4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but now you can get better for LESS!
Published on March 4, 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Compact but slow, and not for overseas.
Published on July 25, 2009 by David

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but now you can get better for LESS!, March 4, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Energizer Compact Charger With 4 AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (Electronics)
I bought this particular charger a few years ago when I bought my digital camera (back when rechargeable batteries were between 1200 and 1600 mAh - now they're 2100 mAh.) While this charger worked as specified and was reliable, I've outgrown it, but will retain mine. I upgraded this week to the Engergizer 30-Minute charger (item CH30MN) for $27.00 - less than what this overnight charger is listed for. This 30-min charger was necessary, since I don't use my camera a little at a time - I use it a LOT at a time - so a 30 minute charger was a necessity so I could have 6 sets of batteries charged up for a photo outting without having to remember to start the charging process a week in advance!
Bottom line: it works well, but, like computers, now you can get better for less.

2.0 out of 5 stars Compact but slow, and not for overseas., July 25, 2009
David (California) - See all my reviews
I purchased this compact Energizer AA/AAA charger about 4 years ago to replace my unwieldy Energizer universal charger, which worked with AA, AAA, C, D, and 9V. (Turns out I only use AA and AAA batteries.) This charger is compact and has a sleek design, but the technology now lags far behind the competition. In fact, I am surprised to see that the exact same product I bought in 2005 is still available!

Charger pros:
-Compact
-Sleek design

Charger cons:
-Only charges in pairs
-Charges based on time, not battery charge (a.k.a. "dumb" charger)
-Does not work internationally (120V rather than 100-240V)
-Full charge takes 8.5 hours (must leave in wall overnight)
-Only one light to indicate full charge for all 4 batteries
-Light goes from green to off, not from red to green (confusing)

Battery pros:
-AA 2500mAh rating lasts a long time during a single use (e.g., a full day of photography)
-Included batteries have lasted 4 years without excessive memory loss

Battery cons:
-AA 2500mAh rating cannot be paired with AA 2450mAh, which is the rating for Energizer's standalone battery packs
-Batteries have high drain when not in use, unlike newer low self-discharge designs

If you are going to go with an inexpensive battery charger, consider a 100-240V Duracell, Kodak, or Sanyo charger with better charge time instead. You can purchase these chargers alone or in combination with low self-discharge rechargeable batteries, which are better than those included here. A value pack from Sanyo, for example, costs less than this Energizer pack and includes a "smart" (charge-based, not time-based) charger!

Ultimately, this item is obsolete. Buyer beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent charger, 4 hrs charge time, January 15, 2011
Octav (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Somehow, all the reviews listed for this charger actually talk about the Energizer AA Ni-MH batteries. Something must be messed-up in Amazon's review system (at the time of this writing).

So let's talk about the charger itself:
+: Decent price, really compact, can handle AA and AAA batteries.
+: Runs cool, doesn't cook the batteries, but still gives them a good charge in a manageable amount of time. By the way, it takes 3-4 hours to charge batteries, not 8.
-: Although it has four status lights, one for each battery, this is (intentionally, if you want my opinion) misleading : the charger only has two charging channels, so it charges the batteries in pairs, at a current of 700 mA.
-: Battery charge detection logic seems to be acting-up sometimes, I've seen it declare an almost fully charged set of batteries as defective, and on a couple of occasions I've had it terminate the charge early (I could tell as it declared a known dead set of batteries charged in under an hour, when I was expecting at least a three hour charging cycle), unplugging it and plugging it back in continued the charging process and terminated it three hours later.

I have a 15 minute charger for emergencies, so having a 4-hour charger for normal situations is a good thing. I usually keep an eye on it so I can see if it terminates the charge early (seems to be happening within the first hour) so I can restart it. Other than that, it's a good price for a semi-fast charger and 4 AAs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good in the beginning, but...., August 30, 2006
Kara (Hawaii, USA) - See all my reviews
I got the batteries for my canon powershot and they lasted quite a long time but after recharging them a few times, the battery life got shorter and shorter until now, when even though they've been sitting in the charger until the light indicates it's done, when I put them into my camera it still says "Change the batteries".

