4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to mix, no film - the old "classic" formula is back!
Published on May 4, 2012 by Justbooking

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible changes made to this product. Parents beware!
Published on September 27, 2011 by Dad from Oregon

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible changes made to this product. Parents beware!, September 27, 2011
I was raised on Enfamil as far back as 1970, so Enfamil has been in my family for a long time. When my wife and I had babies, I knew which formula I wanted for them when they were ready. Even the hospital staff and our pediatrician recommended Enfamil. We used it for about 12 months before Enfamil changed their product, and for 2 months after the "new & improved" formula.

With the new formula, Enfamil switched to corn syrup solids, which is essentially the same sugar as high fructose corn syrup (just in a solid, powder form). If you check Wikipedia or any other online resource for corn syrup solids, you'll find the same info.

Enfamil increased the amount of sugar in their new formula to make it "taste better". There is nearly twice as much sugar as protein now, and the corn syrup is one of the main ingredients (2nd ingredient, if I'm not mistaken). So instead of giving your infants & toddlers a good, healthy, protein-rich meal, you're giving them lots of sugar and then some secondary sustenance.

Within 2 days of starting my girls on the new Enfamil formula, I noticed their nap times diminish, mood swings increase and overall happiness decline. There was little to no GI difference, but the outward behavior was definitely affected - tired, whiny, moody, less smiley, etc.

As soon as I discovered the fact that the new Enfamil was so high in corn syrup (about 7 weeks later, much to my personal disappointment), I immediately switched to a 100% organic formula from Whole Foods (also found on Amazon). Within 2-3 days, my girls were back to normal - happy, cheerful, napping for hours like before and looking brighter.

I'm not a doctor or scientist, and I'm definitely not some hippie-organic nut, but I directly attribute the change in mood/health to the fact that Enfamil's formula is now packed with sugar like it's some soda or Snapple-esque drink for babies. It's like when some mega-sugar cereal boasts that is it "fortified with 7 vitamins", but you know it's a bunch of marketing baloney and that each bowl is rife with sugar.

Do yourself a favor and look out for this scenario with your kids. If you *must* buy Enfamil, maybe check with a doctor to see if the corn syrup is really recommended for your growing babies and toddlers. Babies need the best possible nutrients.

Think twice before loading your babies up with unnecessary sugars. Think twice before buying this Enfamil product; at least until someone at Enfamil fixes their huge mistake of changing a good formula for the worse.

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 12:50:37 PM PDT
Hello, and thank for you choosing Enfamil for your family! We're sorry to hear that you switched. In January 2012, we reintroduced our previous formulation of unflavored Enfagrow Stage 2 Toddler Formula. Most recently, in June 2013, we re-formulated our Enfagrow Toddler Transitions to include our Natural Defense Dual-Prebiotics Blend. Our Natural Defense Dual Prebiotics blend is designed to help support the development of your baby's natural defenses.

Corn syrup solids are included in some of our products as a source of carbohydrate. Many health care professionals encourage families to limit their intake of sugars, including corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup, because of increasing obesity rates. When a health care professional has encouraged a family to limit their intake of corn syrup, it is because it is often used in foods of limited nutrient quality, such as candy or soft drinks. Corn syrup solids are not the same as high-fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup have a sweet taste, whereas the corn syrup liquids and the corn syrup solids we add to our infant formulas have a sweetness level similar to lactose, the main carbohydrate in breast milk. Infant formula is designed to provide all the nutrients your baby needs. I hope that you found this information helpful, and that you will consider Enfagrow in the future!

1.0 out of 5 stars NEW and IMPROVED .. NOT!, July 2, 2011
I have a major concern regarding your NEW and IMPROVED PREMIUM TODDLER milk formula. I know MANY parents have already expressed their complaints regarding A.) FLAVOR B.) NEW FORMULA and C.) AVAILABILITY OF THE OLD PREMIUM TODDLER FORMULA. My daughter is a picky eater and so I rely on ENFAGROW Premium Toddler formula to supply her all the nutrients she may be missing bec of that. I am referring to the OLD FORMULA. Bec of this, we ordered 6 cans of the OLD FORMULA frm Amazon.com but was shocked to see that what they sent us are the NEW AND IMPROVED TODDLER FORMULA. After reading the ingredients, it didn't take long before my suspicion becomes true. As soon as my daughter tasted it, she shoved the milk away and WOULD HAVE ANY OF IT. CORN SYRUP ON A TODDLER FORMULA?? Let me go by saying that she drinks a lot of milk everyday. And today, she would HAVE NONE OF THE NEW AND IMPROVED ONE. It didn't help that it was GREASY AND LEFT FILM! So my MAJOR CONCERN is now, IS THE OLD FORMULA STILL GOING TO BE AVAILABLE? Its such a shame how enfagrow would change something that WORKS SO WELL FOR MANY OF OUR CHILDREN. It would help us so well if you would give us the option to buy either the old formula or the new one. We tried the older toddler vanilla flavor. Same reaction. We ended up asking for a refund. AMAZON is gracious enough to issue us a full refund of the 6 cans we ordered through them. WE ARE VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED with your company for having changed something that WORKS SOOO WELL TO MANY CHILDREN and not GIVING US, THE PARENTS THE OPTION TO CHOOSE WHICH TODDLER FORMULA WE CAN GIVE TO THEM. We rely on your products so much and so we are very disappointed by this change.

