Energizer Weather Ready Folding Area Lantern
Price:$18.17 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 16, 2011
We purchased this light for our dog. No really, we did. He accompanies me to the coop daily to check on "his" chickens and close them in for the night. He carries this to light our way. We had to get something with this type of handle so he could carry it in his mouth and shine the light in the correct direction. He is a very good boy but sometimes drops the light and kicks it around with his nose to pick it back up. The light has been used at least once daily for about a year and a half. It has been dropped numerous times on both rocks and cement (from golden retriever height) and still works fine and is still on the first set of batteries. Definitly worth the money, Bouncer gives this a 5 paw ratiing.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 1, 2010
This product is downright amazing! It works great to illuminate a dark room or hallway, such as when a blackout strikes. It works much better than a flashlight in this regard, and is of course, safe unlike unsupervised candles. And best of all, the LED lights are bright and last for days (LED's use much less electricity than fluorescent or incandenscent bulbs) using 4 'D' sized batteries. I love the mirror (which enhances brightness) and the fact that you can swivel the light upwards for 360 degree coverage and illumination. I'm buying two more for my parents and in-laws.
on November 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
We are onto day 12 with no power in NJ after Hurricane Sandy. I had one of these lanterns, along with 3 other lanterns, all different brands. 2 of the other lanterns take 8, that is right, 8 D batteries. And they last about 12 hours. THIS lantern, takes only 4 D batteries, and I have yet to replace any of them. So a few days after Sandy, I went to Amazon, and ordered 3 more of these, paid for the fast shipping, now we have 4. I will throw away the other lanterns. Keep in mind, you can't even find D batteries or lanterns in my area of the Jersey Shore. These lanterns are bright, they are small and light, and the batteries last for a very long time. As a bonus, you can flip the light up and angle it for reading, cooking and washing dishes in the dark (like we are doing in NJ), etc. It is balanced well so you can bend it to many different angles. LOVE THIS LANTERN!!
on January 28, 2008
Very similar in design to the four D-cell fluorescent tube lantern, still sold, which I also like, except the fluorescent tubes on that model burn out. LED model--pros: nice redesign, about the same size but more stable than fluorescent model; uses four D's for long battery life; enough light to read by if LED's are positioned close to reading material; plastic seems rugged; LED's should last forever; has a gentle single-LED yellow night light;--cons: not waterproof, not extremely bright. However, good bang for the buck.
on October 24, 2010
Verified Purchase
No kidding, this is the most versatile and useful home light I have ever owned. I bought this after another one I had for years gave up the ghost. It's versatile stand and lighting features are great when you need light to work in a tight place like inside cabinets when doing plumbing or behind an entertainment center. It allows you to have sufficient light while your hands remain free. It is also a great light if you lose power during a storm. A great combination of no hands flashlight, tight spot work light and lantern. I will always keep one of these lights in my home.
on April 7, 2012
We have two; the first I bought 3+ years ago, the second last year. I'm writing review now, as I'm contemplating buying another.

-It's bright, but it's not like looking into a grid of stadium lights. There are other lanterns that are much brighter, but actually a little too bright for our most typical use: inside during blackouts. We don't need or want something that has hundreds of "lumens" and can throw light 30 feet.
-It's not heavy and has an easy to hold handle.
-The night light setting. During blackouts, we leave it on in bathroom for kids.
-It unfolds for a higher profile. This is helpful when used as light source for an entire room, or as a lamp for reading.
-It's held up to my clumsiness and kids being kids. It's fallen on and off granite counter tops many, many times. This thing is all plastic and you might wonder if it will last. But the kids killed a more expensive and solid-looking brookstone lantern I received as a gift just after I bought this item. (Note: that was a few years ago, and that item has been discontinued, so I'm not making an apples to apples comparison, just a comment on appearance, durability, cost.)
-Remarkable battery life. In fact, I can't remember ever changing the batteries.
-A lot safer than using candles!

Besides blackouts, it's a great toy and safety aid. I've used this while pretending I know what I'm doing under the car hood, under the sink, and behind the TV. I have never set myself on fire or been electrocuted while using this. Your experience may vary.

This doesn't replace flashlights, nor would I rely on just one as my only light source on a family camping trip.

I also own an Energizer solar version Energizer Solar Folding Lantern - SOLRE35BP of this. So far, so good, but I need a little more experience before reviewing it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When I first received this Energizer Weather Ready Folding Area Lantern, I was impressed by its light output. However, I noticed that it gives almost the same brightness in either HIGH or LOW power settings. So I measured its power consumption in all three settings. The result, as shown in the "Input Power vs. Battery Voltage" chart I uploaded to 'customer Images' section, is not pretty.

