5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love this stuff
Published on November 29, 2010 by L. Stokes

The manufacturer commented on the review below
Published 12 months ago by Eugene Tenenbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love this stuff, November 29, 2010
L. Stokes (Northern Calif) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enfagrow Toddler Next Step Vanilla Powder Can, for Toddlers 1 Year and Up, 24 Ounce Powder Formula (Packaging May Vary) (Health and Beauty)
I worry that my Toddlers don't get enough iron, calcium and vitamins. So, I add a scoop of the Enfagrow to their milk in the morning. They love the vanilla taste and I'm happy they are getting a good start to their day. Would definitely recommend it to anyone concerned about their child's nutrition. I think it would be a little too sweet, and get expensive, to give them full cups of the formula each day. But adding a scoop to plain whole or soy milk gives good flavor and makes the formula last longer. Give it a try, you'll be surprised how much your kids like it. Each morning I hear "can we have our special vanilla vitamin milk"??

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been a great product., December 27, 2010
Erica (LAS VEGAS, NV, US) - See all my reviews
I have been happy with this formula, I did some research on the sugar content... I found that most of the sugar is actually from the lactose in the milk, only 4 grams is actually "added" to the formula. (Even skim milk has a good amount of sugar). This is something I buy to supplement if I feel my 2 year old hasn't been eating enough (you know how 2 year olds are!) then I give her a cup of this to ensure she gets nutrients. She does love it though and sometimes begs for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for getting DHA and Iron for picky eaters, compare amazon with other B & M sales and coupons, October 23, 2013
My son was very picky about eating when transitioning him from breast milk/formula to whole milk. He also refused whole milk at that time. I started putting a scoop of enfagrow in his milk and he liked that enough to make the switch to whole milk. I like that he is getting DHA and Iron through the Enfagrow. He is also getting bone-strengthening calcium and vitamin D antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, and E prebiotics, which are designed to help support digestive health. This makes me feel better knowing that he is getting some vitamins on days that he refuses some of the healthy veggies and other food that I give him.

Some people mix enfagrow with water. However, since we mix enfagrow with milk, and only use one scoop per 8 ounces of milk, a container of Enfagrow lasts us a month. Amazon has competitive prices as I usually see it for around 22 - 25$ in target or CVS in NY. However, watch for sales on Enfagrow. Sometimes Target or CVS will run sales for around $17 per container. Enfagrow also puts out $5 off coupons on its website sometimes that you can print. And if you call Enfamil monthly (the company that makes Enfagrow) they will send you a 5$ off check that you can combine with an Enfagrow printable coupon for really good savings.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Full of corn syrup solids, i.e. fructose linked to addiction & liver damage, December 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The manufacturer's comment below is questionable in 5 aspects. 1) The corn syrup (CS) solids can be mildly sweet as lactose, but still contain a lot of fructose. 2) The sweetness/presence of fructose can be masked by other not sweet sugars. 3) The fructose content in the solids is not provided on the label. 4) The even mildly sweet addictive solids are not the healthy replacement for non-addictive lactose naturally occurring in milk, as the issue is addictiveness and not only the sweetness. 5) Because CS solids are not the only ingredient in the formula, as is high-fructose CS in candy or soft drinks, it does not make CS non-addictive similarly to marihuana mixed in brownies and not just smoked alone.

REVIEW:
Mead Johnson (& Co) Nutrition has 3 lines of formulas: Enfamil Newborn (ages up to 3 months), Enfamil Infant (up to 12 months), and Enfagrow Toddler Transitions (9 to 18 months) and Enfagrow Toddler Next Step Milk Drinks (1 year & up).

The sugar in milk is non-sweet lactose (disaccharide) not absorbed into the bloodstream already in the mouth, as sweet glucose (monosaccharide), which thus is not a healthy substitute for lactose. Unfortunately, milk's lactose is substituted for corn (glucose) syrup solids in Mead Johnson Nutrition formulas except Enfamil Newborn, Infant A.R., Infant Milk-Based Stage 1, and partially EnfaCare & Reguline, but not for non-sweet maltodextrin (polysaccharide). Corn syrup (solids) contains glucose and - like high fructose corn syrup - may contain fructose, which presence (sweetness) can be masked by adding other sugars. Scientists say high fructose corn syrup is addictive as cocaine. So are corn syrup solids with fructose, which content is not provided on the label. Also, high intake of dietary fructose may lead to liver damage from bacteria due to their movement from gut into the blood stream and liver.

So, would you like to start your child's addiction to sweet taste in mouth, obesity, and exposure to a potential liver disease (NAFLD) when he/she is an infant/toddler, wait for later, or maybe not to accustom the child to corn syrup at all in order to avoid the fructose desire/addiction, as concentrated fructose is not common in nature, humans were not exposed to its consumption, and thus are vulnerable even those who are not obese yet?!

Enfamil Newborn is characterized by easy to digest proteins, choline, DHA, and vitamin D. Enfamil Infant is characterized by choline and DHA. Enfagrow Toddler Transitions is characterized by DHA, choline, calcium, vitamin D, and antioxidants. Enfagrow Toddler Next Step is characterized by calcium and vitamin D, and is available in two flavors: vanilla and natural milk.

DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) found in fish oil is an omega-3 fatty acid that can be synthesized in humans. A study found that preterm infants fed DHA had better developmental outcomes, but not the toddlers.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 25, 2014 8:12:05 AM PDT
Hello Eugene, and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. As you had stated, corn syrup solids are not the same as high-fructose corn syrup. High-fructose corn syrup has a sweeter taste than the corn syrup or corn syrup solids that we use in our products. The corn syrup solids we add to our products have a sweetness level similar to lactose. Lactose does not taste as sweet as table sugar. Many health care professionals encourage families to limit their intake of sugars, including corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup, because of increasing obesity rates. When a health care professional has encouraged a family to limit their intake of corn syrup, it is because it is often used in foods of limited nutrient quality, such as candy or soft drinks. Infant formula is designed to provide all the nutrients your baby needs. The corn syrup solids used in our products help result in a product with carbohydrate level, taste, and tolerance similar to human milk. I hope that you have found this information helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life saver - must try for parents of finicky toddlers, January 30, 2012
Greg "Greg" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
My son is a very picky eater and was only 2 percentile in weight at his 1 year check up. After breastfeeding for 1 year, he refused all milk and formula options. He was looking thin and unwell. Enfagrow vanilla was the one and only remaining formula that I had not tried. I bought into the controversy about the sugar and flavoring.

In Dec., I bought one can to try. Incredibly, my son LOVES it. He has been drinking about 15-20 oz of Enfagrow Vanilla for a couple months now and is just THRIVING on it. The formula enabled us to stop trying to force him to eat so the food wars have come to an end. He now happily eats his finger foods, allows us to feed him his solids and loves his formula morning and night.

Enfamil, thank you so much for such a great product. Parents of the many picky eaters out there, give this product a try. It was such a life changer for us. We are the most appreciative parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Formula hating Daughter loves this., January 10, 2014
My daughter was exclusively breastfed for her 1st 10 months. After returning to work I pumped and pumped around the clock, but would only get about a feeding and a half for her. I tried so many formulas, she hated them all. And I couldn't blame her, they all tasted like crud compared to perfectly sweet breast milk. Her diapers would be so dry by the time work was over, she just refused all her afternoon formula bottles (However on non working days her diapers were soaking, so my supply was fine). at 12 months I thought that we would both get relief from the misery of trying to pump an inadequate amount of milk, but she hates cow's milk . At 13 months I gave this a try and found she loves it! It tastes great. She drinks it at daycare, nurses in the evening and morning and normally gets a serving with lunch on the weekends. I feel so much better knowing she's drinking enough at daycare now.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars remove the corn syrup and try again, December 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not entirely sold on the benefits of this milk formula. Some of the ingredients are downright scary - corn syrup solids is listed as the second ingredient; although others promise to be beneficial -- omega-3s, calcium and vitamin D, for example.

The only benefit to this product is that it's shelf stable, which means you can take it with you while travelling or in emergencies. Also, of course, you can try feeding the toddle smoothies and juice rather than this formula with corn syrup.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 25, 2014 8:18:55 AM PDT
Hello- Corn syrup solids are often used to replace lactose in our lactose-free products. Corn syrup solids were chosen as the carbohydrate source for reasons of taste and impact on product tolerance. The corn syrup solids used in our formulas help result in a product with carbohydrate level, taste, and tolerance similar to human milk. We are confident in the safety and quality of our products, and we believe that with our experience comes an obligation to achieve high standards and to serve our community.

3.0 out of 5 stars The first one our breastfed/cow's milk drinking baby will tolerate, December 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been trying to find a formula that seemed reasonably nutritious for my 15-month to drink when we're caught without milk or on the go. We've tried several formulas that she wouldn't touch with a 39 1/2 foot pole, but this one, she's okay with. Of natural milk and the vanilla flavor, she prefers the vanilla (though she much prefers real milk to both). At first I was reluctant to give the baby vanilla milk, but they both seem to have corn syrup solids in the ingredients, so I don't think the vanilla's any sweeter.

She's a breastfed baby who will eat anything: any vegetables, stinky cheese, mild curry, garlicky sauces, plain yogurt. But except for this, she has loathed any formula I've tried to get her to drink. And while it's certainly not her favorite, I will do in a pinch.

The use-by guidelines on these are pretty short, so I've been storing it in the fridge and will probably move it to the freezer unless we use it up pretty quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Approved, May 6, 2014
I started my son on the transiting milk drink when he turned nine months. When he turned one I switched him to this and he has been using this ever since and will continue until he is three. His Dr. and nutritionist said my son's levels are on point and to cont doing what I'm doing because I'm raising a healthy boy. I know this milk is partly the reason I'm getting such great feedback from them both. I also still use Gerber organic oatmeal and rice cereals two or three times a week for his breakfast ( in conjunction w/ eggs and veggie puree, Turkey bacon & sausage, grits, and cream of wheat). I also saw on our local New that Peds are saying this is a good product to use for toddler to get the nutrition they need in those early years. Also I didn't buy it from here. I purchased it at our local grocery store because you get a $3.00 off coupon inside. I buy four - five a month, so I end up save $15.00 or so a month. I hope this helps :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, November 25, 2013
I use it as a gift, but haven't get a chance to receive the feedback from the baby^_^. I think it fits the purpuse. I would recommend it to other people, definitely.