5.0 out of 5 stars Best tuning book I've found, by far
Published on April 7, 2009 by C. King

2.0 out of 5 stars More for beginners than advanced tuners
This book was a disappointment. The overview of EFI was fine, but the advanced tuning section was very thin. The author never got into any concrete tuning advice but just kept stressing to "give the engine what it wants". The rest of the book was spent on general EFI info that can be had for free by downloading Holley's tuning manual for the Commander 950 system.
Published on July 29, 2007 by Markus M. Strobl

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tuning book I've found, by far, April 7, 2009
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
I've looked wide and far, and this is one of the few books that I have come across that seem like they try to address the actual subject of how to tune a car using a modern engine management system. Besides this book, I've also read another book you will find here on Amazon with "Engine Management Systems" in its name and a Ford Focus on the cover. Let me tell you, this book is far better because it gives you much more practial information. The other positive note is, this is probably the most recent book on the subject (that's worth reading) to come out.

To begin with, this book is a much easier read. The word count per page is not too high, it has some nice illustrations to break things up and help you visualize different concepts, and the author doesn't ramble on and on repeating the same stuff 5+ times throughout the book(like some other book I know). This book breaks the tuning process into several different stages surrounded with concepts that an aspiring tuner needs to understand and address about their particular vehicle before even getting to a dyno.

For some reviewers who said this book is incomplete and never gets to the good stuff, or that it's engineer b.s., I have a feeling that those people were looking for a book that's going to hold their hand for their particular engine management system and tell them if they have mods x, y, and z then to put 22 degrees of ignition timing in at a certain spot of their map. Not gonna happen.

I feel Mr. Banish is as clear and specific as he can possibly be in a book that appeals to everyone, without coming to your house to figure out the actual settings to input for you. He even concludes the book with a very nice summary that illustrates what the overall process is to correctly tune a car from the time you first modify the car until months after you had your dyno time. A plan of attack if you will, that should keep even a newbie on track.

I myself was not a novice before reading this book, not a professional either, but more of an experienced hobbyist. This book inevitably covers a few things most of us have heard before, but I even learned some new tricks and came to understand some concepts better than before (things that I even thought I understood fully before). A few things the author talks about are somewhat advanced/abstract, so if you don't have any first-hand experience with a standalone (like Power FC, like I have) or an intricate piggyback (such as E-manage), then a few things will likely fly over your head.

In conclusion, I can't recommend this book any more strongly if you plan on having any type of engine management on your car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you wanted to know about tuning but were afraid to ask, October 2, 2007
Edward R. Mowton (Moriches, Long Island) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
I found the book to be most informative relative to the fundementals of Engine tuning and explained the major components and their functionality in a simple, easily understood way. Highly recommend for new or medium level tuners, or even just "enquiring minds" who want to know how the technology works. It leaves you with a strong foundation to build on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the novice or advanced tuner, April 6, 2008
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
This book is very well written and easy to understand and follow. It starts out explaining the basics of automotive engines, controls, sensors, etc then gets into how these systems interact with each other and then how to look at the different engine paramaters to determine how to alter controls and sensors related to pressures, speeds and temps to increase engine performance. Good read for the novice as well as the advanced tuner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The info I have been looking for, July 2, 2007
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
This book came right out and gave me a real tuning strategy from start to finish. A "plan of attack" if you will. It seemed to lean towards a certain brand when discussing the various systems. However, my system has customer support for that type of detail. I am confident that this book will be a major player in switching to a standalone. Worth every penny and then some in my eyes.

Sneak up on the tune and stay off of the bleeding edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Text on Tuning I've Found Yet, December 6, 2007
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
Logically presented. Dense with important information and thin on fluff. Stops short of hard physics. Couples what to do with the "why" it works. Walks you through EFI tuning from beginning to end.

Most books on tuning I find myself skipping chapters because the material is too simplistic. I skipped nothing in this book. There was always something new to learn in each chapter.

Great book! I highly recommend it to anyone new to EFI tuning... and those that "think" they are already have mastered the art.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ONE YET, April 18, 2009
E. Gibson "Oldpanzer" (Fairfax Station, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
I have bought about ten specialty automotive books from Amazon so far. Two of those books covered engine tuning to various degrees. This is the best automotive book I have bought so far. It has given me the best understanding of the PCM/VCM modification I have received anywhere including specialty forums on the web. The author gives a excellent basic education on all the aspects of the combustion process the how different type of control systems try to create the optimum burn. It also helps that the majority (but not all) of the examples used in text and pictures are of the current generation Mustang and the fifth generation Corvette of which I have one of each so it is very relevant to me. He also covers the different type of tuners; chip, hardware and software run on a PC. I highly recommend this book if you are trying to understand all the aspects of tuning your car if it has EFI and a PCM.

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
This is a very informative book for someone just starting out in tuning and gives some pointers for the experienced. I recommend this book to anyone interested in tuning there own vehicles and needs some help getting started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence reference, good for beginners., March 2, 2008
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
This is a very good book, well thought out. Easy to read and understand, even for a beginner. Step by step details of what you need to do and check from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, November 25, 2008
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
I had taken Greg's tuning class and decided to buy the book. The book was so well written that I gave to a friend and just bought another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, January 28, 2009
RLM (Kokomo, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (Paperback)
This is one of two books I purchased for guidance on tuning my factory PCM to accommodate mechanical changes made to the engine. I read it first because it was the thinner of the two and I thought it would a good "warm up" for the other. Having read both, I much prefer this one. Although it doesn't have as much information, it has the best (that is pertinent) information with little wasted words. No book can tell you how to tune your specific vehicle; there are simply too many variables. This book gives a basic strategy to get you started and guidance on how to proceed. It is the book I will have on hand when actually tuning the EFI in my truck. Highly recommended.

Engine Management: Advanced Tuning
Engine Management: Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish (Paperback - April 10, 2007)
$24.95 $17.56