4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but delightful

A Carefully Crafted Rip-off

Published on December 5, 2009 by E. Kapler

1.0 out of 5 stars A Carefully Crafted Rip-off, December 5, 2009
A Carefully Crafted Rip-off

Have you ever received a colorful package of materials from IMP (International Masters Publishers)? Has it amazed you with the company's generosity ("Enhancing your Mind Body Spirit gives away over $1,000,000 in free gifts!"), enchanted you with a feeling of mystery ("The secrets of Mind Body Spirit can now be yours...") and tickled you with a feeling that you're just plain special ("Congratulations! You've already been awarded a Free Gift Package.")? The deal sounds good enough. After all, it couldn't hurt to get a free sample valued at up to $47.95 and a free gift if you reply quickly. It only costs $9.95 for the next set of cards, so why not?

This product, along with IMP in general, is an example of manipulative marketing scams at their best. Throw away the solicitation you received now before you get sucked into spending well more money than you bargained for. Sure, each packet of 12 cards "only" costs $9.95 (more like $12 after postage and tax), but what they don't tell you is that there are some 99 packets in the collection. Even with their "savings" options, this means the entire set will run you up around $1000, with each two-sided color card costing $1 a piece. Given that you can buy better books covering the same material for a significantly less amount of money, steer widely clear of IMP's scam. The little extras they throw on don't make up for the inflated cost either. The essential oils, for instance, are always diluted in a carrier oil and of generally poor quality and while I liked some of the incense they sent, five small sized sticks is hardly generous.

It's really too bad that the product is such a scam to collect. After collecting about a dozen packets myself, I found a seller on eBay offering the completed set for about $130. This, I thought, was a pretty reasonable price, and it gave me a chance to evaluate the content on its own merits aside from the unfortunate marketing. There really is some great material in the set. The pages have the visually-oriented in mind and are full of beautiful color pictures, artwork, and diagrams. I particularly like the posters, whose beauty sometimes makes them suitable for wall decorations! While lacking authority given the absence of authors and a bibliography, if you're discerning, there are plenty of gems to mine from this product in spite of its occasional factual errors. The breadth of topics includes: aromatherapy, herbal remedies, stress relief and good sleep, healthy eating, a massage course, a meditation course, a yoga course, a feng shui course, spiritual healing, world healing traditions, friendship bonds, spiritual sexuality, interpreting your dreams, an astrology course, a tarot course, a palmistry course, fortune telling traditions, using crystals, charms and symbols, nature magic, casting spells, Wiccan traditions, spiritual experiences, the craft of mediums and clairvoyants, and encounters with ghosts. That's a lot of stuff, with some sections are longer than others. If I were rating the content alone, I would probably give it three stars (slightly above average). If you can manage to get the entire set for cheap like I did, you're bound to find something that you like. Otherwise, stay away from IMP; this set is nice, but not that nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but delightful, October 12, 2007
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
I've been collecting the cards for the Mind-Body-Spirit kit for over a year now, and I love it. On the downside, it's going to end up costing me QUITE a lot--at $11/month, I'll easily have spent over $200 by the time my collection is complete. On the other hand, I was given the option to collect the cards faster and easier--three times as many, for about $17/month, and I opted against it. Why? Because half the joy is the monthly arrival of the new cards! If I got three times as many in a month, I wouldn't be able to linger over them the way I can with a smaller collection per delivery.

And I *do* linger over them. The photography is beautiful, and each topic gives you a comfortable introduction, or overview, of the topic, whether it's a particular astrological sign or the uses for lemon in healing and magic. If you want in-depth explanations of certain topics, this kit may not be for you. But if you appreciate having a beautiful, glossy-paged overview of scores of topics, giving you a better idea what you might want to research, consider this kit.

As a bonus? At least every other delivery comes with an extra treat of some sort--a CD of relaxing music, a collection of sandalwood incense, a chunk of amethyst, etc.--which has some relation to one of the cards in that delivery.

Bottom line? If you just want to save money and get a book, avoid this. But if you want a reminder approximately every month (I think it's more like every third week) of your interest in exploring ghosts, chakras, healing herbs, and many other areas of mind-body-spirt consciousness? Consider this beautifully arranged kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this set, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
I have been collecting these for a long time. I love the cards and the things that come with them. If you are interested in spirit, mind and body, then you should appreciate this collection. It will only be appreciated by those with an open mind, who are interested in learning about other cultures, their beliefs and practices. This is not just basic information. This is in depth courses and step by step instructions on hundreds of subjects, each section with a lot of fold out posters and reference charts.

Just this month I ordered the rest of the set to be sent at one time. You get a 25% off discount when you do this. It was still $267, so this is not cheap, but these really are worth it. They cover everything you could possibly think of. Herbs, oils, natural healing, alternative medicine and more. This is just one section. You have complete courses on feng shui, astrology, tarot, runes, spells, dreams, spiritual beliefs from around the globe. This still doesn't cover it all. In addition to all the information, which fills 4 huge binders full, you also receive what I called goodies in pieces. Rune set, tarot deck, essential oils, incense, stones, crystals, scented candles, lots of really great cd's and more.

