Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

James Blake seemingly came out of nowhere in 2010 with a couple of vinyl EP releases that quickly created a sizable buzz and eventually lead to the release of his debut album earlier this year. Now only 6 months later already comes a new release.

"Enough Thunder" (6 tracks; 26 min.) continues the electronic minimalist sound of earlier releases, and to great effect. The opening track "Once We All Agree" is the first of several piano-based tracks on here (albeit with plenty other stranger sounds). "We Might Feel Unsound" is probably my favorite track on here, entirely electronic, and with interesting underlying pulses. "Fall Creek Buys Choir" is a new track co-written and co-performed with Justin Vernin (a/k/a Bon Iver), and I'm quite sure you've never heard Bon Iver like this, it's yet miles further away than their recent self-titled is from "For Emma"). As is the custom for James Blake, he includes a cover on this release as well, namely Joni Mitchell's "A Case Of You" (from her "Blue" album"), but Blake transposes the singer/guitar setting to a singer/piano setting. Other than changing it from guitar to piano, it is a surprisingly straight take on the song, and not my favorite moment on this release (this track was originally recorded for a BBC 1 show earlier this year). "Not Long Now" is probably the most "traditional", as in: electronic/chill sounding track on here. This release concludes with the title track, and again is just Blake and his piano.

In all, I quite like this release (don't call it an "EP", as it's only 12 min. shorter than the album released earlier this year, how about a "mini-album?), even though it is not quite as strong as the debut album, which surely will end up high on my "Albums of the Year" list. Blake has done some sporadic touring of the US this year, but unfortunately I did not get a chance to see him live. Can't wait for that opportunity at some point. Meanwhile "Enough Thunder" is a good addition to/companion to the stellar debut album from earlier this year. Looking forward to what James Blake will bring us next.
on November 5, 2011
James Blake's excellent cover of "A Case of You" is easily my favorite of any of his songs that I've heard, and a couple other tracks on this EP (especially "Enough Thunder") are nearly as great as that song. I love this quiet, piano-driven style and traditional lyrical framing much, much better than the beats and repetitive lyrics of his self-titled album. I enjoy that album too, but I think its best tracks are the ones that are similar in style to the ones on this EP. I hope he makes a full length album that sounds like this. It's slow burning music to be listened to at night with the lights out, to be sure, but as far as I'm concerned that's not a bad thing at all.
on November 1, 2013
In terms of genre, it is hard to put a single word on was Mr.Blake is trying to convey. In this case, the best way to describe it on his terms would be experimental. Not quite dub-step, not quite a big dance tune, not quite a ballad. Just an electronic and harmonic space.

That's definitely something to love about James Blake. He manages to produce a wonderful "space" in his music. One minute the music is phasing his electronic rhodes and auto-tuned voice in all directions then two tracks later he is singing a cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You." Dude has range! Some standout tracks are:

1. "Once We All Agree" - Repetitious lyrics and chords. This is a song that, when in the right state of mind, one can become completely lost.

2. "We Might Feel Unsound" - Again, Blake doesn't stray from repetition but this time it has more of a pulse. The tone is a new extention of the previous track with tight drums answering to one another.

4. "A Case of You" - A big favorite of fans and Blake alike, this is a fantastic cover of Blake's favorite artist Joni Mitchell. He sings beautifully and with such conviction.

James Blake clearly creates the music that he wants to make. There are no outside influences twisting his sound into something more palatable, consumable, or sellable. If you enjoyed Blake's first album then give this one a chance. Don't be so swift to shut it out. And remember, keep your ears open!
on October 16, 2011
James Blake picked up where his self-titled album left off. This album is patient with many repetitions and subtle surprises. It takes a few listens to realize he is still experimenting and that this album goes even further than his last towards a new musical direction. His singing and the production of his vocals are even better than his last. There are no real pop tracks on this album, but it's subtle innovation keep it interesting for multiple listens. Again, his lyrics don't really stand out- most of the time I'm not sure what he's saying, but they are adequate enough to capture a mood. He also covers a female vocalist again and seems to excel at it-this time with joni mitchell's 'A Case of You'.
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2013
Something about James Blake's voice drives me crazy. I love it. I probably listened to this album 20 times back-to-back after I purchased it. I "A Case of You" cover is great. It would make Joni Mitchell jealous. Download it for yourself and see.
on May 30, 2015
One of my all time favorite albums from my favorite artist, even better on vinyl! And the best part about it is how cheap it was! Very satisfied with my purchase! If only all records were this cheap...
on May 29, 2014
This record is great on it's own merits, but it has also proven to be a powerful aphrodisiac as well. Yes, I also reviewed Overgrown this way.
on July 17, 2013
I just love his music. I own almost all of his albums. He's a awesome singer. I give this a 5 star just because I love his music.
on December 30, 2014
It's hard to go wrong with this album. It is beautiful from beginning to end. This album on vinyl is practically heaven!
on January 29, 2013
This record is great. I have been a James Blake fan for a while, and this is a great addition to my collection.