Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TextNow
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 18, 2012
I downloaded this app to really see if it was better then textPlus. I ran a few tests to see the difference. Here are the results. Results are for the Kindle Fire HD.
PROs for both:
-They both send free text msgs.
-They can send picture msgs.
-They can receive picture msgs.

CONs for both:
-Neither can make phone calls (both claim that they can)

textNow PROs:
-No limit on text msg characters.
-Latest version does receive a notification when you have a new msg.

textNow CONs:
-Picture msgs must be send to the @textnow.me email address in order to receive then on the app.
-(if updated to the newest version the call button shows up but still doesn't work. When you try to call it freezes.)

textPlus PROs:
-Pictures can be sent directly to the number.
-(if updated to the newest version you can call)
-Now notifications come through when you have a new msg.

textPlus CONs:
-Limited characters on each text.
-When you send a picture to someone they get a link to the picture instead of the actual picture.

Summary:
Both are very easy to use. In the end I give it to textNow, because you can send and receive pictures normally without any links. Also it's a bit faster on receiving msgs. Thanks for reading and hope this helps.

Updated: If you want to know how to update it post a comment [...]... Thanks!!!
2626 comments| 2,283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2012
This app was the best. It has absolutely no limit to the amount of characters I can type in a text. It let's me describe things in extreme detail where I couldn't with textplus because of the character limit. It also doesn't freeze like Textplus tends to. This app is WAY better than Textplus
0Comment| 1,592 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
this is better than other text app ive had even textplus.
it can call. text send and recieve pics and more and no typing limit. ThankYou technology
FREE PHONEE!
0Comment| 1,294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 18, 2013
This is a great app for kids with no phone but want to text. Text Plus gives access to chat rooms that I don't want my kids to have access to, but Text Now is JUST texting. Though I like this app, there are some negatives that I hope they will fix.
On Kindle Fire:
It doesn't refresh automatically (but none of the text apps do)
The sound notification doesn't work on Kindle
There is no notification of any kind on Kindle (you must refresh the screen yourself)
And it doesn't currently allow for building a contact list, so my kids have to type in the number each time if they clear their conversations.

It's a very basic texting app that, again, fits the purpose for which I need. If they fix the bugs for use on Kindle, it will go from a good app to an awesome app!
11 comment| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2012
This App. Is Just Like A Phone. You Can Text Send Pictures, Just Like A Regular Phone . Only Problem Is You Have To Have Wifi. Other Than That You Have A Free Phone You Can Text Off Of!!
22 comments| 467 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2013
Love this app!! I have a Kindle Fire, and started out using Text+, which I didn't really like. Then I decided to try Text Now. I am not disappointed!!
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2013
I got this app for my kindle fire mainly because I don't own a cell phone. I wanted an easier why to get a hold of people's cells and it needed to be free. I like this cause it's free, there's no character limit, I can use it from my kindle and computer and can send and receive pictures. It does have its cons but over all its a great app.
on December 4, 2012
I just got this app the other day and read some of the reviews that some of you with kindle fire wasn't able to receive picture text. Don't worry you can, but there is a trick...lol...if you press the settings button and go into My Profile you will see a Texting Address. It will kind of look like a email address. Whoever is sending you a picture text has to send it to the texting address not your texting phone number. Hope this has helped those who have kindle fire. I rated this app a 4 because I don't like having too refresh the page to see if I got a new text. also the notification sound doesn't work when I get a new text. this app could use a little more work, but is very handy too have.
0Comment| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2013
I purchased this app so my kids could use the tablet at home to text my husband and I. I had it with me for a meeting, and looked down below the phone numbers to see a small banner with, "Nikki wants to text you." Funny...I have a sister with that name. I clicked on it and it opened an adult website.

Considering that parents may want to download a free texting app for their KIDS to use, this company and this app needs to be more selective in WHO and WHAT they allow to be advertised. I would rather pay money for a texting app that would be safe from harmful ads than have this garbage pop up.

Does the texting app work? Yes..it is great. But I will be looking for one that has cleaner ads.
33 comments| 270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2012
It is WAY better than textplus. The only problems are that sometimes I get texts like, 2 hours after it is sent, and it does not have a built-in contacts list.
Other than that, This is an Amazing app.
0Comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse