Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 7, 2009
I've looked wide and far, and this is one of the few books that I have come across that seem like they try to address the actual subject of how to tune a car using a modern engine management system. Besides this book, I've also read another book you will find here on Amazon with "Engine Management Systems" in its name and a Ford Focus on the cover. Let me tell you, this book is far better because it gives you much more practial information. The other positive note is, this is probably the most recent book on the subject (that's worth reading) to come out.

To begin with, this book is a much easier read. The word count per page is not too high, it has some nice illustrations to break things up and help you visualize different concepts, and the author doesn't ramble on and on repeating the same stuff 5+ times throughout the book(like some other book I know). This book breaks the tuning process into several different stages surrounded with concepts that an aspiring tuner needs to understand and address about their particular vehicle before even getting to a dyno.

For some reviewers who said this book is incomplete and never gets to the good stuff, or that it's engineer b.s., I have a feeling that those people were looking for a book that's going to hold their hand for their particular engine management system and tell them if they have mods x, y, and z then to put 22 degrees of ignition timing in at a certain spot of their map. Not gonna happen.

I feel Mr. Banish is as clear and specific as he can possibly be in a book that appeals to everyone, without coming to your house to figure out the actual settings to input for you. He even concludes the book with a very nice summary that illustrates what the overall process is to correctly tune a car from the time you first modify the car until months after you had your dyno time. A plan of attack if you will, that should keep even a newbie on track.

I myself was not a novice before reading this book, not a professional either, but more of an experienced hobbyist. This book inevitably covers a few things most of us have heard before, but I even learned some new tricks and came to understand some concepts better than before (things that I even thought I understood fully before). A few things the author talks about are somewhat advanced/abstract, so if you don't have any first-hand experience with a standalone (like Power FC, like I have) or an intricate piggyback (such as E-manage), then a few things will likely fly over your head.

In conclusion, I can't recommend this book any more strongly if you plan on having any type of engine management on your car.
on October 2, 2007
I found the book to be most informative relative to the fundementals of Engine tuning and explained the major components and their functionality in a simple, easily understood way. Highly recommend for new or medium level tuners, or even just "enquiring minds" who want to know how the technology works. It leaves you with a strong foundation to build on.
on April 6, 2008
This book is very well written and easy to understand and follow. It starts out explaining the basics of automotive engines, controls, sensors, etc then gets into how these systems interact with each other and then how to look at the different engine paramaters to determine how to alter controls and sensors related to pressures, speeds and temps to increase engine performance. Good read for the novice as well as the advanced tuner.
on July 2, 2007
This book came right out and gave me a real tuning strategy from start to finish. A "plan of attack" if you will. It seemed to lean towards a certain brand when discussing the various systems. However, my system has customer support for that type of detail. I am confident that this book will be a major player in switching to a standalone. Worth every penny and then some in my eyes.

Sneak up on the tune and stay off of the bleeding edge.
on December 6, 2007
Logically presented. Dense with important information and thin on fluff. Stops short of hard physics. Couples what to do with the "why" it works. Walks you through EFI tuning from beginning to end.

Most books on tuning I find myself skipping chapters because the material is too simplistic. I skipped nothing in this book. There was always something new to learn in each chapter.

Great book! I highly recommend it to anyone new to EFI tuning... and those that "think" they are already have mastered the art.
on April 18, 2009
I have bought about ten specialty automotive books from Amazon so far. Two of those books covered engine tuning to various degrees. This is the best automotive book I have bought so far. It has given me the best understanding of the PCM/VCM modification I have received anywhere including specialty forums on the web. The author gives a excellent basic education on all the aspects of the combustion process the how different type of control systems try to create the optimum burn. It also helps that the majority (but not all) of the examples used in text and pictures are of the current generation Mustang and the fifth generation Corvette of which I have one of each so it is very relevant to me. He also covers the different type of tuners; chip, hardware and software run on a PC. I highly recommend this book if you are trying to understand all the aspects of tuning your car if it has EFI and a PCM.
on January 11, 2015
The author does a great job of incorporating invaluable information that's relatable to most old school and new school automotive enthusiasts and professionals.
Very good points throughout this book that will stick with you and will perhaps help you to better explain / answer questions from your friends or customers.
The chapters are so enriched with data that you will find yourself marking pages and wanting to breakout a highlighter. The only problem I found was that in doing so with a highlighter 75% of the contents inside need to be highlighted.
Easily one of the best books I've picked up in a long time!
on March 2, 2008
This is a very good book, well thought out. Easy to read and understand, even for a beginner. Step by step details of what you need to do and check from beginning to end.
on July 10, 2015
Perhaps the title should be changed to "Introduction to Engine Management". The book does a great job with covering the basics of EFI tuning. If you are unfamiliar with EFI tuning and need an intro, this book is for you. I've read through it a few times to fully comprehend the subject. You need to understand and think about what your doing. In that regard I give this book a thumbs up. It will not teach you to tune. That will only come with experience and by trail and error. The examples in the last couple of chapters barely scratch the surface.
on January 20, 2013
Don't purchase this if you want a step by step tuning instruction guide for your application, this isn't an instruction manual for your car or software. Do purchase this if you want to learn the concepts and methods of tuning which you can then apply to your application. Easy and informative read!