4.0 out of 5 stars Competes with Duracell

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but not the best value
Published 20 months ago by Michael Lichter

4.0 out of 5 stars Competes with Duracell, April 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used both Duracell and Energizer batteries regularly for many years, and both have performed well. In most cases I will buy whatever is on sale at the time. To satisfy my curiosity, I compared the two batteries in a Stanley workbench flashlight. Both lasted over five hours continuously. As a result, I will continue to buy based on price. I would also add that I have used Rayovac and Maxell alkaline batteries in the past and although they don't seem to last as long, they can be much cheaper if you look for sales. I would recommend this battery for the right price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but not the best value, March 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're a normal person, you've never taken the time to conduct a systematic test of battery life, comparing major brand and store brand alkalines. You might have noticed over time that a particular brand seems to run out faster or leak more readily, but, even then, you can't really be sure that you didn't just get a bad batch, or use those batteries particularly hard, or subject them to more extreme weather.

Personally, I've never noticed a significant difference between Energizer and Duracell, the two top alkaline battery brands. I prefer the clean, bold Duracell design, but I've almost always purchased whatever brand was cheapest.

It's worth noting, however, that Consumer Reports (CR) does not recommend the Energizer Max. (That's not a negative recommendation; it just means the product is not in the top price/performance bracket.) In their latest ratings, they place the Energizer Max well below the regular Duracell Coppertop AA Batteries, 20-Count and the premium Duracell Ultra Power Aa Batteries 16 Count with respect to battery life in cameras and (especially) flashlights. (They recommend a couple other brands in addition to Duracell; if you have a CR online membership, you should look up their battery ratings. For what it's worth, CR does recommend the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA 12 Battery Super Pack.)

I have no complaints about these batteries, but when comparably-priced batteries perform better (as measured by systematic testing conducted by a reputable organization) they're not a wise choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Kind to the Environment (No Mercury!), March 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Batteries. You'd think there's not a whole lot to say, right? Not true in this case.

Most important: they're mercury-free - this is as kind to the environment as a non-rechargeable battery can get. According to Energizer, these are the first mercury-free batteries available on the market since 1991 (here's a good question though: why is that?). Mercury, for those that are unaware, is a toxic heavy metal used in the manufacture of most alkaline batteries, and the leaching of that poison into the environment has been a real problem. A problem apparently solved with these batteries.

Secondly: keeping the green theme, there's minimal packaging here. A plain cardboard box holds two trays of batteries, each in a minimal cardboard tray that has a thin shrink-wrap on it. Really, it's about as small a footprint as one can expect.

Finally: they're great batteries. I haven't loaded up identical objects with competitors' batteries and tested how long they last, but they've certainly seemed to run as long as anything else I've used, even in power-hungry devices.

But it's the mercury-free thing that has me the most stoked. As long as I can get quality batteries without heavy metals, I'm a buyer.

Great job, Energizer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mercury-free batteries made in America, March 27, 2013
B.Willis (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are certainly among the best batteries on the market. Not only is Energizer a top-quality brand, but these specific batteries are mercury-free, which is good for the environment.

But even if you don't care a bit about the environment, they have excellent life and can also be stored for an astonishing 10 years while holding their charge. Oh, and they're made in America and I personally prefer to support companies producing products in my home country.

This is a very solid offering. 5 stars all the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars They worked fine and are a good deal on sale...., April 7, 2014
Maybe it is all the hype I see on the television, but I find that the cooper top batteries ( which at $20 are the same price) seem to wok much better and certainly last longer. Anyway, that is my preference.

The only time I pick these up are when they are a sale, and are way less expensive them Duracell (sorry energizer...I do really like your rabbit though). :)

These,regularly go on sale for under $15, so keep your eyes open. They are a good battery at that price.

4.0 out of 5 stars They produce electricity, October 16, 2013
They are batteries, they produce electricity. They power things. They work and I am happy. These were a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, October 16, 2013
Energizer is as good as everyone says. It holds charge long time compared to generic brands. I purchase them in bulk to save $$, otherwise, they are a little pricey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good brand sold at a good price!, November 15, 2013
I ordered these on sale on a lightning sale for a good price. I use alkaline batteries in our electronics controllers and this is a good brand. The price I paid was about 1/2 of the price in the local stores and shipping was free.

I saved money, saved gas and got a good product at a fair price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Deal of the Day., November 22, 2013
Just checked on the deal of the day from Amazon. You can normally buy the exact same batteries and get a 36 count at Home Depot for 14.98. Don't advertise that it is a great deal. When it doesn't even come close to a deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and a great reputation, December 6, 2014
We normally buy Costco Kirkland batteries but have found them lacking in some applications. They do not seem to hold their charge as long as we would expect in analog clocks. We have many in a collection scattered about the house, and several of them lose time within a month of battery replacement.

We replaced those that wore down with Duracell batteries (always alkaline) and the clocks performed well. I am not an Energizer battery user because I hate that darned rabbit ad, but the price on these was exceptional so we decided to try them. Our hardware store owner believes these Energizer Max batteries are the best batteries he carries. So, I anticipate a long and accurate life for our timepieces, and I hope that goofy rabbit doesn't show up!