Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on July 31, 2002
The price is certainly right. I used this book to teach a high-school poetry class. The selection of Blake is the weakest part of it: the selections from Innocence and Experience aren't ample enough to give a real sense for the book, and exclude some lyrics that I just couldn't do without (e.g. the "Holy Thursday" of Experience). The complete lack of notes (which originally I thought of as a plus :->) led to some unnecessary pain for students -- I remember one attempted close-reading of "The Extinction of the Venetian Republic" which toiled slowly through the poem, dealing with mysteries that wouldn't have been mysterious at all if there had been even a brief note on the political context of the poem.
On the plus side, there is not a bad poem in the whole book: every rift is loaded with ore. And it's an attractive paperback, nicely typeset, comfortable in the hands: it doesn't feel like a cheapo-cheapo book, which you'd rather expect from the price.
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2004
Dover Thrift Edition books are known for providing classical literature for a great price, without abridging the material (unless they say so of course). This anthology is no exception. The best poets of the English Romantic period are included, including two of my favorites, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth. Blake, Byron, Shelley, and Keats are also represented quite liberally.
Don't expect too much of this anthology outside of the actual poems themselves though. It is a Thrift Edition after all. The paper is strong, but not of the highest quality. There are brief introductions to each of the poets, but no real commentary or notes on the poems themselves. The editor does translate some of the ancient languages that the poets occasionally employ, like Latin and Greek. At the end there is an index of first-lines and titles. Also, I have to say, that these are not "romantic" as modern readers often use the term. "Romantic" refers to an era of art, music, philosophy, and literature where artists and writers allowed their emotions to overflow using a whole host of symbols, creating great works that owed more to the depths of the Imagination than the rational intellect. Coleridge was himself a theologian and philosopher and expressed many of his ideas of Imagination and eternal Symbol in his poems. Overall, this is a good sampling of some of the finest poetry available. Factoring in price and quantity, it is definitely 4 stars.
on January 19, 2013
Fine choice of poetry. The collection works beautifully on my Kindle app for PC. However, when I transferred this collection to my Kindle, the lists of poem titles and the links to them disappeared leaving only links to the poets. This means a lot of paging through text to get to the individual poems that are piled up on each other with little if any spacing between. There is an index of first lines at the back of the collection but this contains page numbers without links so is almost useless. I am only able to make use of this wonderful collection of poetry on my Kindle by using it with the information given on my Kindle for PC application

Why would the format be so different on PC and Kindle, when it's the same download?
HALL OF FAMEon October 9, 2006
I think most readers know what they are going to get with a 'Dover edition or reprint'. An attractive, spartan looking volume( It has changed in recent years and their volumes are more colorful) without extensive commentary or note. The works themselves.

In this case it is a collection of the poetry of the great Romantics, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Keats, Shelley, Byron.

There are of course many anthologies of this poet, most with more elaborate notes and explication.

But I love many of these poems so much that I am happy to see them again in any new edition.

The poetry of the English Romantic period is among the greatest Mankind has.

On that basis primarily I would recommend this volume.
For most of my life I have had a passion for poetry. Even though I am not a real fan of English poetry, decided to expand my horizons and read more poetry on this topic. This volume (English Romantic Poetry: An Anthology edited by Stanley Appelbaum) focuses on six poets of the English Romantic era. They include work from William Blake, William wordsworth, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, George Gordon, Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelley and John Keats.

There are numerous wonderful poems in this collection but I also found a few that were just too long and sometimes boring to read. I did like one of the long poems (Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner), but I have always loved the short poem forms best. Some of the long poems in this collection are longer than many short stories I have read. I am sure some poetry lovers enjoy these long never ending poems, but this is not my cup of tea. Nevertheless, there are many beautiful poems in this collection from some of England's most famous poets and that is why I liked it enough to give it 4 stars.

In conclusion, if you are an English poetry lover you will probably enjoy this volume.

Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Haiku Moments: How to read, write and enjoy haiku)
on November 28, 2002
Ralph Richardson was such a fine actor, how could he produce such a dreadful rendition of Coleridge and Blake? His 'Kubla Khan' sounds for all the world like a master of ceremonies at a boxing match -- 'And in the red corner, representing Xanadu...!' It's painful to listen to. He declaims and announces rather than recites. However -- and it is a big however -- Frederick Worlock's recitation of Burns and Anthony Quayle's Shelley and Wordsworth are superb. In particular, Quayle delivers Wordsworth with an insight and sensitivity that is truly remarkable. His is a carefully thought out and finely-honed performance. If these particular recordings are not available elsewhere (I have no idea if they are) then it's worth buying these tapes just for them. Worlock too is excellent, perfectly at home with Burns' dialect. But Quayle's performance is of the sort that takes you to another place.
on August 20, 2015
as another reviewer wrote: 5 stars for the poetry, one star for the Kindle formatting. I've had this problem with other Kindle books. Why can't they get the formation right? Yes this book has a lot of great poetry for practically no money, yet I wish I could return it. But I can't, can I?
on January 6, 2014
This Anthology deserves 4 stars - the kindle edition however deserves none, as it is truly disappointing.
The choice of poetry is really great - the most famous are there and a couple of less-famous gems as well. As other people noted, however, the editing of the kindle edition is really appalling in parts.
The lists of poem titles and the links to them disappeared leaving only links to the poets. The space in between the poems varies greatly - sometimes even within one poem, destroying the structure - which is really a shame. In some cases, the title of one poem is stuck under the previous poem or page.
Besides, there is no page navigation possible, so that the navigation must occur amongst the - aforementioned poorly edited - text, which can be confusing.
This Anthology - and its (kindle) readers - truly deserve better!
on January 29, 2016
Haifa academy!
Here professors four.
And verses sound beautifully.
Here writers, poets.
Musicians, wisdom it.
Language admires us.
How many? How many? Children's books.
Clips and English rhythm.
Ada Aroni to us creates a miracle.
Here and film-making экип.
The youth will glorify an instant.
Rewarding and exchange.
Impression, phenomenon.
School of experience professor Littman and Oded.
Philosophy vow.
We I will eat customs.
Amazon of treasures tone.
After all E-Book is so important it.
Here roles are various.
It is a lot of creativity, a star.
With us London and Paris.
Friendship light, Shakespeare, prestige.
Amazon is known for everything.
He will tell everything and all.
Hour of poeziya came.
The world is uniform it us collected.
Here I shone always destiny.
You are university, my country.
The beauty after all will rescue us.
Here Planet, doctrine, human race.
Photos for memory.
After all in stories we.
Let grandsons too know.
What after all the world of everything is more expensive.
The youth prospers.
With you future here.
There is a domesticity at us.
Honor the father and mother now.
Gallery!
[...]
on October 30, 2013
Alright, I'll admit it: I am a die-hard lover of Romantic poetry--the real kind. Luckily for me, this volume contains some of the best and most notable poems, many of them my favorites. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys real literature and brilliant words.