on July 23, 2010
Verified Purchase
I took it camping last week and it worked great. Not as bright as a propane lantern, but enough light to do the job. Has 3 brightness levels and supposedly lasts 500 hours on the low setting. Handle balanced so the lens can face downward-awesome, as I didn't even think of that. It was unaffected by the light rain we had and the little bonus flashlight on top is fun for the kids.

I'm almost looking forward to the next power outage which is the main reason I bought it. As an experienced camper and hurricane survivor the combination of ease of use, functionality and longevity is the best I've seen!

Update 10/27/10. Well the power went out. We put the lantern on the kitchen table, ate and had a few beers while
my 5-year old ran around with the other light. I forgot to mention the foldaway hook which is a nice touch.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It is a nice lantern with several different modes, but you have to cycle through them all to turn the lantern off. I don't like that. If you don't mind that, it is a nice lantern. Also, from what I have read, the type of switch that it has has a small battery drain, which is not good if you plan to store it for emergency use. I had a lantern with this type of switch and I had to change the batteries every few months. I never figured it out until the reviewer of another lantern mentioned that this type of switch drains the battery.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2012
As someone else pointed out, there is a newer, updated version of the same lantern. Here's how they're different:

Old version:
Color - red.
Has extra, small momentary flashlight held on top of lens case.
Only uses D-cell batteries (no option for small AA-cell batteries).
Batteries changed by unscrewing entire top, lens section (this is due to the need to change the one, center-located standard bulb). The bottom section is not detachable and will not unscrew.

New version:
Color - green (but now red, too).
Later date stamp on hanging hook than earlier version.
No extra small flashlight (this is okay since it seems like it would have gotten lost easily, anyway).
Option to use either AA-cell batteries or D-cell batteries.
Batteries changed by unscrewing bottom of lantern. It's still possible to unscrew the top, lens section as with the older, red version, but it's difficult and there's no reason to do this since the bulbs on the new version are now all LEDs.

The only advantage that I can see for the older, red version is the extra small flashlight in the top of the lens section which seemed of negligible use and would likely get lost quickly. The newer version has all LEDs (instead of having the one, center, non-LED bulb). This seems like a better set-up but maybe there's an advantage to having one, non-LED bulb.

But, to me, the option of being able to use either AA or D cell batteries far outweighed the extra small flashlight and one, non-LED lightbulb. With that said, if you want to have the best of both worlds, the top lens assembly does unscrew on both versions (although it's quite a bit harder to do on the newer version) and you could put the older version top lens section (that has the small flashlight) onto the newer version with the AA or D cell options and all LED lights.

There is another aspect of the 'old' versus 'new' versions that could be a factor, and that is the older version's configuration might be less susceptable to water damage (the entire, lower switch section is sealed). But I really have no way of knowing if this is correct so it's just conjecture.
on December 25, 2010
Verified Purchase
I took the lantern out of the box, pressed the on/off switch, and no go; no lights. Hm...sat on it for a few days thinking i got a "lemon." Then after dinner, I had time to tinker with it. Let's change the batteries, maybe that was the problem. Spent around 5 minutes examining the lantern, how do you take the top part off? Twist, twist, twist. Pry gently (don't PRY, don't PRY).

Finally managed to unscrew the top. You need to have a "good" grip and unscrew the top. There's some sort of rubber gasket/ring between the top part and the bottom part.

When I opened it up...low and behold, the instructions were inside, and paper was BLOCKING the contact between the battery and lantern.

Screwed everything back in, pressed the button, and we have light. 4*-1 star off for the incorrect instruction on how to take off the top to access the batteries. The instructions (pictures) says to lift up or pull up. It should be unscrew.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
From other reviews I had the impression this was a bright lantern, but had I paid attention to the details given on the Amazon sales page I would've noticed it was rated at 55 lumens on its "bright" setting. When I got it I turned it on and was immediately disappointed--this would be fine for reading by if you sit with the lantern and book near each other, but it's definitely not "room-filling" or a lantern you could read by, except sitting very near it. Construction seems solid, though, so if you need a lantern with a light output for simply navigating a dark room in a power outage it's fine--just don't expect to read or play board games with it as your only source of light.
on April 10, 2011
While this is not as bright as a Propane lantern it is one of the brightest battery lanterns I have owned. I bought mine about 5 years ago and it is still on its first set of batteries and going strong with no diminished performance. We go camping for about two weeks every year and this lantern is kept in our gear box otherwise. After using this at every campout that we have been on during the last 5 years I can say without a doubt that this is the best flashlight / battery lantern that I have ever bought. It is well worth the money.

