Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 20, 2010
I love tycoon games with lots of micro-management. I dislike so-called tycoon games that have pre-built buildings that you simply place on a vacant lot and watch peeps come and go. Hotel Giant 2, I was pleased to discover, is the former, allowing for full design and building of your dream hotel. This is one of the better budget tycoon games out there. However, being a budget title, it is not without flaws, a few of them quite baffling.

In a title that is so micro-manageable down to allowing you to adjust the cuisine style and individual items on your restaurant's menu, it simply boggles the mind that your hotel lacks one very prominent and important staff member: the maid. Hotel Giant 2 has no maids! When your bathrooms, for example, start garnering customer complaints because they are 'dirty,' bewilderingly your only option is to replace the offending items with newly purchased ones. Staff members are automatically hired when you place/build the item they attend; for example, if you place a 'front desk' in your lobby, a staff member appears behind it waiting to be of service. You can hire a few additional staff members, such as eatery servers and captains, but you can't hire maids (or security). You can also change staff uniform styles and colors, increase/decrease salary, fire an individual, and invest in staff training (presumably for better service).

From the Main Menu, Hotel Giant 2 offers three modes of play; Campaign, Random, and Sandbox. Be aware that Sandbox in HG2 means pre-existing hotels where all you can do is watch. You cannot alter or build anything. The mode you want to choose for this feature is Random. Random allows you to set your location, type of hotel, starting money etc etc, and built to your heart's content (interior and your exterior grounds), although you do have a time limit. The Campaign screen has three additional options; Learning, Hotel Giant (the actual Campaign), and Random (unlike the Main Menu Random, here you only select the difficulty).

There are some really nice gameplay features included with Hotel Giant 2. One is Layout Stamps. When you build a room, whether that be a guest room or a restaurant or a business center etc etc, you can give the layout a name (this is also good for when you advertise; you can advertise your restaurant, for example, by name rather than by the default "Restaurant 1." Much classier!). Then, if you want to build the same room again, you just pick the Stamp and one-click build an exact copy. This saves heaps of time, especially when to comes to building guest rooms, where you want to place maybe 10 rooms per floor. You only have to spend time designing it one time. This is also a real safety net for if you accidentally delete your room. If you've saved the layout, you can just use the Stamp to put it back! There is also the ability to tweak and save your default wall and floor textures by room, so that they will always appear when you build that room.

There are a ton of items included (some 1400) to build to your heart's content. Many items are customizable for additional services; example with the lobby front desk, clicking the desk gives your four options--Information, Concierge, Cashier, and Reception; or you can decided whether your TV shows cable, satellite, moves etc; or if a bathroom is stocked with quality soap, toothpaste, shampoo etc. There are even more items that you can unlock; perks for having a customer 100% satisfied.

Customer satisfaction, filling up your vacant rooms, and managing where your money is coming in and going out, is the key to succeeding in Hotel Giant 2. This is a lot easier said than done! HG2 is challenging, maddening, fun, time consuming, and very addictive! Learning to balance everything takes time and patience. I purchased the Download version because I wanted to start playing right away, although this does have one disadvantage over the Boxed version (I assume) because there is no manual included. Best tip I have for you if you buy the Download version is to hunt down the manual online and print it out. This will save you from future frustration!

In conclusion, if you like micro-management tycoon games, can look past a few short-comings of a budget title, and can stand the frustration of failure (I have been playing for several days and I have yet to beat the first chapter of the Campaign!), then you will probably enjoy Hotel Giant 2 as much as I am!
VINE VOICEon January 29, 2010
I've had this game for a while. Southpeak is the North American distributor for Hotel Giant 2 as Nobilis was the European distributor. You can download the game off of Nobilis' website however, you will find it difficult to email them as they rarely respond to you. The online checkout company, responds all the time. I even emailed Southpeak and they were quick to respond also. They were nice enough to send me the update/patch link for HG2 as on Nobilis' website, it had that darned .rar extension on its patch.

Hotel Giant 2 is the sequel to the not bad but buggy (and sloppy interface) Hotel Giant. To North and South Americans, it was called Maximum Capacity which was distributed by joWood (don't get me started with jowood). There are several modes: Campaign, Learning, and Sandbox. The Learning mode is more like a tutorial that teaches you the concepts and basic runaround of the game. As you reach the goals, you can move on to a more challenging goal(s). For instance, in the first few Learning modes, you are shown how to access the information windows, and how to lay down furniture. You are then asked to set up a business center and/or a Spa. Some goals might ask you to create a hotel with a certain amount of business guests, a business center with a certain amount of visitors, and/or a certain satisfaction level for the types of rooms required. The Campaign mode allows you to pick a hotel and complete a set of goals within a amount of time. In Sandbox mode, you can see a hotel that is fully furnished. I guess it's nice to see what a fully furnished hotel looks like but when you think of Sandbox mode, it would mean no limits to money, and you have complete freedom.

You can't manipulate anything outside of your hotel, you can only work on the inside. There is a lot of furniture and other objects to place in your hotel. Each type of room (business center, lobby, guest room, jewelry store, bakery, bar, coffee shop, pool) has it's own set. First you must create your room and it would be nice if you can create corners instead of the standard 4 square box. The main problem that I have and it's frustrating is when you create a room and "paint yourself in a corner" after you filled the entire floor up. If there is a wall in the way, you cannot change that section of the room to make it fit. It also would be great if we can build our own hotel. All of them come pre-made, you just have to furnish it. it would of been nice to see more objects for the lobby. The front desk/concierge are not very animated as well. It would of also nice to see the bellhops take the luggage. After you've played this a good amount of time, you will begin to get bored from all the repetitive action. After a few hours playing it, my hands were hurting from all the point and clicking. Creating rooms needs more flexibility.

The graphics are of great quality. For a budget title ($19.99) the graphics are eye-catching. There is some issues with path-finding. One of my guests spent at least 20 minutes trying to get out of the changing room in the pool. The guest had enough room to maneuver and unlike Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, you couldn't pick him/her up and "show them the way."

All in all, Hotel Giant 2 is much better than its predecessor. The graphics are eye-catching, and the gameplay is very nice. The only problem is that it can get repetitive. At first you will love it but later on, you will get bored. Putting it away for a little while, will make you come back to it. Some added content would be nice. This is the era of the expansion packs lol.

In the direct download version, Tages DRM was included. You get a serial number. Not much was told about Tages when I bought the game as I found out when I was going through the files to initially download it. I had to download 5 files and the installer. One of the files had Tages in it. I also got an email from the company I bought the online version from, "congratulations, you have been granted more installs," because I lost the initial serial number when I switched computers from my Core2Duo (Conroe) to i7 920 Monster Machine. Yes, to some this would infuriate, but for me, I've never had any problems with Tages. The minor inconvenience is asking for my serial number. But then again, if I bought the box ( I had an option to buy the boxed version), I would of had it. Starforce DRM only gave me problems and I do not buy anything with Starforce in it.
55 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2010

From the Main Menu, Hotel Giant 2 offers three modes of play; Campaign, Random, and Sandbox. Be aware that Sandbox in HG2 means pre-existing hotels where all you can do is watch. You cannot alter or build anything. The mode you want to choose for this feature is Random. Random allows you to set your location, type of hotel, starting money etc etc, and built to your heart's content, although you do have a time limit. The Campaign screen has three additional options; Learning, Hotel Giant (the actual Campaign), and Random (unlike the Main Menu Random, here you only select the difficulty).

on December 3, 2011
I love the game itself; I could spend hours creating my hotel, it's a very detailed game. However, after spending hours upgrading and tweaking, whenever I go to save the whole game locks up, and nothing ends up saving-- essentially wasting all of my time. I wanted to send a private message to the seller, but was not able to find the option of contacting him directly.

Anyway, if anyone else has had the same issue and found a solution, please let me know!

Overall, it's a very fun simulator game.
on March 26, 2011
I've played a handful of "tycoon" and business games, and I'd say this ranks up there as far as quality goes, but I spend a far greater amount of time building bathrooms and placing pictures on the wall, and laying out tables for a restaurant than I do actually making or losing money. The only redeeming feature this game has is I can design a room, and copy that room with all the stuff in it (the beds, couches, etc) throughout the hotel. But I still have to work to get the room size right to make sure I don't have a bunch of extra space on each floor that I can't get a room into.

"Railroad Tycoon" 1, 2, and 3 are still by far the best business simulation games I have ever played. With these games, I'm not spending time arranging the seats in the passenger cars, or building each individual locomotive as I would with this hotel game.

There are some scenarios that already have a layout, but they basically tell you, "the layout stinks, tear everything down and start over."
on May 3, 2014
Actually, it's probably one of the most underrated simulation games in general. Most of the negative reviews are from first person shooter fans who can't grasp business simulation games or people who simply didn't take long enough to learn how to play.

Hmm, where to begin. The graphics are pretty sweet. Imagine Sim Tower, but with modern graphics similar to Moove Online. You can control everything about the camera views. It's full 3D with intuitive camera controls, so please do not listen to the noob who said you can't control the camera. You can even walk around your hotel from the guests' perspective.

Another aspect of the game I love is the realistic and advanced business/finance elements. Unlike Sim Tower, you actually have to worry about balancing customer satisfaction and profitability in this game. You have to deal with everything from the demographics of your guests to their complaints about low quality hair dryers. This really would be a great simulation to train actual hotel/resort executives. I would dare to guess Hotel Giant 2 actually started out as a training simulation but then turned into a game. It's just so detailed when it comes to the profitability aspect and customer satisfaction element. I was shocked at how one person said it's more of an interior design game than a business game. Believe me, while it does have great interior design elements, it's way more about profit margins and market research than about design. I wonder if that person even knew about the financial information view.

But sadly, that is probably the reason for all of the negative reviews. People who aren't into simulation games or are only into easy "Cake Mania" type simulation games would probably not like this game. It's very in-depth and you can't just build a top notch hotel within a few easy hours like you can with most of the popular simulation games.

As far as decorating your hotel, the purchase mode is very similar to The Sims. Wallpaper, sofas, TVs, etc. I would consider this another great thing about the game. Easy to decorate and rearrange things.

And I feel like I havn't even scratched the surface yet. I'm still on the first level, where you start out with a hotel in Paris near the Eiffel Tower. Which reminds me, you can actually scroll around and see the rest of the city too, which is not even necessary, but it's still pretty neat. Great looking buildings and cars everywhere. I'm surprised at the level of effort they put into this game. It's a real shame it didn't get the recognition it deserved. Furthermore, the game has a campaign style mode where you can run mutliple hotels in multiple cities once you gain enough money, so it's not just a "level" style where you move onto the next level when you're done with one hotel. It has 100% replay value. You can always keep improving and modifying your hotels.

If you are willing to take the time to learn an extremely detailed and realistic hotel simulation, then get this game and you'll love it. But if you like the type of business games where the only thing you have to worry about is hawking cupcakes or lemonade to your customers without worrying about demographics, revenue, or staff performance, then this game might not be for you.

I hope they make a 3rd game, but due to it's poor commercial performance, I doubt they will. :(
on November 27, 2012
If you like sim games, you'll probably like Hotel Giant 2. It's a little frustrating for the first 20-30 minutes as you figure out the basics, but after that, it's great. I didn't see a manual included with the download, but with a little Googling I was able to find a PDF version that clarified a few things (particularly the room sizes and associated "class" ratings).

My only real complaints while playing were that (a) all rooms had to be perfectly rectangular, which was awkward on floors that had unusual layouts, and (b) a lot of the wall choices were really ugly. A couple of times, the game seemed slightly buggy when I first opened it, but exiting the hotel and going back inside was always enough to fix the problem.
on February 18, 2015
Not very happy with this product. I just downloaded it for my Windows 8.1 system and found that the RunTime compnonents in the game were not compatible with the Windows 8 system. In the past, I have used games that were from other platforms on this system as far back as Windows XP and they ran just fine, so that tells me that Southpeak has some major programming issues within their department. What HAS happened is that when the screen loads, it iscompletely white and shows no graphics. So, if you have a newer system, this game is not worth the $4.99
on February 1, 2011
So I was in the market for a downloadable game on a snowy day and came upon Hotel Giant 2. I love simulation games (GOOD simulation games), so here is my fair take on Hotel Giant 2: The regular price was $20 and I got it for $10. You'll probably be entertained for yours money's worth, but there is a limit to how how you're likely to enjoy playing this. First off - you don't design your own hotel. You use the selection of templates available to you. The music is decent, and the graphics aren't awful unless you zoom in and it looks kind of cheap. It took me a while to figure out my way "around", and don't bother with the tutorial - its useless! The design/furnishing aspect of the game is very "Sims"-y. You'll plop in rooms and areas such as a restaurant, bar, cafe, library, gym, etc. as your customers demand. Everything can be customized - whether the tv's in your room have satellite/cable tv or not and how high-quality the toiletries are (straight down to the blow dryer and soap, you have to set each item). This is going to require a ton of of tweaking, sometimes to an aggravating degree. Customers are hard to please and having anything less than a high-end hotel operation seems impossible if you want customers. Getting the satisfaction rate up on any part of your hotel requires a lot of spending and tweaking. Its not an easy game, even set to the easy mode. For the low price, it was worth the temporary entertainment, but there's only so much you can do with the game.
on November 7, 2011
I've been looking for a new (to me) tycoon game to play and I'm very satisfied with this one. Koala's review is awesome and pretty much contains all you need to know (especially the part about playing the random option).

The first negative I've really noticed is that the mouse clicking of items and scroll bars is giving my Windows Vista (64 bit) some difficulty. It takes many tries to gain focus on the items I'm clicking on. Sometimes, it's more responsive if I right click first and then left click. And on some of the popup boxes with scroll bars, while it scrolls the list with the mouse, it also moves the graphic display of the hotel layout at the same time. This is distracting and a bit annoying, but able to be looked past to play a great tycoon game again.

The second negative is that I looked for a user manual and opened the pdf file, only to find that all it says is temp HG2 manual.

Other than that, this game is a worthwhile buy for all those who enjoy playing tycoon games. I consider it similar to Airport Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon.

See 1 answered question