Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on June 19, 2012
Sound didn't work on my Macbook Air (early 2012 model) on the first try, but going into the System Preferences -> Sound -> Output you can select the output device.
Assuming the adapter is connected to a TV and you can see the computer's picture on the screen, when you go into the System Preferences, the Sound Output device selection will show "Internal Speakers" as well as the TV's name. Just select the TV and the sound will start to come out of it.

It's a one time setting; I disconnected the adapter and the sound came back to the internal speakers, but when I reconnected it came out the TV again without me having to revisit the settings. You only need to revisit the settings when you connect to different TVs.

UPDATE: I recently tried this adapter on the MiniDisplayPort of a Lenovo X230 laptop running Windows 7 and it works there too, perfectly with sound as well!
1010 comments74 of 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2013
This adapter is NOT HDCP compliant and will NOT play HD content you buy on iTunes!

What does this mean? HD movies and tv shows etc have copy-write protection in them. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It is a way for manufacturers to prevent piracy. Not all adapters are HDCP compliant such as this one. So if your like me and have most of your Video library though iTunes then DO NOT BUY this one. I had to return it. After talking to apple Tech support I found that the only way for you to watch those expensive HD movies and tv shows you bought on iTunes is to only use a device that is HDCP compliant.

Fortunately there are several reliable brands on Amazon and through Apple itself and they are fairly inexpensive. "Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (ThunderboltTM Port Compatible) " was only 11.99 on amazon and is Amazon prime. the same kind are on the Apple website for $30 more.
44 comments72 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2012
Worked great with my macbookpro for about a week then stopped working for no apparent reason... the price is great, but not sure if everyone has this same issue or not, but doesn't seem like quality. And I can't get a hold of anyone who will try and make this right.

EDIT:
Purchased another one to see if I just got a faulty one... Nope! After about 2 weeks it stopped working. Still no one will refund or replace this for me. Again... it works fantastic for a week or two, but then just stops working. Some reputable company needs to make a reliable one of these.
44 comments38 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2012
Tried using the adapter with my 2012 MacBook Air, and it didn't work at all. Tried multiple HDMI cables and TVs/monitors, but nothing was ever detected by the operating system. Ordered a different adapter and it worked fine.
22 comments13 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2012
I had no issues. Works perfectly with my 2012 MacBook Air. I did have to change audio output in system preferences.
11 comment11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2011
Well, the picture is great but there's no sound on my new Vizio -- very disappointed. Using new MacBook Air with Thunderbolt... OK, so I contacted EnjoyGadgets and they were wonderful... sent a new adapter immediately and it works perfectly. This is customer service as it should be -- friendly, fast, efficient. Thank you!
11 comment18 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2012
Connected my Mac Mini (2011) to my HDTV using this adapter. I know I could use straight up HDMI but wanted for testing purposes. Works perfect, sound plays right through the TV.

One reason I do consider using it over regular HDMI is that I can use my HDMI port on my Mac Mini as a DVI for dual monitors.

Best deal on Amazon!
on January 8, 2015
Very misleading picture of product. The picture shows a shorter cord like the Lightning adaptor and doesn't show what the plug looks like. Would return but the return postage costs as much as the cord so that's pointless.
review image review image
on February 8, 2014
Found that the price of this cable to all over the place.....Locally, Connecting Point wanted $40 for their TB to HDMI....found it on Amazon prime $10.00.... all in
Works perfectly connecting my 27' display with my MBP....no brainer....
on May 30, 2013
Works fantastic, just what I needed for demonstrations and presentations off my macbook pro in a Windows centered corporate environment.