As another review indicated this contains a gasket which seals the lantern and keeps water out. This does however make it difficult to take apart to change the battery if you ever need to or just to check for corrosion on the contacts but a little bit of elbow grease and it comes apart easily enough while still providing a water proof seal.
on July 8, 2011
I collect LED lanterns and torches. I bought this about a year ago and still have not had to change the batteries. I don't use it ever day but have used it a fair bit during storms. I have even used this in place of a flashlight when running outside at night to do something.

The removable light is the only downside because it doesn't really stay put in its spot at the top of the lantern and I am always loosing it. The lantern itself is really well made. I have had no issues with durability.

When you turn it on the first setting is a bright white light bulb in the center the next button press turns that off and turns on some fairly bright LED lights and the final setting is a dim orange LED that can be used as a night light.

There is a hook at the bottom if you want to hang it over a tent or in a tent if you are camping and the handle will swivel all the way around the lantern. I remember it taking me a little while to get the batteries in the right way because you have to unscrew the globe part and not the bottom like most lanterns but after that its easy to use.
review image
on September 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
This lantern is bright, has great battery life, but a poor design. The LEDs face directly towards the top cap of the lantern and as a result, light is not dispersed. These are unidirectional LEDs and really do not direct light outwards like a traditional style light bulb. They only shine light in the direction they are pointing. I took it camping and it was unable to light the ground 3 feet away from me. I would not buy this again.
on October 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have been involved in emergency management as a volunteer for many years. I am also a believer in taking care of my own, so my family is well prepared for emergencies. I thus have numerous lanterns, all of which are more expensive and some that are significantly more expensive than these little guys. I rated these at five stars based upon my initial impressions based upon the price, built quality, the amount and quality of light provided, and the advertised run times. For the money, I think these may be the best kept secrets of the lantern world. Simply stated, they are surprisingly good. Overall build quality is very good. They do not have the feel of more solid lanterns like the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme, but for this price point they are quite solid. Changing the batteries is fairly easy, although the spinning alignment tab makes it a bit of a challenge the first time. It would be difficult to change the batteries in total darkness, but that is the case with all of the lanterns I have sampled. Light output is of a cool white tint, well distributed, and relatively glare free compared to other lanterns. The spacing between high and low is good. Use low whenever possible. While it may not seem that much dimmer your batteries will last much longer. The amber night light is a nice touch and provides enough light for close navigation in total darkness. The only down side is the need to cycle through all of the settings due to the switch design, but again.....This is a very inexpensive lantern so some trade offs are expected. I purchased two of these and may purchase more in the future as they are inexpensive enough to carry in the car without worry about theft or breakage. These lanterns are too large to back pack unless you have a lot of extra space. They are even a bit large for bug out bags. There are better choices....Smaller and lighter lanterns....For those purposes. Still, if you have the room they could work.
Verified Purchase
I'm disappointed to find out that this Energizer Weatheready 360 Degree LED Area Lantern does not have any power regulation at all. The LEDs are just driven by the three batteries, through a series resistor. As a result, its power (and hence LED brightness) is highly sensitive to battery voltage.

According to my measurement:
- When powered by three fresh alkaline cells (combined voltage of 4.5V), the lantern consumes 1 Watt of input power at High; 0.5W at Low.
- When powered by three NiMH rechargeable cells (combined voltage of 3.6V), the input power drops to just 0.4W at High; 0.2W at Low. That means the brightness is also cut by half.

According the package I received, the lantern should produce 160 lumens of light at High mode. I find that hard to believe, because it requires a light efficacy of 160 lumens per watt, which sounds too good to be true. The Amazon description page claims 55 lm at high, 28 lm at Low.

The Amazon description further claims the lantern is "Waterproof to 1 meter". I find that hard to believe, since the lantern body is made of very cheap plastic with rough edges. So I filled my kitchen sink with water, and submerged the lantern in it. To my horror, air bubbles started escaping throughout the lantern: top, bottom and middle. Now there's still some water trapped inside my lantern. I really don't see how Energizer can call this lantern 'Waterproof'.

On the positive side, the LED lantern does work with either three D cells or three AA cells (using the included AA-to-D adapter). So in case of emergency, I can always find some batteries to run it.

Overall, I found this Energizer lantern to be barely acceptable, hence the 3-star rating.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations