5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, It Works!
I really like it. Although I have a few reservations, I do recommend it 100%. It really does charge the batteries in 15 minutes; this is a miracle to me, since I have always used those overnight chargers (you know, once your batteries are empty, you can't use them again until tomorrow).

The heat issue is what concerns me. It has a built in fan, which is a good...
Published on May 15, 2008 by jerry i h

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick Charger Has Problems
Published on June 12, 2007 by Jerry P. Danzig

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, It Works!, May 15, 2008
jerry i h (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Energizer Compact Charger Recharges AA and AAA Batteries, AA Batteries Included (Electronics)

The heat issue is what concerns me. It has a built in fan, which is a good thing since the batteries get pretty warm. I make sure that I stand it on end, so the fan is aimed at the air and not the table. I suspect that charging the batteries so fast and making them so warm shortens the lifespan and capacity somewhat.

There are many good things. You can do 1, 2, 3, or 4 batteries (hooray-I have several things that use 1 or 3 batteries, and my other chargers will only do 2 or 4). It is a smart charger, so if a battery is no good, it won't charge. When the batteries are done, the red light turns green. It comes with 4 AA NiMH's that are 2200 mAh and made in Japan.

Some things I did not like:
* it is really 25 minutes, since you are suppose to leave it in 10 minutes after the light turns green.
* there is only one light for all 4 slots; if you get a blinking red light, you have to take batteries in and out to find the bad one
* the + side of the slot is a moveable, black button

The wall plug is your basic block adapter. The input to the charger (from the plug) lists 11-16volts and 5amps. Output (to the batteries) is 5.6volts, 7.5amps (for AA) and 3amps (for AAA).

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick Charger Has Problems, June 12, 2007
I wish I could give this quick charger a five-star review, but I've experienced some problems with mine. First, it gives off a significant amount of TV interference -- more than any other device in my house except perhaps the microwave oven or vacuum. You will NOT want to use the charger while you are watching a movie! Second, it seems to reject a lot of batteries that still work and that my other chargers have no problems recharging. This is especially true for AAA batteries for some reason. (I have subsequently discovered that the charger rejects batteries that are close to fully charged rather than indicate that they are fully charged. This means that the charger MAY charge the rejected batteries again later, after they have been further depleted.) So -- if you only want one charger in the house, I can't recommend this one. I can however recommend it as a supplemental charger, when it chooses not to be tempermental. On the positive side, I like the fact that this unit has four independent channels, allowing you to charge any number of batteries, from one to four. (You don't have to pair up batteries.) It also has a built-in fan that cools batteries down (quick charging can make them get pretty hot to the touch).

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend!, February 2, 2008
I bought this charger after tiring of having to constantly replace my camera's AA batteries, and it is tremendous. When I am in the middle of taking photos and my batteries give out, it only takes 15 minutes to recharge and I am back in business. Whether or not I actively use the camera, the charge lasts for at least a month and hundreds of photos. Though the unit was a bit expensive, as are the batteries, I know I am saving a LOT of $$$ in the long run.

After 8 months of bliss with this unit, I bought a second for another room and the AAA batteries in a snowglobe. So far the first charge has lasted almost a month of non-stop use.

I can't help but wonder if the reviewers having all the problems with this unit are using other than the Energizer batteries that come with it or not following simple directions. I only charge the batteries when they are depleted, so I don't get any flashing red lights, or rejected batteries, and it doesn't affect my TV, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Excellent Charger, November 2, 2008
This charger is awsome, although it is sensitive of detecting bad cells (in my case the rayovac ic3 batteries were actually bad). Even my slow smart charger won't charge these batteries properly. Like it would charge for an hour and give me a blinking red flash. Now for those that are having issues with this charger I can explain why and here what I discovered that might make things much easier.

1.This charger is very sensitive to changes in resistance. If the resistance is too high you get a red blinking LED flash. So make sure the contacts on the charger, and batteries are clean before putting them in the charger.

2.There is a trick to actually get bad cells to charge in this charger. To get them to charge you have to power cycle the charger repeatedly until it charges the cell while the batteries are in the charger by simply unplugging and plugging until the red flashing stops. Now if the cell does not charge, then the cell actually is bad and needs to be replaced.

3.when fully charged or the light turns green. Leave it for another 15-30 minutes so the cells can cool while being topped off even after the fan has shut off. This is for maximum performance out of your cells.

And lastly any nimh battery charges in 15 minutes. It seems to like the precharged duracell a lot. So far no problems with the charger once you figured it out how it works. This has to be the most advanced charger ever.

Hope this help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Charger! Works great!, January 18, 2007
This is the fastest charger I could find & Amazon had it the cheapest. Also, it was a name brand, which I like to buy for these types of electrical items. It has a fan to cool down the batteries which get pretty hot during charging. I am very satisfied with this product.

The only negative is that it is fairly bulky for travel use & it comes as 2 pieces - one is the actual charger and one is the AC cord, which has a large block as the plug.

1.0 out of 5 stars Red light flashes alot, November 27, 2007
Worked great for a few months, now I get a lot of flashing red lights indicating a problem with a cell. Out of the first 4 cells, one was rejected form the charger. A week later a second cell was rejected. Instead of buying new NIMH batteries every three months I bought a different brand of charger and the cells that this unit won't charge will charge fine in the new one. Can't recommend this Energizer charger.

2.0 out of 5 stars HARD TO CHARGE, July 29, 2007
Scott P. Wisniewski (Adrian, MI United States) - See all my reviews
The charger red light flashes a lot. Requiring repositioning of batteries often. A real pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, May 30, 2007
Gatton (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I've had this charger for about a year and I've been very pleased with it. I bought it to charge mainly AA batteries that I use in my digital camera, ham radio and scanner. The charge time is approximately 15 - 20 minutes and I've been happy with how long the batteries last in these devices. The only real con is that this is a pretty pricey device but you can save a few bucks if you shop around. In the end it's worth it as I have read many poor reviews of similar but less expensive products. This charger has overcharge protection and other features that make it worth it. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible charger, very frustrating to use, August 24, 2008
G. Robertshaw (Central California USA) - See all my reviews
If you need a reliable charger, this is NOT the one to get. NIMH batteries that are charged fine with other chargers get a red "reject" blinking light from this one, which means you can't charge them.

The quick charge idea is nice, except it's rather hard on battery life, so you're really better off getting a good one or two hour charger. The heat generated by 15-minute charging is not the best thing for NIMH batteries. I have many sets of NIMH batteries of different brands and capacities, and this charger manages to reject most of them at one time or the other. If you don't have another charger available, you're out of luck. The "reject" batteries seem to work fine in every way but in this miserable charger.

When it works, (like it will with a new set of batteries for a while) it's fine, and it includes all the niceties like a car adapter; but after it's rejected its third or fourth set of your known-good batteries, you'll get the idea that this thing is worthless. I keep hanging on to it as a backup, but it's not reliable enough for that, so I think the sledge hammer is soon going to give me some revenge for all the frustration this thing has given. 8^)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Touchy Operation, June 25, 2008
This charger can be very good, then again it can be horrible.
When it works, it charges batteries in 15 minutes as advertised. Though the instructions say that to fully charge batteries they should be kept in the charger for at least 10 minutes after the green light comes on indicating the batteries are charged, this can be shortcutted by removing the batteries and re-inserting them or else disconnecting and reconnecting the charger via the plug on the side of the unit. It will then add further current to the batteries for a minute or two. Do this a couple of times and it should fully charge the batteries.

The bad parts of this charger are, as others have pointed out, rejecting perfectly good batteries as being unchargeable.
I have learned to "nurse" it into accepting these types of batteries by warming them up by sitting them atop charging batteries so the warmth generated by the charging batteries will heat up the offending ones but this is a real pain to keep track of. If this doesn't work you are out of luck for those that fail.

Another pain is the fan. It doesn't always work smoothly and when it doesn't the vibrations the fan causes will make the red light blink just like it does when unchargeable batteries are detected. So you have to rap the unit on a table top until the fan runs smoothly before you can really determine if it is a battery problem or unit problem.

So though this unit has potential, it is more for quickie charges. If you have the time, a slower charger is better for battery life and will cause less battery rejection.