5.0 out of 5 stars This is one bright LED light fixture.
When I converted most of the indoor lighting in the house to fluorescent 10 years ago, there were no other energy-efficient alternatives. Although compact fluorescent is slow to warm up, hard to recycle, bulky to install and short-living to the contrary of manufacturers' claim, one really has to accept all these shortcomings as the price to pay for lower energy...
Published on September 26, 2011 by M. Wang

2.0 out of 5 stars One thing kills it for me...
In the package you will find the light, a power cord for plugging into an outlet, a power cord for connecting another light in a chain to this light, 3 cable management clips, and 2 self tapping screws to mount the light. I didn't find any drywall anchors which might have come in handy for some alternate mounting locations.

The light contains 6 LEDs in a row...
Published on October 2, 2011 by Schwartz

5.0 out of 5 stars Just The Extra Light My Kitchen Needed, October 9, 2011
This review is from: Energizer Household Lighting LED Under Cabinet/Strip Light, #HRGCAB (Tools & Home Improvement)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first experience with LED lighting though I have been interested in converting from compact fluorescent to this more energy efficient light source. I am very pleased with this product and Amazon's full description of it is accurate and helpful. I am impressed that the LED utilizes only 10 Watts of power while yielding the same effect as a 40-60 Watt light bulb. There is an included caution not to stare directly at the light so that does cause some limitations on it uses. But for me personally because of some rearrangement I made in my kitchen appliances I was in need of some extra light on my counters and this under the cabinet light fits the bill exactly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice compact lighting, October 6, 2011
Misa (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great product. It glows a bit more yellow than expected, but it is not a bad hue. Very powerful and lights up a large area. The on/off is easy to find unlike some models with recessed button on/off switches.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy, bright and pleasant, September 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This light is very easy to install--if you have ever mounted a power strip, it's the exact same thing, except this comes with a template so you know exactly where to put the screws. The light that is produced is a very pleasant, somewhat warm light--not that harsh, cold light that is often associated with LED lighting. I verified that while on, it does only draw 10 watts. It runs cool and, while it isn't as bright as my T8 florescent lights, it does put out plenty of light to be mounted over a work station of some sort, whether that's an office desk, a kitchen counter, a garage shop, etc. The housing feels solid and, while I don't intend to throw it around, it looks like it could handle a good whack here and there without any significant damage.

Note that the unit DOES flicker. This is due to the fact that there is no AC to DC conversion and LED lights require the current to go in a single direction. High end LED lights are rectified meaning (roughly) that it flickers at twice the frequency of the input (120 Hz instead of 60). That is a high enough rate that you really don't see it. 60 Hz is low enough that you can. However, if there is a lot of other ambient lighting, you shouldn't notice it very often unless you are very sensitive to it. Generally I have no tolerance to a 60 Hz flicker. I can see it from time to time, but since it is just supplemental lighting, I can live with it. Still, I'm afraid it's enough to drop the rating a star.

You can take up to 7 of these units and link them together, and that's nice for expandability without having as many cords strung all over the place. I'm not sure why 7 is the limit--that would take you to 70 Watts, which isn't very much, especially considering incandescent lights are often 75 or even 100 watts. However, they insist that 7 is the limit. So be it.

All in all, not a bad package. The best improvement would be to integrate an AC to DC converter so that you don't get any flickering and you could also dim the lights. At very least, they should add a rectifier to double the flicker rate. On the other hand, it would add to the price and I don't know that most people would think it was worth it. As for the existing price, you'll have to decide if all these features are worth the asking price to you or not--it isn't super high, but you could probably find cheaper options as well. Personally, I think the asking price is high enough that it should incorporate at least the rectifier as is (just that should not add significantly to the manufacturing price) and possibly even the full AC to DC converter with a dimmer switch.

2.0 out of 5 stars One thing kills it for me..., October 2, 2011
Schwartz (Port Allegany, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The light contains 6 LEDs in a row under a translucent plastic cover to diffuse the light. The light output is bright and I would say the 40W equivalent claim is correct. The light output is on the green-yellow side and not bad for a work area light.

What I really dislike about the light is the frequency of the light output. As soon as I turned it on I knew the light was pulsing. It was really fast but I could notice it.

Back not too long ago in the time of CRT computer monitors when the refresh rate of a monitor was set to 60Hz it would drive me bonkers. I had to run at a higher refresh rate, the higher the better. It always seemed to be a person to person type of thing, some people can notice it and some can't.

Where that little story comes in here is 60Hz happens to be the frequency of household AC power in the US. I didn't think it was coincidence so I tore the light apart to see how it works. Inside I found the following... Using Google to look up the part numbers I determined that the parts inside driving the LEDs consisted of the AC input running into a bridge rectifier aka. diode bridge(converts the AC to DC), a metal oxide varister across the AC input to the bridge rectifier (surge suppression), a fuse (safety), and from the output side of the bridge were traces running to each side of the LEDs. The LEDs were run in series with a resistor (to cut the voltage from the bridge rectifier) in-between each pair. In my research of the bridge rectifier I found that by its nature it outputs a pulsed current and that you can use a capacitor to smooth the output. This simple addition would have gotten rid of the flicker that I see.

I don't know a whole lot about electronic circuits and have no formal training in electronics but I was able to figure this out in a few minutes of research using Google. They had to know this and chose not to include a capacitor on the output to save some money. Otherwise in my explorations of the light it looked to be built well and not put together sloppily.

So in the end my opinion is that if you know that light pulsed at a 60Hz rate bugs you this isn't the light for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opened up the corner!, April 25, 2014
This is as described, packed nicely, and shipped quickly. The hubby installed it easily under a corner kitchen cabinet. Impressed with its construction, he commented that if we ever need to light up other dark corners, to get this again.

We only needed one light, and we used an outlet that was already in the dark corner under cabinets. The toggle switch is very easy to locate and we use it often as a night light or, of course, when cooking in that area.

The LED light (color, illumination) is very different than the others in the kitchen, but not too bright and not too cool (blue). I'm partial to the old incandescent bulbs, so probably wouldn't install a run of these in the kitchen, but in a garage or workshop, they'd be ideal. The light is clear, doesn't emit heat and because it's a long unit with many little LED lights, allows for working with little shadowing. This will last a long time, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sal, NC, January 21, 2014
Best purchase I made with lighting in a long while. I will purchase more soon. Recommend to all who seek kitchen lighting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and bright., November 6, 2012
Very nice bright white light. I want to chain these lights and the connecting cord is too short. I did find a 6 foot extension on amazon that I think can be modified to work. The light comes with B shaped plugs while the extension comes with figure 8 shaped plugs. The 8 shaped male should fit into the B shaped female but on the other end the 8 shaped female will have to be trimmed to fit the B male. This is the extension: SF Cable, 6ft C7 to C8 USA with 18/2 SPT-2 Extension Power Cord. I'll post again after I try this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, easy to install, July 19, 2012
D. Barrett (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
I am impressed. This light is very bright, just as advertised. It was completely simple to install in my closet because it comes with a paper cut-out that shows exactly where to put the screws into the wall. The power cord is a generous 5 feet long and easily reached my outlet. It even comes with three cord-control clips, self-adhesive, to keep the power cord in place.

I must have read 30 reviews of similar lights before deciding on this one. I am completely satisfied with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the light you need, May 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a dark corner i crochet in. This light is small but powerful. I love the way it lights up my entire area but doesnt take up a ton of room. I highly recommend this light to all that have a small corner they need lit up really well

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug & Go With a Nice & Bright Solid Light Output. Prefer This Over Puck Lighting., October 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
PROS:
1 Easy to Install strip light using your existing electrical outlet.
2 Can connect up to 7 strips using included electric cable.
3 Nice, solid & bright light output is superior to the puck lighting that gives you spots of light.
4 Low profile - the light fixture is not visible under my cabinets (I have a 3/4" lip).

CONS:
1 Light fixture has a plug, so if you want to install otherwise, you'll have to modify the cord.

My overall impression of this light fixture is very positive. I can see what I'm preparing and can read small cookbook print using this as an under counter light.

I wish it had been available when I was looking for under counter lighting last year. For a different kitchen, I purchased puck lights American Lighting ALPX60BK 12-Volt Under Cabinet Puck Lighting Kit, Xenon Bulb, 3 Pack, Black, and, while the puck lights are nice and give pretty spot lighting, this Energizer fixture puts out more light & is better suited for a working kitchen.

Update (5/15/12): We have added an additional strip & will probably add a third strip down the road. The included cable was too short for our needs, but my handy spouse spliced the other included (plug-in) cord to create a long enough extension. The outcome was exactly what I wanted. The light output is great.