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 1:26:09 PM PDT
We want to help all babies get an excellent nutritional start, so we reintroduced Enfagrow PREMIUM Toddler unflavored formula for older babies and toddlers 9 months and up in January 2012. Corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup have a sweet taste, whereas the corn syrup liquids and the corn syrup solids we add to our infant formulas have a sweetness level similar to lactose, the main carbohydrate in breast milk. The corn syrup solids used in our products help result in a product with carbohydrate level, taste, and tolerance similar to human milk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to mix, no film - the old "classic" formula is back!, May 4, 2012
It seems Enfamil learned the same lesson Coca Cola did with the new Coke - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If you tried the "new and improved" Enfamil Toddler formula and hated it, good news! This 5-pack 15oz Enfamil appears to be the original toddler formula that our kids loved, that doesn't leave a greasy film and doesn't curdle. It is NOT the "new and improved" natural milk flavor one with corn syrup as the second ingredient that has parents up in arms.

The packaging and label on the amazon listing look the same, but it arrives in a plain box with five refill bags. It has:
* nonfat milk and vegetable oil (palm olein, soy, coconut and sunflower oils), instead of the whole milk of the "new" version
* corn syrup solids as the third ingredient, not the second
* no natural flavoring added
* the formula doesn't curdle after an hour and there is no greasy film, so washing bottles is a whole lot easier.
* the same 160 calories per 8 fluid oz as the new version; however, protein has been reduced, from 6 to 4 grams. Carbohydrates are down as well, from 21 to 16.8 grams. Fat has increased, from 6 to 8.5 g. 860 g of linoleic acid now appear on the label. In terms of vitamins Iodine, Selenium and Vitamin B12 have been added. Please see comments for additional nutrition information.

I've also found cans with the same "old" formula recently in stores (with nonfat milk as the first ingredient), mixed in with the new version with whole milk. It can be confusing so you'll need to read the label to know which is which. It's not clear if the manufacturer has quietly started phasing out its new and improved version (the refill packs with the non-fat milk formula have a 2013 expiration date vs the new formula which said 2012). In any case, it's great if they have as I haven't found another alternative for toddler formula I liked.

The Enfamil Toddler formula is balanced nutritionally for toddlers. However, it is expensive so for my twins, I'm looking at other alternatives to supplement their meals, instead of toddler formula. with a balanced diet is just as good nutritionally and a lot less expensive.Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added, Chocolate, 8 ct (Quantity of 4) can provide added nutrition and PediaSure Nutrition Drink, Lactose Free, Vanilla, 8-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 24) is indicated for weight gain and to fill in nutritional gaps, especially if you have a picky eater.

As always, check with your pediatrician when making a change in formula or diet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't a good choice for us..., February 3, 2014
This review is from: Enfagrow Toddler Transitions, 21 Ounce Powder for toddlers 9-18 months (Pack of 4) (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My grandson is 10 months old and normally drinks Enfamil or the Target brand, so I thought this would be a perfect formula for him to try. He does not have any digestive issues that we know of and was breastfed + formula fed from birth and we have always used the same formula. He is now exclusively formula fed and is quite a large baby (25 pounds) so I thought that it might be a reasonable time to start this transitions formula. The first day went fine but then I started to notice that the baby would want to eat more and seemed to be more cranky. Additionally, he was sleeping for less periods of time and waking up at shorter intervals to eat. It seemed to directly correlate with starting the new formula so we went back to the Enfamil. We might try this again once the baby gets a bit older.

The formula mixed up and dissolved well and the baby did not seem to mind the taste -- I just noticed a change in his behavior which I attributed to the new product and it resolved once we put him back on his usual formula. Will try again in the future after a couple more months.

