- File Size: 728 KB
- Print Length: 337 pages
- Publication Date: June 8, 2009
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B002ECEKBW
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #151,676 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$12.25|
Save $11.26 (92%)
Enemies and Playmates Kindle Edition
|Length: 337 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
Audible NarrationAudible Narration: Ready
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $1.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Suspense, random blood spatter and mismatched socks consume Darcia's days. She writes because the characters trespassing through her mind leave her no alternative. Only then are the voices free to haunt someone else's mind.
Join Darcia in her fictional world: http://www.QuietFuryBooks.com
The characters await you.
Top Customer Reviews
Lauren Covington's father is a highly successful businessman who shows the world a face of compassion. But to his family, he is brutal, vicious, and unforgiving. Lauren wants to escape, to just live a normal life of a college student, but feels trapped by her mother's helplessness and the need to protect her younger brother. She meets Jesse at a bar, feeling an instant attraction to the man, without realizing that he works for her father, handling contract jobs her father wants kept off the book and out of sight.
Darcia doesn't hold anything back in this story. This story went places I just didn't want to go. I couldn't finish it. If you want a compelling story dealing with abuse, I'd recommend this book. If you want a beach read, try something different. This book will give you nightmares.
Something else I noticed about this author: she manages to add unpredictable and thrilling turns in all her novels when you at least expect it.
And yes, you kind of know that the two main characters will find their happy end, but you will never be able to guess all the "how it will happen", which, of course, makes this book such a "take a break from the day and get lost in a good escape-book" read.
Lauren Covington, age 23, seems like a happy person when out with friends but at home, her father, Alex, is a domineering control freek who physically and verbally abuses his family.
Lauren gets her biggest break when she meets Jesse Ryder. Jesse is a private investigator and the two are immediately attracted to each other.
Jesse had been doing work for Alex Covington's law firm but when the asked Jesse to fake some evidence and set up someone to be framed Jesse tells them to forget it.
Lauren keeps the abuse to herself but when her brother overdoses, she can no longer stand it and confides in Jesse. Jesse then decides to take action against Alex but Alex has influential friends and hires some muscle to do the dirty work for him.
Darcia Helle tells an inticing story. She states that she has been influenced by Tami Hoag, John Sanford and Janet Evanovich. Her story has such a strong message that copies should be distributed at women's shelters.
The story is well told, Jesse Ryder is a likable character with a strong sense of morality. Lauren and her mother are somewhat meek but perhaps this is a trait common to the abused.
Copies of the book can be found at the author's website [...]
or through Amazon by searching under the title and indicating, paperback copy. Read it, it's worth the effort and you'll have an enjoyable experience.
Here are my complaints:
1. There is absolutely NO character development in the beginning...I still have no idea how old Jesse is supposed to be. There were no real descriptions of the characters, and the author provided no opportunities for me to attach to the characters before the drama began. Do I feel bad for Lauren and her family? Yes, but it just wasn't enough to keep me reading.
2. How many times must Alex threaten to kill Jesse? This got really old - Alex threatens Lauren that he'll kill Jesse, Lauren freaks out and begs Jesse to stop AND tries to break up with him, Jesse calms Lauren and everything is okay. Seriously? Again and again...
3. It seems like the author wanted this to be a gripping romantic drama (from the description), but it just dragged on and on, with ridiculous plot developments. Not gripping, not romantic.
Sorry, Enemies and Playmates - I can't finish you, I'll be deleting you, and I certainly won't be recommending you.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Loved this! It was sexy and suspenseful. I am definitely recommending this to friends and family to read!! Definitely not predictable!Published 29 days ago by Taylor
I find it disturbingly artistic. I highly recommend this for erotica lovers.Published 1 month ago by emiya15
This book explains whereabouts about millennial. That's why I immediately bought it.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Was definitely a different type of read for me, but extremely interesting. I didn't want to out it down. As the chapters went on, it kept getting interesting.Published 1 month ago by Tanee Coleman
This is a very good book, it just makes me think a lot, maybe I should stop trying to manipulate people close to mePublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Private Investigators
- Books > Romance > Romantic Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Private Investigators
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Suspense