English subtitles being omitted even for big budget films. A new trend to save more money for studios?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2013 12:02:46 PM PDT
Boz says:
Is it just me or Amazons prooftexting, but I notice that a lot of the big budget filsm like the latest Superman and Pacific Rim have subtitles in other languages but not English. In the DVD days if there was one subtitle is was usually English. Now we dont even get that. Did they studios decide that if we watch it in English then we have no need for subtitles in English and therefore line their pockets with money saved in not giving English subtitles however a pittance that might be?

Is this some new trend cause it stinks for those us who have hearing problems or need to keep to sound on low if the family is asleep and we are watching a loud and noisy film, the subtitles help us keep on track with quieted dialogue.

Am I the only one who has noticed this new pattern of snubbing English speakers by ditching subtitles for us?

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 5:11:18 PM PDT
MacJunegrand says:
Read again the Product Details. Below "Subtitles: Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, French" it clearly says "Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired: English"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 11:49:00 PM PDT
Boz says:
An obviously vision imparied person thanks you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 4:15:25 AM PDT
MacJunegrand says:
Heh. No problem. I've made the same or similar mistakes in the past.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 12:36:23 AM PDT
PlanetHell says:
Mistake or not, it's actually true that other languages and subtitles are becoming less likely. I remember when a big budget film came out and it had like 3+ language choices, now it's usually just English and Spanish.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Man of Steel (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
Man of Steel (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet) by Henry Cavill (Blu-ray - 2013)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (3,809)