Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Energizer Household Lighting LED Under Cabinet/Strip Light, #HRGCAB
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon October 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a well-made under-shelf lighting unit which delivers bright, even light to your work surface. In my old house I used first fluorescent and later halogen puck under-shelf lighting in the kitchen. Since moving, I've used battery-powered LED pucks and strips (and invariably left them on overnight within a month, draining the rechargeable batteries I use) while I waited for a more permanent solution to present itself. The Energizer Household Lighting LED appears to be that solution.

I basically agree with all of the very positive reviews here, so I'm going to pick some nits.

A white body and cord would be a much better fit in my kitchen.

The cord clips don't stick very well (yes, I cleaned the surface with alcohol beforehand).

It would have been nice if they had provided the mounting template on a separate, appropriately-sized piece of paper instead of printing it on the large instruction sheet.

This unit throws off a lot more heat from its back side than I expected. This could be a problem if your bottom shelf and the bottom of the cabinet are one piece of wood. Not dangerous, but not good for foods, spices, and condiments that may be OK at room temperature, but adversely effected when exposed to prolonged warmth. As it happens, the cabinet I used has a finished bottom, creating an air gap between the cabinet bottom and the shelf. Warmth inside the cabinet was barely perceptible to the touch. It would be good if the housing could be designed as more of a heat sink, putting that warmth into the air instead of the mounting surface.
on April 25, 2014
This is as described, packed nicely, and shipped quickly. The hubby installed it easily under a corner kitchen cabinet. Impressed with its construction, he commented that if we ever need to light up other dark corners, to get this again.

We only needed one light, and we used an outlet that was already in the dark corner under cabinets. The toggle switch is very easy to locate and we use it often as a night light or, of course, when cooking in that area.

The LED light (color, illumination) is very different than the others in the kitchen, but not too bright and not too cool (blue). I'm partial to the old incandescent bulbs, so probably wouldn't install a run of these in the kitchen, but in a garage or workshop, they'd be ideal. The light is clear, doesn't emit heat and because it's a long unit with many little LED lights, allows for working with little shadowing. This will last a long time, too.
VINE VOICEon October 30, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This LED light strip is very bright and extremely useful. It resembles a power strip. There is a row of bright LED lights, and an on-off switch. You can mount it to the wall or under cabinet or where ever you want more light. I put mine in my closet and it really brightened things up. I now can tell if my pants are black or dark blue! Where ever you need some extra light, put up this light strip and your problems are solved. I am getting another one for under the kitchen counter.
VINE VOICEon October 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In the package you will find the light, a power cord for plugging into an outlet, a power cord for connecting another light in a chain to this light, 3 cable management clips, and 2 self tapping screws to mount the light. I didn't find any drywall anchors which might have come in handy for some alternate mounting locations.

The light contains 6 LEDs in a row under a translucent plastic cover to diffuse the light. The light output is bright and I would say the 40W equivalent claim is correct. The light output is on the green-yellow side and not bad for a work area light.

What I really dislike about the light is the frequency of the light output. As soon as I turned it on I knew the light was pulsing. It was really fast but I could notice it.

Back not too long ago in the time of CRT computer monitors when the refresh rate of a monitor was set to 60Hz it would drive me bonkers. I had to run at a higher refresh rate, the higher the better. It always seemed to be a person to person type of thing, some people can notice it and some can't.

Where that little story comes in here is 60Hz happens to be the frequency of household AC power in the US. I didn't think it was coincidence so I tore the light apart to see how it works. Inside I found the following... Using Google to look up the part numbers I determined that the parts inside driving the LEDs consisted of the AC input running into a bridge rectifier aka. diode bridge(converts the AC to DC), a metal oxide varister across the AC input to the bridge rectifier (surge suppression), a fuse (safety), and from the output side of the bridge were traces running to each side of the LEDs. The LEDs were run in series with a resistor (to cut the voltage from the bridge rectifier) in-between each pair. In my research of the bridge rectifier I found that by its nature it outputs a pulsed current and that you can use a capacitor to smooth the output. This simple addition would have gotten rid of the flicker that I see.

I don't know a whole lot about electronic circuits and have no formal training in electronics but I was able to figure this out in a few minutes of research using Google. They had to know this and chose not to include a capacitor on the output to save some money. Otherwise in my explorations of the light it looked to be built well and not put together sloppily.