2.0 out of 5 stars One Year Later and 50% Failure, October 28, 2009
A. C. Smith (Northern Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
These were the first rechargeable batteries I bought. They worked fine for a while, but recently I had a second battery fail so I am now down to two working batteries. I'm using a higher end La Crosse charger, so I can't even blame the failures on the cheap recharger provided w/ the set. I've since gone w/ the Sanyo Eneloops and am having much better luck w/ those.

When buying rechargeable batteries the idea is that you can reuse them over an extended period and these just don't seem to perform. I'd recommend you spend a bit more and get a better quality product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Malfunctions, July 22, 2012
Paul D. Ladendorf "Paul L." (Griffith, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This charger is very sensitive and malfunctions periodically where it won't charge even Energizer batteries let alone other brands. The lights just blink constantly as if the batteries are defective but they aren't because they charge on another charger. Plus the batteries that came with it didn't last very long. Won't buy Energizer products again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets HOT but still works, June 7, 2009
justmeHK (Henderson, NV) - See all my reviews
ENERGIZER CHD-CA: I am not sure if it is something that is wrong with the charger, or the batteries, or if it is just normal. But the batteries get super HOT. The light stays on, so I assume it is still charging, but this is probably not the smarter unit that knows how to turn itself off. Still, it serves as a simple backup when others have failed. It is still working after 3 years, unlike my Sanyo NC-MQH01U Super Quick Charger that died on us after 3 years. Oh, and I like how it closes up and makes it compact to pack.

Update: I found a secret flip-out that allows me to charge AAA batteries. So, I would like to change the star-rating to a 4.5. Not a 5, because it does overheat if left in the outlet for too long.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad - for an Energizer charger, March 1, 2012
Most of the low-cost Energizer battery chargers I examined are very disappointing. For examples:
- The Energizer Value Charger is a timer-based dumb charger. It charges your batteries for ~11 hours, regardless of battery capacity or status.
- The Energizer Overnight Charger is even dumber. It simply charges at a low current forever. It is up to you to remove the batteries in time to avoid over-charging,

The Energizer Compact Charger (CHDCWB-4) offered here is a bit smarter. It monitors the battery voltage during charging, and will terminate charging when a voltage 'dip' is detected (This technique is often called 'negative delta-V detection'). That way, you don't have to worry about overcharging and damaging your batteries.

One remaining problem is that: although this charger comes with four battery indicators, it can only charge in pairs. That is, either 2 or 4 cells. This is very inconvenient when you have appliances (such as LED flashlights) that require odd number of cells. If you try to charge one empty cell and one full cell as a pair, then either the first one will be under-charged or the second one will be over-charged. There is just no way around it.

The charging current is 700mA. For a typical AA NiMH cell with capacity 2000-2500mAh, this gives a charge time of 3-4 hours, which is a good compromise between 'shorter charge time' and 'longer lifespan'. For a typical AAA cell with capacity 700-900mAh, this charge rate is slightly too high but still acceptable for occasional use.

After charging is done, the charger switches over to 'trickle charge' current of ~50mA. For ordinary NiMH cells (which often suffer from rapid self-discharge problem), trickle current is meant to keep the batteries fresh and ready to use. For new generation of Pre-Charged NiMH cells such as Sanyo eneloop, trickle charge is unnecessary and you should remove your batteries once they are done.

As a compact charger for travel, this unit is not too bad. But for lower cost, you can get a much better charger that handles individual cells. For example, consider the Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HLD4KN Power Charger with 4 Pre-Charged 2000 mAh AA Batteries instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Rechargables, November 29, 2011
Mykers (Fullerton, Ca) - See all my reviews
We have two young kids who constantly blow through batteries like you wouldn't believe. While most are reluctant to use a product like this, I highly recommend them. They provide good long-lasting power since I have used them. I am going on close to a year now and they are still running strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast charging batteries., June 14, 2011
Bought these for the new camera I got and straight out of the package they charged up within 4 hours. Package says it only takes 3.5 hours, we'll see the next charge. Having the meter is handy so you can tell if the battery is dead or just weak. It is suppose to also let you know when a battery has gone bad. Charging closing up is going to be a big help as my camera bag is small, so it will only take a little room plus it is light weight. Lighter than the one I use at home for "plain" AA's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Energizer Compact  Charger With 4 AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries
$28.70 $22.32
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.