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 9:19:34 AM PST
Hello Denise- I'm sorry to hear that Enfagrow Toddler Transitions caused your grandson to have that change in behavior. Our Enfamil Experts would like to learn more about his experience, if you don't mind. Please call us at 1-800-222-9123 (Option 3) when you get a moment. We look forward to hearing from you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nope, January 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, even with all of the sugar in this, the baby wouldn't touch it. The ingredients had me feeling like it should be an occasional supplement at best, while real, unhomogenized, unpasteurized milk wasn't available. But, the grand baby would have no part of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Full of corn syrup, i.e. fructose linked to addiction & liver damage, December 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Mead Johnson (& Co) Nutrition has 3 lines of formulas: Enfamil Newborn (ages up to 3 months), Enfamil Infant (up to 12 months), and Enfagrow Toddler Transitions (9 to 18 months) and Enfagrow Toddler Next Step Milk Drinks (1 year & up).

The sugar in milk is non-sweet lactose (disaccharide) not absorbed into the bloodstream already in the mouth, as sweet glucose (monosaccharide), which thus is not a healthy substitute for lactose. Unfortunately, milk's lactose is substituted for corn (glucose) syrup solids in Mead Johnson Nutrition formulas except Enfamil Newborn, Infant A.R., Infant Milk-Based Stage 1, and partially EnfaCare & Reguline, but not for non-sweet maltodextrin (polysaccharide). Corn syrup (solids) contains glucose and - like high fructose corn syrup - may contain fructose, which presence (sweetness) can be masked by adding other sugars. Scientists say high fructose corn syrup is addictive as cocaine. So are corn syrup solids with fructose, which content is not provided on the label. Also, high intake of dietary fructose may lead to liver damage from bacteria due to their movement from gut into the blood stream and liver.

So, would you like to start your child's addiction to sweet taste in mouth, obesity, and exposure to a potential liver disease (NAFLD) when he/she is an infant/toddler, wait for later, or maybe not to accustom the child to corn syrup at all in order to avoid the fructose desire/addiction, as concentrated fructose is not common in nature, humans were not exposed to its consumption, and thus are vulnerable even those who are not obese yet?!

Enfamil Newborn is characterized by easy to digest proteins, choline, DHA, and vitamin D. Enfamil Infant is characterized by choline and DHA. Enfagrow Toddler Transitions is characterized by DHA, choline, calcium, vitamin D, and antioxidants. Enfagrow Toddler Next Step is characterized by calcium and vitamin D, and is available in two flavors: vanilla and natural milk.

DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) can be produced in the body from vegetable oils and thus is not need to be supplemented with them. A study found that preterm infants fed DHA had better developmental outcomes, but not the full-term infants, term infants (1-12 mo) who develop normally, or the toddlers. Choline is found in sunflower, soy, cod fish, broccoli, cauliflower, milk, chicken, etc. Endurance athletes and people who drink a lot of alcohol may be at risk for choline deficiency and may benefit from choline supplements.

1.0 out of 5 stars not so good, August 8, 2011
My baby had a very loose and undigested stool from this "new and improved" formula. The company should add this new formula to their line instead of changing it, so parents have choices.

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 1:18:34 PM PDT
Thank you for your suggestions, and I am happy to share with the appropriate personnel. We want to help all babies get an excellent nutritional start, so we reintroduced Enfagrow PREMIUM Toddler unflavored formula for older babies and toddlers 9 months and up in January 2012.

3.0 out of 5 stars May not work for all, May 20, 2011
For my daughter it didn't work. Initially she was ok but later on she started showing like her tummy getting upset/indigestion. We stopped this and switched to regular cows milk.

So may be the formula won't be working out good for all infants. Make sure you closely observe your infant after you give this formula to see no issues and continue if they like it, to be on the safe side.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, April 27, 2013
Good qualify but expire date of the formula is sep 30,2013, a little close to the date I placed the order

5.0 out of 5 stars its formula, January 26, 2011
it's formula. my kid likes it. but we transitioned him to whole milk now. So it was good while it lasted.

we never tried the other toddler-range formula, and we started our kid off on Enfamil, so we don't have anything to compare against. However, I believe some pediatricians recommend that you stick with one brand and not hop around, so that's what we did.

Our kid never complained about the taste of the formula, though he's actuall quite a picky eater (it turns out)

We're on DHA-added whole milk now, but do keep our can of enfagrow as an emergency backup.

Rate and Discover Movies