So in the end my opinion is that if you know that light pulsed at a 60Hz rate bugs you this isn't the light for you.
77 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This strip light by Energizer is very bright. Previously, I had 3 ikea lights under my cabinets. They were a mess to install. Wires all over the place and the light bulbs didn't last long. I had to replace the bulbs often since they burn out. Plus, they were not bright. They gave enough light to see but not enough to make your kitchen look nice. The Energizer light strip might be a bit much for under cabinet lighting but it is worth it for many reasons. It will last you long since it is LED. LED's last long and you won't have to worry about forking $8 every couple of months to replace bulbs. They are energy efficient. You don't have to worry about a big light bill for leaving them on a lot. They are bright. These are about 10 times brighter than the ikea lights I had. It makes the kitchen look real nice. Installation was simple too. I just screwed two screws and the light has two slots where you can insert and slide to lock in place. For the price these are a great investment for worry free under cabinet lights. I think I will be purchasing some of these for the closet since they are small and very bright.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This light is very easy to install--if you have ever mounted a power strip, it's the exact same thing, except this comes with a template so you know exactly where to put the screws. The light that is produced is a very pleasant, somewhat warm light--not that harsh, cold light that is often associated with LED lighting. I verified that while on, it does only draw 10 watts. It runs cool and, while it isn't as bright as my T8 florescent lights, it does put out plenty of light to be mounted over a work station of some sort, whether that's an office desk, a kitchen counter, a garage shop, etc. The housing feels solid and, while I don't intend to throw it around, it looks like it could handle a good whack here and there without any significant damage.

Note that the unit DOES flicker. This is due to the fact that there is no AC to DC conversion and LED lights require the current to go in a single direction. High end LED lights are rectified meaning (roughly) that it flickers at twice the frequency of the input (120 Hz instead of 60). That is a high enough rate that you really don't see it. 60 Hz is low enough that you can. However, if there is a lot of other ambient lighting, you shouldn't notice it very often unless you are very sensitive to it. Generally I have no tolerance to a 60 Hz flicker. I can see it from time to time, but since it is just supplemental lighting, I can live with it. Still, I'm afraid it's enough to drop the rating a star.

You can take up to 7 of these units and link them together, and that's nice for expandability without having as many cords strung all over the place. I'm not sure why 7 is the limit--that would take you to 70 Watts, which isn't very much, especially considering incandescent lights are often 75 or even 100 watts. However, they insist that 7 is the limit. So be it.

All in all, not a bad package. The best improvement would be to integrate an AC to DC converter so that you don't get any flickering and you could also dim the lights. At very least, they should add a rectifier to double the flicker rate. On the other hand, it would add to the price and I don't know that most people would think it was worth it. As for the existing price, you'll have to decide if all these features are worth the asking price to you or not--it isn't super high, but you could probably find cheaper options as well. Personally, I think the asking price is high enough that it should incorporate at least the rectifier as is (just that should not add significantly to the manufacturing price) and possibly even the full AC to DC converter with a dimmer switch.
VINE VOICEon October 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Eco-friendly. Easy to install. Easy to use. Versatile enough to be used in a slew of situations. Low key design means it won't stand out or look intrusive.

All of this is true. For pure FUNCTION, it's hard to go wrong with these simple LED lights. They're great to install in cupboards, under cabinets, in closets, over a basement workbench, in a nook, or anywhere else you'd want a small but handy bit of light.

The light is fairly bright, too, matching the claim they make about being equal to a 40w bulb.

With this you get light, two a power cords (one for the outlet and one to chain together multiple lights), cable management clips, and self tapping mounting screws. Pretty much all you need.

At $50 each it's a little steep, hence four stars instead of five -- at $25 each these become infinitely more desirable -- but the product itself is top notch.
VINE VOICEon January 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lately all kinds of products seem to be packaged with very poor installation instructions, or none at all. That is certainly not the case with this lightweight, slender light strip, which comes with a template to make installation of the screws fool proof. LED can not be beat for brightness and truest color discrimination, or for energy efficiency. Several of these strips in a row would make for a nicely illuminated work surface. Good quality and performance, satisfactory in every way.
VINE VOICEon October 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my first experience with LED lighting though I have been interested in converting from compact fluorescent to this more energy efficient light source. I am very pleased with this product and Amazon's full description of it is accurate and helpful. I am impressed that the LED utilizes only 10 Watts of power while yielding the same effect as a 40-60 Watt light bulb. There is an included caution not to stare directly at the light so that does cause some limitations on it uses. But for me personally because of some rearrangement I made in my kitchen appliances I was in need of some extra light on my counters and this under the cabinet light fits the bill exactly.
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well made - easy to install and use!

Energizer Glas Collection Under-Cabinet LED Light

This Under-Cabinet LED Is very easy to install, following the simple to follow instructions on placement. As indicated in the overview, you can figure where to place it based on where the light falls.

While I only have one light at the moment, it is easy to see how the string of up to seven units can all be integrated. We are using the under-cabinet LED light to brighten a work cabinet in a garage and it does an excellent job. The package says it meets the codes of California Title 24 Standards for energy efficiency, which is an obvious plus. The design of matte-black-based clear acrylic covering and black cord blends in with our space, but it is neutral enough to match most decors.

There is a great deal of additional detail on the package that should be read and is of value relating to light, size and installation that does not need my repeating, but we feel this is a superior unit to others we have had over the years. I am pleased to offer this an excellent recommendation.

Dr. John Hogan