If I had gone out and bought the books and items, I really would have spent at least as much as I did on this, but it would not be even close to as nice. These card pages are glossy and thick with lots of beautiful photos and illustrations.

Unlike the previous post, I personally do not like getting the cards in shipments each month. It makes everything incomplete. This is why I only gave it 4 tars. They do not ship a section at a time, which I could handle. What they do is send several cards from each section, but they skip around. So this week I may get A16, B12, D21 in the green health section. So while I might be able to read some information, I cannot study and learn any one thing in depth. Not until the kit is completed. I am sure they do this to keep you buying each week, but I didn't like it. In fact, I have read a few pages each shipment, but most I am waiting until I get my full shipment to dive in. Then I can spend the next year reading all of this information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Reference, but SO expensive..., July 9, 2011
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
After canceling my membership with IMP, I tried to find the set through an online auction. That's right. I said SET! There are so many inserts...a COMPLETE series would NEVER fit in ONE binder. Please do not be duped or allow yourself to be lied to by a second-hand seller claiming that ONE binder/"book" contains THE ENTIRE, COMPLETE set. The "Natural Healing" section alone can fill up one binder!
If a seller fails or refuses to list all sections, chapters and page insert numbers they are either a.) too ignorant to know what they have (not the orginal owner) or b.) extremely dishonest and hope you will buy one binder that they "think" is complete.
Please be VERY careful when dealing with these individuals.

So...why did I cancel my subscription to IMP? I was getting duplicate inserts and items in the mail AND I was being double charged. Another reviewer mentioned buying the set outright. If I had to do it over, that is probably what I would have done -but I never saw IMP advertise this option.
I hope this helps someone avoid the mistakes that I made...

The photos, layout and design is really nice. Right now I'm weighing my options to decide whether to start over and just buy the set outright. I'm just not sure that for the price, it is THAT nice. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Set!, January 15, 2011
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
I made another set from IMP and it wound up being FIVE binders and it just seemed to take forever to finish and I couldn't wait to do be done with it. Besides who has room for five binders. I have referred back to that set a few times so it wasn't a complete waste. Then they sent me the first packet of this set for free to look at and I really wanted to make the set but I didn't want to make another five binders. I debated over it for a while. I wrote to IMP and they told me the basic set is two binders and the enhanced set is four. After some more debating I decided to take a chance and order it and I was never sorry that I did. I wish this set would have been five binders! I opted to receive three packets at a time and I would look on my calendar and mark off three weeks so I would know when my next packet was coming. My only complaint is that I found out this was a magazine in England and they received little "extras" with each magazine and they have an extra category that we in America don't have and I want everything associated with this set! As another reviewer said, if you can get the complete set somewhere you might want to go that way, but at less than $20.00 a month, I thought it was well worth the money and it didn't make a big dent in my wallet at less than $20.00 a month, and it gives you something to look forward to. I was sad when I finished it. Each page is beautiful to look at with easy instructions to follow. If you're into this stuff I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource- but pricey-but lovely, October 14, 2011
Rhaia (Jacksonville, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
I have 2 complete sets-the American one by subscription on the accelerated plan - for the hefty amount of $600 and the British one on ebay for $180 including express shipping. I love the books, they are invaluable and eye candy-which is important for learning. The entire set is 5 volumes, and this is important. Most often the sets are incomplete and if less than 5 books, it is incomplete. The publisher will help you complete the set if you wish. Was it worth the money? Yes, there are other books on magic out there, but I continue to use this set. The set has good, solid information on magic and the related disciplines. Could this be my only reference on New Age? Yes. Is it worth the money? Tough call except that it is the first reference I go to and can find the reference quickly. So, that begs the question, is it worth the money? I am 3 years into magic and it has made our income surge 5x. White magic, no one gets hurt. I use these sets regularly.

2.0 out of 5 stars 33 1/3, July 6, 2011
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
BEWARE!people are selling these as if the set is complete. They are not! there should be three books and the one I got was the first book with about 1/3rd of the pages missing. These books are great if you can find a full copy

5.0 out of 5 stars very cool, June 27, 2013
Carina (Olympia, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
lots of just different information. I wish the spell and taro card was a bigger sections but still love it

2.0 out of 5 stars this set, February 20, 2014
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
Is the company still selling these on a monthly bases? My friend got them years ago and I would like to collect the item. Or do they have newer ones? Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Enhancing body and mind, June 18, 2013
This review is from: Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit (Ring-bound)
This set of books has all the helpful information you will ever need It is very spiritual and enlighting and much more

Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit
Enhancing Your Mind Body Spirit by IMP Inc. (Ring-bound - 2002)
Used & New from: $80.00