Here is what I found:
- The Energizer Weather Ready Folding Lantern, like most cheaply built LED flashlights, has ZERO regulation for power. LEDs in this lantern are simply connected to batteries through a series resistor. Therefore its power consumption (and hence brightness) decreases rapidly with lower battery voltage.
- When powered by a set of 4 fresh alkaline D cells (1.5V*4 = 6V), the lantern consumes about 3.2W of power in HI setting. This is probably where the advertised rating of "160 lumens" came from.
- When powered by 4 rechargeable batteries (1.2V*4 = 4.8V), the power consumption drops by 50% to 1.6W
- In LO setting, the lantern simply subtracts a diode drop (0.6V) from the battery voltage. The power consumption is reduced to 2.4W at 6V, 1.0W at 4.8V.
Just for comparison, the MagLite ST3D016 3-D Cell LED flashlight maintains a constant power of 2W at any battery voltage above 3.6V.

The Amazon product description seems to be outdated. It says this lantern has a light output "96 lumens" and runtime of "135 hours". On the package I received it claims "160 lumens*" and "350 hours**", but with the following fine-prints:
"* Light output measured from the LEDs at 50mA driving current"
"** Based of area light use, low setting"

I have problems with both claims, because:
1. It is impossible for this LED lantern to generate 160 lumens at 50mA, as that would require a light efficacy of 1000 lm/W. White LED in the market can achieve at most 100 lumens per watt under real life conditions, maybe 200 lumens under optimal lab conditions. The advertised light output of "160 lumens" has to be measured at 500mA, because 500mA * 3.2V = 1.6W, which give 160 lumens if we assume 100 lm/W
(3.2V = voltage drop across a white LED)

2. This runtime of "350 hours" is completely bogus. Simple energy calculation shows that it is physically impossible to run the lantern at 160 lumens (or even 80 lm) for 350 hours. A typical alkaline D-cell has a current capacity around 18000mAh at light load. So to achieve 350 hours of runtime, the load current has to be just 50mA. (18000mAh / 350 hours = 51mA). That means running the lantern at 10% of its full power.

Bottom Line:
This Energizer Weather Ready Lantern is a disappointing product since it does not have any power regulation. As a result, its LED brightness drops rapidly with lower battery, and you are forced to replace expensive D cells before they are fully depleted. Come to think of it, maybe wasting batteries is exactly what Energizer wants you to do?
review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2011
Verified Purchase
When hurricane Irene hit Connecticut I was without power for a week and this lantern performed flawlessly over many hours of use. It provides enough light to easily light up an entire room. Even though the batteries I had were old, I never had to replace them that week as the LED bulbs use very little power. I liked this lantern so much I bought two more of them in anticipation of the next power outage.
on September 20, 2012
Wow' a lantern I can give a positive review on. First off theres several numbers of this model. 2-3? Its been produced for yrs now.
I purchased FL452WRBP and not the newer FL452WRH because of a few reasons.
1} Nichia-- The words Premium Nichia have been dropped completely from the other two versions advertising. They just advertise it as bright LED's now. Makes me think the original premium Nichia 100k life bulbs are no longer used in this. Could this be the reason for the drastic run time drop too? We all know cheap LED's use more power.
2} MSRP for FL452WRBP was originaly around 50.00. I've seen it even higher as of this review. The FL452WRH version is around 25.00 Now thats half price so they've made cuts somewere to get that low I'm sure.

Who knows why they dropped the nichia LEDs but I believe they did and I believe the nichia's are what gave this light it reputation for burning so long and being so reliable. Time will tell if reviews start to lower and I believe they will. Sort of like everything else though,great when released then the bean counters chime in.
I'll keep you updated on this version. One more thing though.

Attention reviewers: Please match reviews with the correct model numbers on the products. The companies are getting smarter and they are just changing the model numbers when reviews get bad. This item alone has about 3. FL452WRH,FL452W and FL452WRBP. Not that energizer is running from reviews, they are not. However' there's been changes made we cant see and if we make sure the numbers match the products we review on we'll at least have a chance here.
I'll let everyone know about durability on this light for new buyers. Hope you do the same.

Update: Just wanted to add that I emailed Energizer a few times, several days before buying this light. I asked them about still useing the premium nechia led bulbs or switched to cheaper led's ? Its 9/20/12 and they still will not varify this. They did answer my single email asking what batteries it used, within 24 hrs. {I sent that to see if they even answer emails...they do when they want too}. Mums the word on witch led's used today it seems?
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2011
Overall this is a great little lantern. The only issue I have encountered is that the switches to turn it on and off can easily be bumped. If you have this lantern placed on a shelf, then no worries. If you happen to put this in the trunk of your car, like I did, then you may find yourself with dead batteries the next time you go to use it.

I simply turned one of the batteries around in the battery compartment. When I need to use it, swapping it back around isn't a big deal.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations