Enjoyable book for adults? As in, is it well written enough to appeal to adults? Like the Harry Potter series?
asked by RealMatters on January 30, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 21-30 of 53 answers
A
vote
Definitely for adults!! I kept wishing it was an adult book so there'd be some steamy romance, but oh well. Fantastic book, I couldn't put the first 2 down.
bookclubber answered on August 1, 2010

A
vote
As an adult reader, I love the series. I am looking forward to the third book this month. The books have violence, love, and sacrifice. At one moment, I felt guilty for eating a muffin while Katniss shared her story of the hunger and despair of her District. The books were recommended to me by fellow educators at my school. I would also recommend these books to other adults. Enjoy!
D. Shuler answered on August 5, 2010

A
vote
Please assist because I am quite challenged in this area...My brother in law (45) loves fantasy books and reads quite a bit. I am considering getting this book as a Christmas gift. Do you all think that someone who reads Star War books to Vampire books would enjoy this book? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Regina M. Dill answered on October 29, 2010

A
vote
This book is for EVERYONE who can read! My 18 yr old daughter recommended it to me. I'm a die-hard romance fan (49 y/o), so I didn't read it until someone on the "ALL ABOUT ROMANCE'' website mentioned it as a "can't put it down" read. Wow - she was right! So, we recommended it my husband. He is a cancer researcher who travels all over the world, never has time to read for enjoyment. He brought it with him (on his IPad) to Czech Republic & e-mailed to me that he had stayed up till 2AM to finish it, even though he was tired and needed to get up early the next day! Then he bought Catching Fire and Mockingjay! I felt somewhat guilty because he really does not have time to read. So, when I recommend this book to someone, I warn them to start it only if they have time. It would be a great book as a Christmas present when many people have a little vacation time. ENJOY!
Fay answered on November 21, 2010

A
vote
I'm in my 50's. I looked at this series in the stores for a long time, thinking I wouldn't want to read it since it was a YA series and many of the reviews mentioned it being like a "reality show". This is such a bad description IMO and doesn't do them justice at all. It's more of an apocalyptic/survival series. I got the sample of the first book on Kindle and I was "off to the races" LOL. I LOVED this entire series and wish there were more of them. They are all keepers for me. I've been recommending them to everyone.
Vol Fan answered on February 25, 2011

A
vote
I read all three books in one weekend. I LOVED this series. This definitely appeals to adults.
S. Cameron answered on February 27, 2011

A
vote
I can't remember how this book was recommended to me, but I didn't realize it was a YA series until well into the 2nd book. I bought them as Kindle versions so it wasn't obvious. I was so involved in the story and the characters I had to force myself to put them down at 4:00am to try to get some sleep, then couldn't wait to pick them up again. I read all 3 back to back, the last one for 2 hours while waiting in a public place with tears running down my face! At least I wasn't sobbing! I wish there were more books in the series, but then the author finished the story to my satisfaction. I will watch the movie - I hope it does the book justice.
debo answered on February 2, 2012

A
vote
I am a 30 year old straight guy. I am currently reading the third book in the series (Mockingjay). I have loved the first two books! I have found them to be very gripping, emotional, and fun to read! The whole series is so well thought out. At first, i was surprised that its written in present tense. Every book I ever read was written in past tense. I got used to it. In fact I couldnt put it down! I highly recommend this series of books to everyone over the age of about 15 or so. (After all, it is about teenagers killing each other).
Eric answered on February 25, 2012

A
vote
Most fiction requires a suspension of disbelief. I read your review, and with all due respect it seems to me you got ticked off by a few things and decided to to a Michiko Kakutani on the novel. Some of your critiques are, in my opinion, spot on. But then you descend to mere nitpicking. For example:

"3. She lives in the slum of the District, and yet she attends the same school as Peeta and the Mayor's daughter, who's rich (by comparison) and lives all the way over on the nice side of town."

Come on, now. Many high schools in suburbia have students from the rich and poor sides of town.

"11. Are we told the punishments for speaking badly about the Capitol? "Prim might begin to repeat my words and then where would we be?" I have no idea, love. TELL ME, it's your story! Dead? Minus a hand? Bald? Eyeless? Imprisoned? What? She says she could be "shot on a daily basis for hunting, but the appetites of those in charge protect me." So the law is variable."

But the whole point is Kat doesn't know. The capital is far away and mysterious to her. What she does know is that in District 12, the authorities tend to look the other way.

"16. The Capitol is a place of technology and thus electricity, so they're in need of a lot of coal. The other districts would also be heavy electricity users for their different productions, so coal would be in high demand. Wouldn't they get better production if the coal miners weren't "starving to death"? If every child has to have their name in the hat for the Hunger Games, anyway... It's senseless for productivity, which is the Capitol's goal."

Well yah! But you assume an embedded fascistic society that desperately is clinging to power by intimidation is rational. Take Syria . . . please!

However: I do see other commenters claim you haven't actually read the book. Nonsense! Of course you have, and quite thoroughly, too, it seems to me. There should be more such reviews.

(PS, I don't know if you're tracking comments here and in your review, so forgive me for posting this in both places.)
lb136 answered on April 18, 2012

A
votes
It's absolutely enjoyable for adults! I'm 27 years old and I love this series. After I read them, I gave them to my mom, and then recently had my grandmother read them. All of us are avid readers, and we all agree that these are some of the best books we've read in a long time. We are all so excited for Mockingjay!
k_stump19 answered on August 2, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next ›