5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad I didn't buy a more expensive set!
Paired with inexpensive, high-quality Monoprice 16 gauge speaker wires, these speakers provide amazing sound at a price that can't be beat.

Published on April 23, 2009 by Juniorverse1

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but poor quality control
Published on January 7, 2012 by Braddo

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad I didn't buy a more expensive set!, April 23, 2009
This review is from: Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) (Electronics)

I recently installed an entirely new media center consisting of the Samsung LN46B650 LCD TV, an Onkyo TX-SR606 AV Receiver, these speakers (with Monoprice 16 gauge speaker wires), these inexpensive speaker mounts, HDMI cables that cost less than a dollar each, and a PS3. The sound is amazing! (August 2012 update: These are STILL my primary speakers, I still LOVE them, and I now use a Sony STRDN1030 Receiver with WiFi and Bluetooth.)

I am so glad I didn't buy more expensive speakers than these, because these sound awesome. I was a little hesitant at first because I had never heard of the Energy brand, but after reading the reviews here and on CNET, I gave it a shot and I'm so glad that I did!

Crisp sound, powerful bass... I couldn't ask for anything more. The only complaint I have about these speakers is that the positioning, size, and angle of the 5-way speaker wire connections on the back makes it difficult to use regular sized banana plugs. But I didn't even deduct a star for that because the sound was excellent when I just twisted the wire ends and inserted them bare.

Regular TV sounds awesome. Movies sound awesome. PS3 games like Rock Band sound awesome. Music streamed from my PC to my PS3 sounds awesome.

I recommend these speakers to everyone!

Additional specs you may find useful:
- Satellite speakers weigh 2.9 lbs. each, center speaker weighs 3.2 lbs.
- Speakers are all magnetically shielded
- Recommended crossover frequency on receivers is 100Hz-120Hz. Satellite speakers have frequency response of 115Hz-20kHz, and center speaker 110Hz-20kHz
- Speakers rated at 8 ohms, 100 watts
- Speakers have 1/4"-20 TPI threaded inserts AND old school keyholes for mounting
- Tweeters in all speakers are 3/4 inch Hyperbolic aluminum-dome
- Woofers in all speakers are 3 inch poly-titanium
- Crossover points are 2.9kHz, efficiency room rated 89dB
- Subwoofer has separate volume level, low-pass filter 40Hz-150Hz @ 18dB/octive, Phase setting 0 degrees to 180 degrees, and a power mode switch for ON/OFF/Auto-Off
- Subwoofer is 200 watts with an 8" MPP Cone

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Astonishing!, April 9, 2008
I have recently purchased this system paired with a Denon AVR1508. And all I can say is WOW!

I originally purchased the POLK RM705 package, and kept them all of 2 days, brought those back and got the Klipsch Quintet III paired with the KSW10 subwoofer, on both systems all the satellites' did was nothing but scream at you and the subwoofer distorted at low to medium levels regardless of what I threw at it, music or home theater (KSW10 not quite as bad). Needless to say they went back as well, I know I am picky! I was going to give up on the 5.1 package and go get bookshelf speakers or towers.

However ENERGY has changed my view on the 5.1 kit! ENERGY has also made very nice high end speakers for a while now, which have always been very efficient, crisp and clean, and they have done it again! Music and Home Theater purely sound superb! The satellites' do not scream which helps the subwoofer compliment the overall sound, hence not missing the mid range. This helps in accomplishing the full sound that I believe we all desire.

I do only have one small complaint. I do have to turn the subwoofer down when jamming normal music (stereo 2.1) or there will be slight distortion from the subwoofer, however for the money and the fact the 5.1 systems are pretty much entirely designed for movies... top notch! And a slight turn of the knob once or twice a year when the time calls for really cranking up the volume, not a huge issue!

As far as home theater no subwoofer issues there! The subwoofer produces extremely clean, tight, deep bass, which makes any explosion or thunder shake the couch. The satellites' in any listening configuration are absolutely unbelievable, clean, clear, crisp, enabling you to hear fingers actually sliding over the guitar strings as they are being strummed, incredible!

Do yourself a favor and go listen to these if you are in the market for a 5.1 system and make sure to bring the check book as you will need it, I did!

I hope this helps as this is a fairly new HT system and there are not a whole lot of reviews out there, but the ones that are, seem to agree with mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real home theater and real value, April 13, 2009
I have been a home theater hobbyist/enthusiast since 1989. In that time, I have setup over a dozen systems for myself, friends, and family with budgets ranging from $500 to $20,000. I have seen a lot of speakers come and go over the years. I personally prefer full-range speakers, but have always admired the sound that the Energy Take series has put in a sat/sub package. However, I never felt that the price/performance was right - until they came out with this Take Classic 5.1 package with the subwoofer now bundled in at one low system price.

I currently have these setup in my 10' x 11' home office, serving their duty in a computer media and gaming sound system. They are being driven by an old Yamaha RX-V 995 5.1 receiver and the combo sounds shockingly good given the relatively small investment. It has totally exceeded my expectations. For a smaller room (10'x10' to 12'x15'), I have to say that this Energy Take Classic combo produces the best sound for the money of the many speakers I've installed and used over the years.

Overall build quality is top-notch which was completely unexpected for me given the low price. I can't see where Energy has cut any corners - if they did, they hid it well. The system has, by far, the nicest fit and finish of any speaker I've seen anywhere close to this price range. The system comes carefully boxed in styrofoam cut-outs, with the speakers individually wrapped with foam sheets and then again in thick plastic. The result is a high-gloss black finish that is FLAWLESS.

As far as installation goes, the speaker binding posts are quality, gold-plated, all-metal screw-type. Home Theater mag review says bananas are accepted but mine were too big so YMMV on that. Wall or ceiling-mount options are plentiful with each speaker supporting both key hole and threaded insert style brackets. I used the threaded insert to mount mine and it worked perfectly and securely. The subwoofer has the typical L/R line level RCA inputs, variable volume control and crossover adjustments. There is also a two-way phase toggle (0, 180 degrees) and a three-way power toggle (on, off, auto). Speaker level input (but no high-pass output) is also supported.

Overall the sound is impressive given the small size. As expected with any micro/sub system the mid-bass region of the frequency spectrum is a little thin. However, the midrange performance of the 3.5" titanium mid-driver makes up for a lot of that with velvety clear vocals. Center channel dialog comes through very clearly - a feat that not many speakers in this price range can claim. The satellites do an equally excellent job with music and sound effects. While the 8" sub will not shake your home's foundation, it is more than enough to fill a small room with rich (not boomy) bass. The clarity and smoothness of the 3/4" aluminum tweeter is most impressive and is on par with systems costing 3-4x more in my opinion. The speakers all have the same drivers in the same arrangement which yields a totally seamless sound field (the THX demo DVD really highlights this capability). I was also impressed with how well these speakers perform with all types of music from Jazz to New Age, to Pop, to Rock. These speakers make it all sound fantastic, which is indicative of what they are: an extremely well-designed, highly refined speaker system.

In summary, this is not your Mom's home-theater-in-a-box, folks. This is the real deal! This system is capable of putting out a good deal of high-quality sound in a high-quality package for a very small price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxurious sound for an amazing price, February 15, 2009
I recently plunged into the HD market -- bought a Samsung LCD (A550), a Sony Blu-ray player (350 model), an Onkyo TX-SR606, and these speakers. I did tons of research on TVs, BDPs, receivers, and speakers. I found 3 audio/video websites that had reviewed the Energy speakers. Google "Energy 5.1 Take Classic review" and you'll find them.

Aside from what the reviews say, I fell in love with these speakers for their elegantly simple design (they look great with my TV). They are nothing flashy, and since I've owned them (about 6 months now), none of my friends have commented on my "cool-looking speakers." But they HAVE commented on the sound. They sound very fresh, alive, and well-rounded. Movies sound terrific -- the multi-channels blend seamlessly together and create this living, breathing soundfield. And like the professional reviewers say, music sounds especially good. In 5-channel stereo mode, it is bliss for my ears.

I live in an apartment in New York City, so my living room isn't exactly huge. These speakers fill my space wonderfully. I'm not sure how far you could push the volume in a bigger room, but I have yet to push these too far, and I've listened to many movies at a pretty loud volume (my poor neighbors...).

After living with these for half a year, I couldn't be happier. This just might be your best bet at getting amazing 5.1-channel sound without buying large expensive speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpassed Expectations, November 5, 2011
I purchased the Energy system in August of this year and am extremely impressed with its performance.

I should preface this review by disclosing that I am a heavy researcher, my wife says bordering on compulsive. Whenever I am considering a large purchase I plot and plan for weeks, scouring reviews and forums pertaining to whatever product it is I'm interested in. My aim in this research is to get the best possible value for my money. Essentially I really like nice "stuff." After enduring roughly two years of shallow, boxy sounds emitted from my Samsung home theatre in a box, I decided it was time to kick it to the curb. I wanted a system offering rich, full sound to complement the picture of my TV. And the researching commenced. . .

I initially heard about the Take Classic system from a cursory browsing of CNET. Being a Amazon Prime fanatic, the Amazon reviews were the obvious next step in the process. Five stars with so many reviews? I was confused. I decided to cross reference several different website's reviews looking for bias. After not finding any such thing, similar products were scrutinized in the same manner. Obviously, I ended up going with Energy--which was actually my initial choice anyways.

With the speakers I purchased and paired the Pioneer VSK-1021K receiver, which I'm also very pleased with. Other system components include: 12 gauge speaker wire, high quality HDMI and subwoofer cables and the Atlantic Satellite speaker stands for the fronts.

I must admit I was initially a little underwhelmed with the performance of the speakers. I had spent several hours cleanly running all the cables into the attic, under carpet and connecting everything to the receiver via banana plugs; why didn't it sound better? I listened to all matter of media over the course of the next few weeks; adjusting speaker levels, auto calibrating everything and generally fretting. Yet still, the sound was tinny. Disconcertingly so with female vocalists, which would produce a shrill sound from the tweeter resembling static. I read on Energy's website that there was a "break in period" that must be followed. I decided to leave music, tv, etc. playing throughout the day in order to break them in before my return period expired (a course of action I was seriously considering.) However, as the hours of play time wore on I started to notice a change in the sound stage emitted from the speakers. The room was starting to be filled with increasingly rich sound.

After several months of the usage I am blown away by the performance of these speakers. They are now incredibly warm when playing music and the aforementioned "problem tweeters" resonate with a silkiness previously inconceivable. They excel in cinema watching as well producing good bass response and a well-balanced center channel. The subwoofer, although small, is well paired with the system producing clear and concise lows. None of this overpowering, floppy and out-of-sync bass commonly experienced with larger $200-500 subwoofers.

For the size of my living room (roughly 15x20) these speakers fill the room with sound quite impressively.

As many other reviewers have noted, the binding plugs won't accept banana plugs; although the posts themselves crimp quite well on the speaker wire--so not a worry to me. Another point I'll echo from some of the reviewers is the importance of setting up your receiver properly. Set the speaker size to "small" and crossover around 100-110HZ if not auto calibrating. As a matter of preference I have the subwoofer crossover set at 130HZ and volume around 80%.

Being a connoisseur of good value I'll say overall I'm very impressed with this system. It rivals speaker systems in the $1500 range, as I've witnessed on several occasions. If you pair it with a GOOD receiver and observe proper break-in you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but poor quality control, January 7, 2012
I purchased this speaker set based on the reviews I found here and all over the internet. After hooking up the speakers I found that the tweeter in the center channel speaker and in one of the satellite speakers was not working. The non-functioning tweeters issue wasn't immediately noticeable to me. However when running my receiver's speaker setup and calibration program I noticed that two of the speakers sounded much different, very flat, when test tones were played through them. Being impatient I didn't want to wait for the speakers to be exchanged so I disassembled one to see if I could find the problem and fix it myself. I disconnected the internal wiring, inspected the cross-over and tested the tweeter by connecting it directly to the speaker wire. Everything seemed fine, the tweeter itself worked and there was nothing visibly wrong that I could see. I put the speaker back together, reconnected it to my system and now it was working just fine. I repeated the process with the other non-functioning speaker and got the same result. My only guess is that the red paint used to mark the positive terminal on the tweeter is too thick and insulates the connection (as part of the inspection process i scraped some of the paint down on the terminal).

Anyway once I got all the speakers working I was very happy with my purchase. The satellites have great full clean sound like all the reviews suggest. The subwoofer blends well, plays low and can reach surprisingly good output levels considering it's size and cost.

I give these a three star rating because while the sound is excellent I feel it is unacceptable that two of the five speakers didn't work out of the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound., November 4, 2011
I tried many sets before this. I had the Infinity's TSS-800 and the TSS-1200 before I bought the Energy. And man, am I happy! These speakers sound great! The bass is deep and solid, no distortion at all. The highs sound crisp and clear and mids are rich. I'm currently using them with a Denon 1912 receiver.

Couple of things you should know before you buy though:

First, these speakers ship without speaker wire, so make sure you buy some and a sub cable as well. I bought RCA AH1650SN 50 Ft. 16-Gauge Speaker Wire and Belkin PureAV AV20500-25 25-Foot Subwoofer Audio Cable. You may also need some stands, I'm currently using Atlantic Satellite 77305018 2 Speaker Stands (Black).

Second, regular size banana plugs don't work on these speakers. I don't even think these are meant to be used with banana plugs. The plastic caps on the connection terminals were pretty tight and I had a hard time removing them, once I did, I tried to connect the plugs, only to find out that the openings on the terminal are smaller than regular.

All in all. Extremely happy with this set. Movies sound great, video games like Gears of War, Dead Space and Batman Arkham City among others, sound excellent. Same for all music genres.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, great for movies, not so much for music, February 4, 2011
Cris (Grayslake, IL) - See all my reviews
We finally switched out our great room tv..good news there, bad news is there is no space for my old tower (Infinity IL50s). While we watch TV and some movies here we also listen to music (CD,s Pandora, Slacker, Palladia and music DVD's).

Long story short: The speakers sound really good for TV and movies, clear, tight, plenty of bass...problem is the sound is not "full" for music.

I read the reviews from others that have very good floor standing speakers and gave these rave reviews. I imagine they meant "great sound for the money" because it would be hard to imagine somebody used to hearing great sound could deal with missing the "full" sound. After the break in period and listening to them for a week we almost got used to it..until we plugged in our old beasts and find the music we've been missing ( our old bookshelf speakers sound better). You really only notice this with music. The part I am talking about is the midrange. The highs are excellent and clear and the bass is also great..the fullness is missing in the middle.

We have a 5.1 Infinity Modulus 2 (discontinued) system in our theater room and it totally blows these away...so I know small satellite speakers can give me the sound I want, just not these. Important to note the Modulus 2 retail was $2K. Having said all that, These blow away the smaller Klipsch sats and Bose, maybe even better than the small (600 series) Definitive Tech we listened to at Abt.

If you love music, like to watch Palladia or music on TV (there is so much on TV now..Slacker, Pandora) my suggestion would be to save up and get a better system..A great set of speakers will last you many years. Energy makes excellent speakers and they have excellent offerings... for more money. If you cannot see yourself spending $1200 + on speakers or must have small ones, these will be a great choice. I give these 4 stars for being a great speaker for the money and great with movies. I give them a 3 for music.

My search continues.

MISC: I use an Onkyo HTRC260, kept the speakers about 10 inches away from the wall (they have rear ports), set up audyssey a few times including after they broke in (noticeable difference). Speakers I have and love: Infinity: Modulus 2, Interlude IL50's, Overture 1s.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent find!!, July 7, 2008
Well, I brought this set 1 month ago. Works very well. The speakers r small and unobtrusive. The sound from the drivers are excellent not tinny as u might expect. The speakers r made in china for anyone who thought they were made in canada. I guess ow they keep costs down. The binding posts can accomodate 14g wire and r compatible with most speaker mounts. I broke them in for 1 week playing them continuously, they have really opened up. Good dynamic range, no tonal coloring, no artificial frequency push, pretty neutral overall. low distortion on the sub( the 8inch sub matches well with the small sats- larger sub might have left a frequency gap) I have been into audio for 20yrs now, and have owned or do own items from cambrige audio, arcam, b&w, paradigm, tannoy, Jmlab, marantz, mission, classe', sony ES, dennon, onkyo etc. While not in the league with full bookshelf or tower speaker setup, this is a good compromise for people wanting excellent sound for the money and unobtrusive design. Before i bought this i looked at similarly priced polk, jbl, infinity and yes even the bose am6 ( usually i dont go to best buy- but this is a bedroom system for me and i didn't want to spend bucketloads)This was the best- the jbl sounded flat/fat whilst the infinty, polk was pushy in your face car stero like. The am6 was very disappointing, it lacked bass. ( no powered sub u see) even with wall enhancement in a corner the bass was weak for my bedroom.
go out and buy it! it wont dissapoint u.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound (especially for the price), October 5, 2008
These are great speakers that sound terrific! I've these connected to a Denon 3808. I'm not an audiophile, so I can't spout stats to back up all my claims, but since sound is as much experience as statistics, here goes:
The sats are really compact and look very sleek (polished/shiny black) and hardly 3 lbs. They can go anywhere pretty easily. The sound from the center channel and the sats beats anything else I've heard. (As a comparison, I could tell that the sound deteriorated with Bose at medium volumes.) Even at very high volumes the sound retains its tone and clarity. The subwoofer functions exactly as it should - more noticeable when it's off than when it's on.
I shopped around at Magnolia, Best Buy & Circ City for various speakers, and I can tell you with confidence that if you're in the market for compact speakers and awesome sound without spending thousands, this is the system for you.

I do have two minor complaints - both to do with the 5-way posts. First, the speakers are supposed to have 5-way posts, but I couldn't figure out a way to use banana plugs and had to settle for screwing down the speaker wire. Second, one of the posts was screwed down so tight (out of the box) that to open it up, I had to actually open up the speaker (forget the details) and then carefully get this post to function again.

Overall - an easy speaker to recommend. And, the price can't be beat! Don't waste your time on expensive, overly marketed systems - just buy Energy.

Rate and Discover Movies