Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on February 7, 2000
Being the biggest soundtrack fanatic out there (I own over 200 soundtracks on CD/Tape/Vinyl), it is saying a lot that I consider "The English Patient" my absolute favorite. I purchased it the day after I saw the film, November 31, 1996. Ever since then, I have listened to the soundtrack every single day (give or take a few days for Christmas). I even play it at work at a bookstore where I work, where several customers each day would come up and ask what I was playing. not only is the music dream-like and poetic, it's hauntingly sad and quite depressing. Perfect for times you're pensive or need to write. Highly highly recommended.
on October 2, 2000
I sat down (alone) in the cinema on Thanksgiving Day, 1996 to see this film, and from the very first moment, when the exotic (and familiar, for me) beginnings of "Szerelem, szerelem" ("Love, love") by Márta Sébestyen and Múzsikás played, I knew it would be a film I would love. Strange to base your opinion of a film on its opening moments of soundtrack, but having been a fan of Múzsikás for many years, I knew that any composer and compiler of a film soundtrack with the taste to select this Hungarian folk revival music was associated with something of subtlety and quality. I was not mistaken to put my faith in the hands of Gabriel Yared, whose scores have depth and convey a great deal about the film and its characters. Overall I have to say that this is one of the few PERFECT soundtracks I have ever heard. I listen to it again and again and never tire of it. You will too.
on December 7, 1999
When director and writer Anthony Mighella invited Gabriel Yared to score The English Patient he was looking for a soundtrack that could follow the mosaic composition of his film, whose characters have different geographic and cultural roots. And he found it! The result is probably the most wonderful soundtrack of all times, a soundtrack full of passion that combines Hungarian sounds, blues, jazz and classic musics, not to mention the unforgettable score by Gabriel Yared for The English Patient, proving that in music, just as in memory, love lives forever.
on March 27, 2000
Of all the numerous CDs and scores that I own, if were forced to give them all away except for one, this would be my choice to keep. Yared's score is absolutely the most beautiful score I have ever heard (a distant second might be "The Mission" or "Shawshank Redemption")! I own the movie as well, and sometimes play it while I'm doing homework simply to have a feel for how the score is interwoven amongst the film. But the score alone is what makes this movie. Aside from the mildly-annoying interuptions of the non-score tracks, I never EVER skip any of Yared's pieces--they're just too good to pass up! I could probably waste plenty of space describing how exquisite this score is, but I feel that the only way to understand my sentiments is to purchase Yared's "The English Patient." Trust me, you will feel blessed to listen to it and will never get rid of it.
on July 29, 2004
I count "The English Patient" as one of my favorite soundtracks--and unlike some film critics, I found the music to work just as well on its own as it does within the confines of the movie. As a whole, the soundtrack picks up all the mood and atmosphere of the movie, but it works solo simply as rich and full-bodied music. Track 3, "Rupert Bear," is light and romantic, and Track 27, "As Far As Florence," picks up on the same musical themes as "Rupert Bear" but turns the number into a full romantic piece. I also loved the inclusion of Bach's "Goldberg Variations" on the soundtrack, which I think Hana plays on the piano at the monastery in the movie. A fun listen is Fred Astaire's "Cheek to Cheek." This is one of the most romantic, well-done soundtracks out there, deserving of the Oscar it received in 1996 for Best Soundtrack.
on March 1, 2000
Not a wasted note, no filler at all, a score that becomes greater than the sum of its parts with each listening, evokes not only the film for us once more, but also all our own longing and unfullfilled cultural memory---our wish to have encompassed and experienced the times and places of the English Patient, even to the anguish of the cuckolded husband and the lanquid pallor of empire. You can not spend your money any more wisely than in the purchase of this soundtrack. I recommend that you buy it at once. Play it often and be elevated in the esteem of both peers and loved ones.
on September 12, 2005
If you were captivated by The English Patient, you will not be disappointed with this soundtrack. Some of the vocal tracks by Ella F. and Fred A. are an interesting addition, but by no means should be a turn off.

The jewel case insert also contains a few photos from the movie's scenes, and an explanation of the soundtrack itself.

I was consumed(and still am) by the absolute beauty of this film, and the passion between Fiennes and Scott-Thomas. Just close your eyes, and this soundtrack will take you back to it all...
on April 30, 1999
What an incredible piece of work--exquisite, sultry and very melodic...This is the best score I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. It swept me away to the movie's surreal world from the very first track. Every song is tastefully done/remastered and is a pleasure to listen to. This Gabriel Yared masterpiece will put anyone in a deep trance. *Highly* recommended.
on May 31, 2002
Gabriel Yared has composed some timeless compositions and this in my opinion is his most creative to date.
Not one track is below par out of the 20+ on this CD its an instrumentally tribulant work that is so eminant of the African Locations in the film, it really captured the 1940s and i loved the nostalgic 'Cheek to Cheek' thrown in By Yared to enhance his own Music.
This CD really reminded me of Peter Gabriels 'Last temptation Of Christ' the music ranges from the haunting woodwind tradgedies to Bulgarian folklore and what I liked best was that i didnt find myself skipping tracks because some irritated me, from start to finish it moved and inspired me, and you cant say that for many Artists.
I have appreciated this soundtrack more and more as i have listened to it, on first listening to this i was mildly disappointed as i had another of Yareds work (City Of Angels)and my expectations were that the music would be the same, then i watched the film and the next time i listened to it, the music became much like a picture book improving both the soundtrack and the film. Gabriel Yared is so much more unappreciated than say 'James Horner' (titanic, braveheart ) i consider Yared much more diverse than horner as all Yareds work from 'Betty BLue', city of angels, 'the lover' etc are so different and indistinguishable to Yared, making him in my opinion one of the great pioneers of the classical music for film genre.
I would highly recommend this to any romantic, or soul searcher looking for divine inspiration by way of music.
on January 6, 2000
The English Patient is one of my favourite movies, but the reason why I love the movie is also because of the deeply introspective music. I was introduced to Marta Sebestyen and Gabriel Yared through this movie. Listening to Sebestyen's "Szerelem, Szerelem" and the songs from the CD would create a deep longing to be with your loved one ...
When you're lonely and you need a company, invite Mr Yared and Ms Sebestyen along! This CD is a must ...