthem is really the essence of Blink 182, and a large percentage of all other teens' lives out there. It shows the difficulty of growing up and the feelings of hopelessness and distress.
on January 29, 2001
Format: Audio CD
I can clearly see the appeal here; I'll give them due credit for finding a niche that clearly deserves mining... and there is NO other Blink 182, that's for sure. Each and every song could stay in your head for days, and, unfortunately, they sometimes do. The musicianship displayed borders on my infantile excursions with pots and silverware in the kitchen. And it kinda makes me sick when someone says they're awesome musicians because they can play FAST. They must be awesome lyricists, then, too, cause they sing fast, right? When you play those same three chords over and over again long enough, IN THE SAME ORDER, mind you, you're gonna get fast at doing it.
I just wish that everyone that liked Blink 182 would take the time to listen to Idlewild, or better yet, early Pavement. At least they do something in the genre that can be described as pioneering.
on December 1, 1999
Format: Audio CD
There are several great tracks on Enema of the State, like "All the Small Things" and "Mutt". If you're a punk fan, you'll love this album. I listen to it everyday during my study hall.