5.0 out of 5 stars Engineering in the City-- a Dad's review, January 26, 2001
Patrick J. Welch (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Engineering the City: How Infrastructure Works, Projects and Principles for Beginners (Paperback)
I have an 8 year old son who is seriously addicted to Lego building blocks and anything else that can be built. I am also a cub scout den leader and that makes me pretty good at understanding what 8 and 9 year old boys like.
They like this book! It answers some basic questions, that very subtley provide some basic engineering principles. What is BEST about this book is that every chapter has several simple projects that your child and you can do together. Again, simple, but it is suprising how educational this kind of fun can be.
My cub scouts like building bridges the best so far. You can bet we will work our way through this book and do many more projects.
Honestly, I wish a book like this existed when I was a kid. I thought engineering was all math and boring! NO SO! This book lights a fire in my imagination as well as that of my son. I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!, August 16, 2007
I totally agree with the previous reviewer; this is a fun book to read with your kids and do the activies together. It's also perfect for those awkward moments when they ask you a question like, "how does a road work?" and you don't exactly know the answer. It spells out everything in an easy-to-understand way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Teacher's Guide, February 11, 2014
Jiang Xueqin (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a very helpful guide for teachers who want to give their K-6 students a broad overview of urban infrastructure. The writing is clear and crisp, and there are a lot of accompanying diagrams and examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginning engineers to get an introduction., December 4, 2012
This book was ideal for my daughter to get an introduction to Engineering. The reading level was just right for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic books for young engineers (to be)!, February 7, 2014
Ellen (Dudley, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book easy to read, with excellent pictures. We need our young people interested in engineering and understand what it means. Fascinating! Fantastic books for young engineers (to be)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joshua chacha(Kenya), August 11, 2014
This book was indeed for me my self to get an introduction about engineering.It is good more men it will really help me achieve my goals.I apriciat the author.GOODBYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 12, 2013
I bought this book a couple years ago for my son (now almost 12). He still rereads it and enjoys making some of the projects in it. I am so happy I found it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, November 19, 2014
Great for kids, horrible for adults. Should have read the reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Came in in the condition it was said to be in., June 8, 2013
I appreciate sellers who but good, used books back into market. My kids are homeschooled, so we are constantly looking for good books to fill up our library.

$14.95 $11.94
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.