5.0 out of 5 stars Best torchiere floor lamp
I had been looking for a long time for the perfect lamp. I'm so glad I found this one. It gives a lot of light, if you want, or just a glow if you want to set a mood.
Published on December 19, 2009 by Marjory T. Hickey

1.0 out of 5 stars uses non-standard bulbs
Published on January 4, 2011 by Ben

5.0 out of 5 stars Best torchiere floor lamp, December 19, 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars uses non-standard bulbs, January 4, 2011
This review is from: Energy-Saving CFL Torchiere Floor Lamp
I bought this hoping that it would have standard bulb sockets in both the side lamps and the top. I was most afraid of the old school pin base CFL's that mate to a magnetic ballast, but I was more hopeful after I read a customer's review that described screwing the bulbs in. Alas, Lamps Plus web site has no specifications, so I ordered it and hoped it would be right. Sure enough, there's a non-standard lamp socket in the top. You have to use GU26 bulbs. Ever seen those? If you're particular about the light quality, you can't be with this lamp as made. You're pretty much stuck with the 2700k 82CRI garbage they ship with this lamp. If you ever need replacements you'll probably have to buy them online because the grocery store, hardware store, home warehouse store, wally world and bulk clubs don't stock GU-24 bulbs. In my case, I won't tolerate 82CRI CFL's at all, so I'm going to have to rewire the lamp for a standard socket. It won't fit three in the bowl, but one or two which is why they used the short GU-24 socket anyway.

Other than that, my lamp arrived in a very secure corrugated carboard and styrofoam carton. It was undamaged in shipping. However, the lamp base has a small dent on it which must have happened prior to packaging.

The rotating switches on the lamps, there's three, are very poor quality plastic garbage.

Other than the non-standard GU-24 bulb sockets, the dent, and the especially poor switches, the lamp is everything you would expect for the price category. I would categorize this lamp in the second cheapest category, which features some decorative attributes (for example it goes with brushed steel/nickel accents). The only less expensive category would be purely utilitarian, suitable for the shop, garage or barn and less than a hundred dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Energy Saving Lamp, December 26, 2010
This review is from: Energy-Saving CFL Torchiere Floor Lamp
We ordered this CFL Lamp to better illuminate our 25x20 foot family room. The Lamp arrived within 3 days of order (early December) in perfect condition. The assembly required was minimal; only attaching the components by screwing them together. The finished product is clearly very sturdy. The finish for the Lamp is a very smooth brushed aluminum. The smaller adjustable lamps articulate and can be positioned easily to vary the lighting effect in the room. The achieved lighting effect is very, very satisfying, and actually brighter than the overhead 3 CFL bulbs we have attached to the ceiling fan. Overall, a great purchase and I would highly recommend this product and would purchase it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid and Bright Lamp, December 24, 2010
This review is from: Energy-Saving CFL Torchiere Floor Lamp
We love this lamp so far. Had it about a month. It is beautiful, solid, and bright. Assembly was easy. It is all wired but the sections need to be screwed together. You simply lay the sections out in line on the floor. Then starting at the base, screw each section into the previous until all are assembled. The three fluorescent bulbs snap into place at the top, and you are done.

The only negative comment I can make is that the switch on the pole seems a little flimsy. I'd like a more solid switch, but as long as it works I will have no complaint.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many flaws for the price, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Energy-Saving CFL Torchiere Floor Lamp
I bought this lamp to replace a standard halogen torchiere to use less electricity. The best thing about this lamp is the design. The top takes three GU26 bulbs which are included with the lamp. As you turn the knob, the lamp cycles on 1, 2 and 3 bulbs, giving you three options for brightness. At it's brightest, it is very bright and all you will need for a normal-sized room. The two lights on the side have a standard socket (bulbs not included), which means you can use compact fluorescent or a generic incandescent bulb. These are nice if you just want a reading light without lighting up the entire room. The lamp looks good, has a nice heavy base and is made of quality material.

This lamp has several problems that prevent me from giving it a high rating. On my lamp, the point where the pole screws into the base and the point where the top of the pole screws in to the bottom are not set right. If I try to screw it tight, the screw slips. So I have to screw it down just barely enough so it's not leaning, and then every time I move or bump the lamp it comes loose again and I have to reset it. Also, there's a white coating on the inside of the two side lights that flakes off when it is touched. And, as some other people mentioned, the knobs on the lamp are made of cheap plastic. That's might not be a big issue, but they feel like they could break after too much use.

This would easily be a 5 star lamp if it didn't have those problems. It would be a 4 star lamp if it had those problems but was much cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lamp!, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Energy-Saving CFL Torchiere Floor Lamp
Just what I expected. I bought it as a gift and the recipient loved it. It is very sleek and beautiful. Very easy to assemble. The energy saving CFL is a huge plus for the energy conscious user.

Energy-Saving CFL Torchiere Floor Lamp