5.0 out of 5 stars truly a warm color - and a real time saver
I picked up these lights at a much cheaper price than currently displayed ($26.99). They are the nicest "clear" LED Christmas lights I've seen. The color of the light is pleasing and a good approximation of a classic incandescent clear mini Christmas light. These do not have the bluish tinge to them that affect so many of the cheaper brands.

The light is...
Published on November 28, 2009 by J. York

2.0 out of 5 stars A word of Caution!
I ordered these 'warm' LED lights because we needed new Christmas lights for the house. They showed up on time and we put them up as soon as the weather was nice enough.

Published on December 17, 2009 by Homeowner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A word of Caution!, December 17, 2009
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights

The problem was when we turned them on, the shade of color they emmited was inconsistent between strands. It did not look right at all. Some strands appeared 'warm' and others were 'cool' white. If they were all the same color we may have kept them.

Just be aware that this could be a potential problem for anyone considering these. Wanted to let you all know to hopefully save people some stress and aggravation.

This review is for the lights only. Amazon Customer Service can't be beat. They were awesome as usual, and offered a full refund. I wish other companies would follow their example!

5.0 out of 5 stars truly a warm color - and a real time saver, November 28, 2009
J. York (Cypress, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights

The light is much brighter than with my old incandescent lights

There are three important features that drove me to upgrade to these:

1) individual bulb circuits -- if a single bulb goes out or is removed, NONE of the others go out. This will save me an hour or two each season as I won't have to hunt for the needle in the haystack burnt out/broken bulbs. This is a very important feature for me- I'm willing to spend a lot extra for this feature.
2) energy savings. Lighting my garage with incandescent bulbs took over 500 watts of electricity. Using a kill-a-watt, I measured these (14 packages) at 56 watts. This is less than a *single* strand of incandescent bulbs (which I measured at 67 watts). Granted, with the cheap cost of electricity and limited use that these see, it would take many years to recoup this investment. But it does simplify your extension cord routing as you can plug so many of these into each other without additional extension cords.
3) end-to-end plugs - some of the cheaper LED Christmas lights do not have an extra outlet on each end. This is a major hassle as you then have to route extension cords all of the place and make use of additional power splitters. These don't suffer from this as they have a plug on the end of each cord.

Caveats: as part of the cost shell game, these come in different sizes than what you'd usually buy. Instead of 150 bulbs, you now only get 100. That is meant to help the sticker shock but the fact is, you still have to buy the same number of bulbs overall which means you end up buying more packages.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rain or snow = rusty, shocky and dim, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
The first year I put them up I was pleased with the fact that they seemed more durable than the ones made of glass. And the savings on the power bill would be a plus as well.
The reality is the first time it rained you could expect them to fill up, turn yellow / rusty and of course trying to troubleshoot which one might be causing all the rest to dim expect a shock.

We picked these brand name, GE expensive lights because there is nothing I hate more than fixing lights once they are up on the house. Well, problem not solved.

They only lasted one season, and barely that. Since the annual power savings is supposed to be about a $1.50 and the cost is about $15 more than normal lights, it doesn't add up.

Can you say "recall"

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last one season, December 3, 2011
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
I bought these at Costco for the house. I put up seven. After 2-3 weeks 2 strings had burned out. This year when I pulled them out of storage 4 of the seven strings did not light up at all. I checked the fuses as suggested by the instructions. The fuses were fine. I was livid. I had paid a premium thinking these would last longer than the standard lights. They didn't. The other strings each had about 2-3 lights burned out which I replaced. That said Coscto lived up to their guarantee and I was able to return them. Kudos to Costco.

1.0 out of 5 stars Led icicle lights, February 11, 2010
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
We bought these for there energy efficiency . They were nice to look at, but by the end of a months use strands of lights were out and because it had rained the bulbs filled with water and turned yellow. We had to return all of the them back to the manufacturer for repair, they replaced them with new ones. We are hoping this doesn't happen again next year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't work in freezing temperatures, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
I bought 34 sets of these this year to go LED so I could put more lights on the house. The color is good, a true white instead of a bluish tint. The problem is they work great if the outdoor temp is above freezing. Watch out if it goes below freezing. When it does the strands will either do two things - the intensity goes to only about 50% or the whole strand will stop working. When the temp goes back above freezing they start working again. I guess they would be great for Christmas in July. I won't buy these again and I did return all 34 sets after I took them down after Christmas. If your house is like mine you don't really want to pull the 40' ladder out every other day to check strands that are not working. Big thumbs down!

1.0 out of 5 stars I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
I spent over $500 dollars on 17 strings of GE icicle lights (so much for trying to be eco-sensitive) from a local Costco in 2009. In 2010, I had to fix over 10 sockets and replace the bulbs. The wires associated with the LED lamps rusted and deteriorated, and the sockets were equally effected. This year (2011), one string won't work at all and nine (those I've tested and repaired thus far) required restoration of 12 sockets and installation of 12 new bulbs. I stopped at that point, three hours wasted; I couldn't waste another three hours on testing and fixing the remaining strings. I've requested GE honor their 5 year replacement guarantee, but have yet to hear from them. What's more frustrating than the uncertainty of waiting for warranty satisfaction is the potential (nay, likelihood) I'll have to spend another $500 switching back to standard bulb icicle strings for next year (yes, this year's a write-off). All of this is to share that unless GE has made material and design changes to this product (i.e., uses metal components in a product intended for exterior use that won't rust, and makes a more water resistant socket), DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! As with a previous reviewer, I only wish I could rate this product "zero" stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Plain BAD, December 3, 2012
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
Bought these from Costco at a very good prices. I mistakenly put up 6 strands in a row only to find out that like other reviewers have said, every strand of lightis is a different shade of white. Needless to say i am very disappointed, and they will be returned to the store. I want my 2 hours back that I just wasted with these lights!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not last, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
If I could give zero stars, I would. I also purchased these lights at Costco and after initially putting them up, they look great. They have a warm, not bright look to them and function well. Beware, they will not last and here are the issues:

1. After the first season, like several other reviewers have mentioned, the wires begin to rust and bleed into the lights turning them yellow. These should be recalled. I've never seen anything quite like it.

2. The plastic caps that cover the lights also begin to fall off easily. They will end up in your gutters, on the ground and who knows where. After a day of rain you can pull off all the plastic caps and empty the rusty water out of them if you'd like!!!

I have forced myself to get another season out of them, but after Christmas is over they are going in the garbage. LED are much more efficient and have a long bulb life, but considering how expensive they are, I've lost a lot of money.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE LIGHTS!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality from GE, December 19, 2011
Scott P. Wisniewski (Adrian, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ge Energy Smart 100 LED Icicle-style Warm White Lights
I also had purchased these lights at Costco this year. All 23 strings have been up for about 3 weeks. Many of the plastic covers on the bulbs have come loose and fell off leaving the LED itself exposed. One string stopped working all together. On close inspection, the bulbs that did not light had broken wires at the base of the bulbs. I have contacted GE @ 1-866-489-0019 and was told to send them back to them. I paid over $400.00 for these lights and to send them back will cost additional money. So now I'm in contact with Costco to get a resolution to this problem.

I would say definitely do not purchase any of these until GE issues a recall an fixes the known issues.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›