4.0 out of 5 stars FULL OF ENERGY AND BLAZING SOLOS

3.0 out of 5 stars Great player, good band, bad sound quality
Published on January 8, 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars FULL OF ENERGY AND BLAZING SOLOS, April 10, 2000
This review is from: Energy Radio Broadcast (Audio CD)
This is an awesome double disc showcase of Tommy Bolin's favorite band in concert. There is a major drawback though, the sound quality isn't the greatest. Yes, it's better than both of Bolin's 1976 concerts(Live @ Ebbet's and Under The Northern Lights), but not by much. The performance itself blows the above 2 shows away, Tommy jamming away at mostly blues and fusion classics. There aren't that many Bolin penned songs to begin with, I think the only one is Hok-A-Hoy. There may be one other too. It's a real treat hearing some earlier works like Whiskey Headed Woman, Lady Luck, Dreamer and Boogie Chillin' a few years before they became studio cuts and searing live staples. In all, a must own for dedicated Bolin fans only you have to bear with the fair to poor sound quality. LONG LIVE TOMMY BOLIN!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great player, good band, bad sound quality, January 8, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Energy Radio Broadcast (Audio CD)
If I really listen hard, I hear a great CD but the sound fluctuates and suffers in so many places that it's hard to believe they released this. I guess it's better than not being able to hear Tommy at all though, and this band smokes. I'm not a big fan of his songs or singing (I didn't like Private Eyes at all), mostly just his playing, and you get a lot of it here as the band jams away on blues and some of their own fusion and rock stuff. You can really hear Tommy strangling the heck out of his strat and playing like he's possessed. In other places it's mellow and pretty. I'd say the highlights are Downstretch from the first disc and Loop Garoo, Dreamer and Boogie Chillen from the second disc. I wish there was a way to get this material sounding even a just a little better, but I trust the folks at the Tommy Bolin archives did all they could and I'm greatful to be able to have this. There are enough moments to make it worth the purchase for serious fans.
Try Ebbett's Field '74. The sound quality is better and Tommy is SCREAMIN'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Yet, December 2, 2011
This review is from: Energy Radio Broadcast (Audio CD)
I was one of those kids in the 70s with a transistor radio and one ear plug listening to whatever decent rock tunes made it onto my fm band. So this recording, despite its previously mentioned audio shortcomings, is top-notch enjoyment in my book. I'd not steer you away from it, especially if you're an avid collector or someone looking for something cool and unusual. The audio issues add charm and nostalgia, for me. And Tommy tears it up as usual.

Energy Radio Broadcast
Energy Radio Broadcast by Tommy Bolin (Audio CD - 1999)