Energy 5.1 vs Boston Acoustics MCX130 5.1 So I'm after a nice 5.1 speaker package. I'm definitely set on a speaker package as I'd like the to be matched and can't really afford to put together a setup using shelf/Subs. I am also a light audiophile (that is, a full fledged audiophile but on a budget :P) and it seems that both Energy 5.1 and these Boston Acoustics 5.1 package are rather nice sub $500 speaker packs. I'd like some opinions on which you guys think is better. I realize there is a price difference there but these are my 2 options now that I've drilled down enough.

A bit of background info: I have a media room set up with a PC/consoles/Digital Cable set up all next to each other and all connected to a Samsung 46A650 TV (46", 1080p, 60Hz). The PC is the main movie/audio source and is connected currently connected to the TV via HDMI and to the reciever via TOSLink. This is soon to be upgraded with a high-end audio card. I have an older Yamaha reciever which I AM planning to replace in the future, but incremental upgrades is the name of the game and my speakers are definitely the weak link (mismatched JVCs for surround and two old Yamahas for the front channels - and a really beat up JVC subwoofer - I know, painful) so they need an upgrading first.

As for my usage: Movie are watched here very often, however just as often it is used for music and gaming, but all 5.1s are good for movies. It is music in particular is what I am worried about - I've read a few posts saying that the Energy sub tends to distort music unless you turn the bass down some. Problem is, I LOVE bass heavy music - metal, house/electronic/techno, rap, you name it - if it kicks, I love it. I need to feel a thump in my chest and it seems that the Boston Acoustics will fit the bill better in that situation.

Can someone with experience that loves music as much as I do give me some advice? I don't want to make a buying decision based on one person's review of the Energy system. I'm sure I won't be disappointed with either option, but which one will impress an audiophile most?

THanks for the help!

Cheers! Boston Acoustics Horizon Series MCS130 5.1-Channel Surround Speaker System (Black)
asked by George Nesterenko on July 8, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 answers
A
The Take Classic 5.1 rocks!! You both will be VERY happy. It's amazing the performance out of a $399 speaker system.
Audiophile Bob answered on December 29, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So finally, which one did you end up choosing? I just ordered Energy Classic 5.1 form Amazon. My requirement is for both, listening to TV as well as Music. Now, I am also reading all these great reviews about Boston Acoustics, so am now in little confusion. :-)
aupadhye answered on December 27, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product